Sell Today and Buy tomorrow

If I have 100 shares of one script in my demat, Can I do sell today and buy tomorrow without effecting the shares in my demat account ? If yes, Till when can I do this . Is it till T+1 evening or T+2 evening ?

Yes if you already have shares in the demat, you can sell today and buy back by T+1 evening without effecting your shares in the demat.

Update: When you sell stocks from Demat on T day, stocks get debited from your demat account against the sale transaction. Buying stocks on T+1 will not be offset against the sale made on the previous day. Stocks purchased on T+1 will be credited to Demat on settlement date.

3 Likes

In fact, you are selling the shares in your demat account.

You can sell today and if you want at anytime 2moro or day after or any other day you can buy as you want.

Since you are buying tomorrow (T+1 day) and the shares will be received to your demat account on (T+3 day), I don’t know whether you can meet the delivery which will be expected on T+2 day.

So in my opinion, the shares from your demat account will be debited on T+1 evening or T+2 morning, and the new shares which will come to your account on T+3 day.

In this case, your DP charges of Rs. 13 is applied for debiting and crediting as well.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

I tried it today.but still the DP charges are applied.

I sold my shares yesterday and tried buying them back today.

But in the evening I got message saying that stock in my DP is deducted . :frowning: :frowning:

As far as I know, I dont think you can sell today and buy t’row.

Thanks, I dint know STBT was possible :slight_smile:

Thanks for answering. Will this be considered as intraday trade (except for STT which we have pay as delivery if kept overnight) ?

It will still be considered as delivery trade for calculating STT or brokerage. The only thing you save on would be paying the DP charges which is charged when stocks are debited from your demat

I think Nithin sir already mentioned “you can sell today and buy back by T+1 evening without effecting your shares in the demat.’”, so there will no DP charges as it is not effecting the demat account

@trade100
Yeah I saw that. My question is how will the delivery be satisfied. Will the broker take it from the pool or something?

@nithin
That’s quite interesting.
If the shares in the demat are not effected at all, then what date will be considered as the buy date.?
Is it the original buy date or the new date (which is the very next date to the sell date).
That will help in calculating LTCG or STCG.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Since original stock isn’t affected, the buy price/date continues for holdings. This new trade will have to be shown as speculative transaction.

@nithin
Thanks very much for your response.

I tried an STBT where I sold ‘n’ quantity of ‘X’ stock which I was holding in my Demat on 11th-Jul-2017 and bought the same ‘n’ quantity the very next day (i.e. 12th-Jul-2017).

But unfortunately, for the sale which I made on 11th Jul - the stock got debited from my demat account on 12th Jul evening itself.
And also I can see DP charges applied in my ledger.

And ‘n’ quantity of ‘X’ stock which I purchased on 12th Jul 2017 got credited in my demat on 14th-Jul-2017 (T+2) day.

I can see separate debit and credit transaction for that particular scrip in my CDSL Demat account.

Is there something wrong which I did??

Kindly suggest.

1 Like

@nithin @Karthik
I am eagerly waiting for response. :slight_smile:

1 Like