The dividend from Infosys attracts 5% TDS if it crosses 5K per financial year but does it consider the U.S market as well?

The dividend from Infosys attracts 5% TDS if it crosses 5K per financial year but does it consider the U.S market as well?

I mean Infy listed in the U.S stock market also pays dividends. If a person owns Infy in both India and the U.S market then what will happen?

For the shares buyback “retail investors” category, does it also considers shares owned on the U.S market?

The dividend paid on the U.S stock market attracts dividend tax but I’m not sure it also applies to the Infy shares which is an Indian company (only American companies attract dividend tax, I guess). What is the scenario if the tax paid to the U.S government is considered?

3 Likes

Not only Infosys has to make 5% TDS payment but all Domestic companies has to make it if the amount crosses 5K in the financial year as per Section 194

But this is to be done only to the payments made to Resident Individuals and not to any other people.
In India Income Tax has to be paid on Net Profit hence the amount available to pay as Dividend is arrived after paying tax.
But the Intent of Govt to Introduce TDS on Dividend is to make sure that the shareholders pay the due taxes on their income hence no TDS if company is paying dividend to non residents.

I don’t know whether same amount of dividend is paid to Infosys share holders who subscribed through US markets as the class of share is likely to be different than once issued in India and hence the conditions of Dividend etc can be different at the discretion of the company. If they are the same then TDS won’t be deducted from the shares you received from US listed Infosys share but it may attract any taxes of US(I don’t if any of such kind exists, kindly do your research)

1 Like

Typical case - 25% TDS on dividends on US stocks will be withheld.
as per the DTAA between US and India, assuming you file the W8BEN form with your US broker.
(IIRC, higher 30% TDS withholding on dividends if you do not file W8BEN)

Subsequently, depending on your actual income-tax bracket/slab you end-up in at the end of the year,

• you can pay the rest of the tax (if in higher income-tax bracket/slab)
  • or claim some of it back (if in lower income-tax bracket/slab)
    …upon filing your ITR (Schedules OS and FSI) + Form67.