Should we give a few mins for market to settle during its opening in futures alone or even in equity? Basically, i want to know if it is fine to punch my stop at exact 9:15 in equity?

I always prefer to wait rather than punch an order at open.

1 Like

It’s always better to wait for the market to get settled/stabilized. Don’t be in a hurry to BUY/SELL immediately at market opening. It’s good to place orders after sometime. Futures as well as equity anything, wait for some time. Now if you are damn sure about your PRICE/TARGET then you can go ahead and punch otherwise wait. BE SLOW AND STEADY, DON’T HURRY

1 Like

If the stop loss to be put is too tight, give sometime for the market to settle down so that stop loss wud not get triggered prematurely. otherwise, it is ur wish. I believe that a stop loss is a stop loss, whether it is market open or mid-session or closing session.

1 Like

If you are very sure, that tomorrow, the price of shares you hold is going to drop down (may be some bad news or result day etc), use post market orders to sell off shares from your demat account at market closing price. (3:40 to 4:00 pm)

If you are not very sure, wait for few minutes after the market opens (say until 9:25 am), and decide whether you want to put a stop loss or at what price.

If you would like to safeguard your CNC shares, from abrupt fall or market crash (since you are NOT available in front of monitor/screen for the whole day), then go ahead and place a stop loss as AMO but set atleast 4% less than market closing price of previous day. Otherwise an intial spike downwards could attack your stop loss easily, even though after the spike the price may gradually regain.

1 Like

or even better, is it fine to use AMO for stops in equity segment?

Why r u looking forward to punch the stop at 9:15? Is it becos u r expecting gapup or gapdown at the opening?

sdg, for personal reasons, sometimes i can’t be in front of the screen at 9:15, so i was thinking if i can punch AMO(for stop order) for the positions i am carrying forward. AMO is usually sent to exchange at the open, so i was wondering if it is a good idea to punch at 9:15 itself instead of waiting for the market to stabilise.

Karthik, do u wait in both futures and equity or only in futures? thanks