Sovereign Gold bonds Tax and the secondary market

Hello there,

I have a few questions regarding SGBs. I will list them below along with scenarios to get a better understanding.

Can I buy SGBs from the exchange or the Secondary market and hold Them for 8 years or more?

The current month is April 2021 and missed the windows to buy the SGBs from the RBI issue. I can hold it for 8 years or more. But when I go to Zerodha the farthest date I see is SGBMAR29, which is one month short of 8 years.

So can I buy SGBs from the exchange or the Secondary market and hold Them for 8 years or more?

Tax on SGBs after 5 years.

Let’s say I buy SGBs from the exchange and I can hold it for 5 years. I understand that the 2.5% interest will be taxed, but if I sell after 5 years will I be taxed for LTCG?

If I wait and buy from RBI in the next series and then hold for 5 years, will that be taxed for LTCG?

Thanks

The maturity period is calculated from date of issuance, not from the date you purchase in secondary market.

You can buy SGB from secondary market and hold until maturity.

@Quicko recently published this post on Taxation on SGB, you can check this out: Taxation on Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGBs) in India

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

I have a follow-up question.

Let’s say that I buy SGB from the secondary market and hold it till maturity. So let’s say that I buy a bond that matures in two years will that be taxed for me.
The bond has matured but I only held it for two years.

Or I have to hold the bond for 8 years for it tobe tax-free?

Thanks

As long as redeem the SGB with RBI, there is no capital gains tax…

1 Like

I will recommend for next RBI tranche of SGB since the ones available in secondary markets are expensive…

2 Likes