Signature mismatch & physical shares

My dad has a brokerage account with Motilal Oswal which charges 0.6% for buy/sell orders.
He held few shares since long one such is reliance but due to signature mismatch it is not reflecting in demat account hence even JIO financials not reflecting. Motilal has promised to get this resolved (in progress) so he’s sticking to them and once he gets those rectified he will sell and close all accounts to avoid tension in his 65+

Yesterday I showed him Kite and Coin and explained the advantages and he’s impressed with it.
He had an intention of closing the brokerage account itself because of charges and slow trades (every order he places - we will get a call in 4-5 mins asking for confirmation).
After my explanation, he is now thinking to move to Zerodha after demat issue is resolved.

Can Zerodha help in this case? If yes I can ask my dad to move to Zerodha.

Also, my parents have some physical share certificates of companies like Tata Timken, Woolworth etc not knowing what to with it. Kindly help.

Hey, of course yes. If the shares are dematerialized and hit the demat account, you can initiate a closure-cum-transfer whereby you close your account with your current broker and move all your holdings to your newly opened Zerodha account. This way, you will not incur any transfer cost either.

If the securities are listed & are trading, you can de-materialize them

2 Likes

What if it’s listed in a different name after company split?
What if it’s not listed currently?

You’ve to follow a bunch of processes, co-ordinate with the RTA of the company, obtain physical share certificates in the name of the new entity and then go about demating them.

If the ISIN is still active in the depository directory, they can still be dematerialized. You will not be able to transact on the stock exchange though.

2 Likes