Tax audit for F&O

Is tax audit mandatory if there is a loss under F&O and turnover is < 2 crores ? Also if its not can someone site the necessary IT provisions. Also which ITR needs to be filed 9ITR 3 or ITR 4)?

In my understanding Profit below 6% tax turn over rules all turn over amounts.(1/2/5 crores etc)
So in your case loss Tax audit is a must I think.
You have to file ITR-3 with F&O trading as a business with balance sheet , & P&L statements .
Tax Gurus will give a more defenitive answers soon. @quicko

If profit is below 6% of turnover then audit is necessary. However, the only exception is when your total income is below the basic exemption limit of 2.5 lakh , in which case audit is not necessary. Let’s see if Quicko replies.

Hi @Nitin_Bhasin

When Trading Turnover is up to INR 2 Cr

• Tax Audit as per Sec 44AB(e) is applicable if there is loss or profit is less than 6% of Trading Turnover and total income exceeds the basic exemption limit.
  • You need to file ITR-3 if you want to declare the losses and carry forward them for next years.
2 Likes

thanks. i just want to declare loss as there is enough income from other sources to set off…no need to carry forward. can quicko help with tax audit ?

@Nitin_Bhasin

Thank you…can you refer to ca who can file the audit report ? It’s all online and reports downloaded from zerodha so quite simple.

Further I have been trading with my own capital but from the trading account of my mother. I have a contractual arrangement (undertaking) under which all losses and profits on trading would be passed on to me by my mother. So as far as the loss is concerned on F&O who takes that in the IT return me or my mom…?

@Quicko as per my reading threshold Limit for Tax Audit has been increased to Rs. 5 crore…pls check & confirm Threshold Limit for Tax Audit increased to Rs. 5 crore [Applicable from Assessment Year 2021-22]

Hi @CoolBird

The limit for tax audit u/s 44AB(a) was initially increased from INR 1 Cr to INR 5 Cr in Budget 2020. Further, this limit is increased from INR 5 Cr to 10 Cr for taxpayers who carry out 95% of their transactions in the digital mode as announced in the budget 2021 by the FM.

1 Like

Is this limit irrespective of profit or loss ? Or if someone has a loss then audit mandatory, I have not opted for presumptive scheme in the past

thanks for clarifying @Quicko so i assume F&O is considered as digital mode

Hi @CoolBird

Yes, F&O is generally considered as a digital mode.

Hi @Nitin_Bhasin

The limit u/s 44AB (a) when turnover crosses 10 crores is irrespective of the profit or loss.

This is contradictory to the earlier response from Quicko " Tax Audit as per Sec 44AB(e) is applicable if there is loss or profit is less than 6% of Trading Turnover and total income exceeds the basic exemption limit."

Hi @Nitin_Bhasin

Both the sections are different and have different criteria for their applicability. For further clarification, you can refer to the below article which mentions both sections in detail.