Tax implication on Bonus Shares

@Quicko
How is the tax calculated on Bonus shares? For eg GMM Pfaudler has given a bonus of 2:1, 2 shares for every one existing share,

Now if the original share is sold, then the purchase price and sale price is calculated and tax is calculated, but in the case of a Bonus what will be the date of acquisition and purchase price to calculate the tax liability?

1 Like

Not Quicko, and not a tax expert. Here is how I understand it:

• The date of acquisition is the record date.
  • The purchase price for the bonus shares is zero.
1 Like

Fully agree with Zeroindian, recently I sold indian Energy Exchange. The company had issued bonus shares, when the shares are sold on a FIFO method, the profit and loss statement of mine showed the bonus shares cost as zero as against the sale price of 163. Hence the entire amount in my Profit and Loss is showing as profit.

2 Likes

Then the share price of non bonus share will be higher in case if we sell them just after receiving bonus share?

1 Like

The original share before bonus would have fetched the loss in your case, is it so?

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this

1 Like

Hello @nikhil27,

In the case of Bonus shares date of acquisition shall be considered as the record date and the purchase cost shall be zero, so at the time of selling of such shares, total sales consideration is treated as capital gains.

1 Like