Selling & buying same shares same day

This is one big confusion I have. ( I only use CNC for all my transactions, just letting u know)

I bought Hathway shares @25.11, one month back.
And today I sold the shares @26.45.
And it’s reflected in my Zerodha positions.
In the same day, The price of Hathway came down to 25.85 and I placed a buy order.

But once after buying, I was thinking it’s going to reflect in my positions since I sold my holding earlier.
But it appeared in my holdings.

I’m so confused.
I only purchased the shares with my 75% sale proceeds, the 25% locked which gets released on the next trading day.
Can someone solve my query? Thank you

If you buy back the holdings that you sold earlier in same day, then it will appear again in holdings. Also 25% blocked margin cannot be used for any trade, otherwise penalty will be imposed (zerodha shows this warning message when closing holdings intraday position)

Yea I never said I use my 25% holdings.
I cannot use my remaining 25% anyways right?

My question is with the remaining 75% can I buy back the same shares that I sold on the same day?

And what if I want to open up a new position on the same day? Is that possible?
I have no idea whether I made a profit or a loss now lol :frowning:

1 Like

When you sell shares from your holdings, same will appear in positions, now if you buy back the shares again, same will reflect in holdings.

When you sell shares from holdings, 80% sale proceeds are credited immediately, while 20% are blocked for the day.

You can use the proceeds received to buy back the same shares.

You can use the 80% proceeds received to buy other stocks as well.

Can anyone answer this question? Or @Nandha_Visakan did you make profit that day?

I am in same boat right now.

I have no idea lol.

“When you sell shares from your holdings, same will appear in positions, now if you buy back the shares again, same will reflect in holdings.” @ShubhS9

So why is this? Why does a stock when sold off and then bought on same day appear back into the holdings? Why doesn’t it register as a new trade and open a new position?
And besides I always get a ‘Nudge’ warning when I want to place a Buy order on the stock I sold in the morning. (Holdings)

When you sell shares from holdings and buy again the same day, it is considered as intraday trade. So the shares will reflect in your holdings again.