T- bills are allotted at discount price

IN zerodha t- bills applying minimum shows 10000rs for apply how i will get discount price and interest

ex . I place a order 100 units For ‘‘T-Bills’’ .Indicative yield 3.79% , i was placing the order its shows minimum 100 units … if 100 units are allotted for me worth of 10,000 after , adter 91 days completed i will get 3.79% direct to my bank account ,

@Tarunkumar 3.79% per annum so for 90 days it is around 0.94 % so roughly 94-95 rupees you will get credited.

1 Like

i dint get you can you elaborate sir

3.79% bill maturity

indicative yield of 3.79% is per annum . it is not absolute return . so if you invest 10000 rs you will get 94 rupees after 91 days .

its not beneficial for retail people like you and me , it is meant for big shots who want to park their money for 3 months safely with minimal but guaranteed returns.

I mean if you are PRO in your fund utilisation pls go ahead and take T bills.

1 Like

thanks bro indicative yield should be calculated for per annum. if 182 yield also calculate for per annum

@Tarunkumar In T-bills there is no concept of paying interest. Instead T-bills are issued at discounted price and redemption is made at Face value.

Refer 23March auction result for reference:

So if you buy 100 units, you will pay Rs. 99,061.7 (100 * cut-off price) upfront and at end of 91 days you will get Rs. 10,000 back (100 * FV). This way your yield will work out to 3.79% per annum.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

but in zerodha is allowing full amount …

if i palce a order 100 units amount of 10000 should be blocked

but they give a discount price … then i don’t get the allotment

I don’t fully understand your question, but from what I understand:

yes, when you apply full amount of Rs. 10,000 will be blocked as discounted price is not known in beginning.
Once auction is concluded by RBI, actual issue price will be known.
So money will be deducted based on discounted price, and remaining amount will be unblocked.

On a side note, if you are only trying to put a small amount in T-bill, there is actually no real advantage in investing in T-bill.
Rather go with a liquid fund, you will get similar returns with very less hassle.

1 Like

There are many liquid funds that invest all or a major part of their fund in t-bills. You can invest in them in order to gain exposure to t-bills.

1 Like

thanks sir

thankyou sir