SEBI's latest circular on framework for shortselling - Jan 2024

On 5th January 2024, SEBI issued the latest circular on the framework for short-selling adding two new provisions where institutional investors now have to disclose upfront whenever they place a short-sell order and exchanges shall publish the information for the public every week.

Here’s a breakdown of what changes and what doesn’t.

What changes for retail traders?

Nothing at all. This circular mainly addresses the additional disclosures that institutions need to make when they wish to short-sell a stock.

What is short-selling and who can short-sell?

“Short selling” is selling a stock that the seller does not own at the time of trade.

As per SEBI, All classes of investors (retail and institutional investors) are permitted to short-sell.

How can one short-sell?

One can borrow the stock that one wishes to short using the Securities Lending and Borrowing(SLB) mechanism.

This circular is a step in the right direction where SEBI intends to introduce a full-fledged securities lending and borrowing scheme that shall be simultaneous with the introduction of short selling by institutional investors.

Naked short selling shall not be permitted

Naked short selling shall not be permitted in the Indian securities market and accordingly, all investors would be required to mandatorily honor their obligation of delivering the securities at the time of settlement.

Note: Naked short selling is already banned in not only Indian markets but also in most of the major markets like the US.

Institutional investors cannot do day trading

No institutional investor shall be allowed to do day trading i.e., square-off their transactions intra-day.

In other words, all transactions would be grossed for institutional investors at the custodians’ level and the institutions would be required to fulfill their obligations on a gross basis. The custodians, however, would continue to settle their deliveries on a net basis with the stock exchanges.

Note: this is the standard practice at present. so, there’s no change here

Nothing changes for stocks traded in the F&O segment

The securities traded in the F&O segment shall be eligible for short selling. SEBI may review the list of stocks that are eligible for short-selling transactions from time to time.

Upfront disclosure by institutional investors:

The institutional investors shall disclose upfront at the time of placement of order whether the transaction is a short sale.

However, retail investors would be permitted to make a similar disclosure by the end of the trading hours on the transaction day.

Note: This is the standard practice at present. So, there’s no change for retailers.

Brokers are to collect and upload the data to stock exchanges before 9 am on the next trading day:

The brokers shall be mandated to collect the details on scrip-wise short-sell positions, collate the data, and upload it to the stock exchanges before the commencement of trading on the following trading day.

Exchanges to upload the data every week:

The stock exchanges shall consolidate such information and upload the data of short-selling data of institutional and retail investors on their websites for the information of the public on a weekly basis.

You can check @mohitmehra’s detailed explanation of each clause here:

11 Likes

Can you answer two questions ?
According to the SEBI new short sell rule Institutional investors have to disclose before taking any short sell position.
Currently I’m a retail investor, but in future if I will be an institutional investor after creating a company then I will have to abide by that short selling rule also.

1. So I want to see how looks the format of disclosure.

2. Where I have to send that disclosure ? I mean I have to send that disclosure to any mail id or I have to send that disclosure to Zerodha’s a support ticket.

3. If any stock is not permissible to short for intraday, then before successfully shorting the Kite platform will reject the order and show me the reason ? Or Kite will not show any error and the stock will successfully short, but when I will try to cover the short then I can’t be able to cover that short position ?

4. If a stock is not in my portfolio and also not in F&O, but I want to short that only for intraday. Can I do that ?

5. If I’m holding any stock in my portfolio and also not available in F&O, but I want to short that only for intraday. Can I do that ?

6. If any stock in my portfolio and also available to trade in F&O, but I want to short that only for intraday. Can I do that ?

7. If a stock is not in my portfolio and also available in F&O market, but I want to short that only for intraday. Can I do that ?

8. How do I know which day which stock is not permissible to short for intraday ?

9. As a retail investor I also have to disclose my short sell position, But what I have to write on that disclosure ? How looks that format ?

10. The new SEBI short sell rule is saying that anyone can not create naked short. So if I did find any chart is looking bearish, can I take only intraday short position on that stock ? Without creating any intraday buy position ?

SEBI’s New Short Sell Rule

When is scheme for slb coming.

This is already available,

I mean the scheme mentioned by sebi. It’s like some kind of promotion and increase of ease of SLB.

How big an impact is this on trading volumes?

Nothing has changed on this front. The restrictions on institutional short selling have been around since 2007. This circular was brought out to correct the master circular issued 6 months ago which did not have all the clauses listed.

1 Like