The rise of Influencer culture

Humans are pretty petty influential beings. This is a generation that does not know reality without the Internet, for whom the world made up of technology and geographical constraints do not exist; therefore, it is also referred to as “the first generation of true digital natives". Moreover, with the emergence of a generation that follows social media creators over celebrities, the pandemic has led to a rise of an influencer culture in India as well as globally.

We all have come across the term, “Influencer Marketing”. Influencers are internet users with a lot of subscribers across different social networks, who have a remarkable influence on their followers and they also have niche expertise such as beauty, finance, fashion, entertainment, lifestyle, traveling, or food. Correspondingly, influencer marketing has become the fastest-growing trend in terms of communication with customers, and the number of its campaigns and posts has grown exponentially over the past few years.

As per the research of Global WebIndex, 57.6% of the world’s population uses social media. The average daily usage is 2 hours and 27 minutes (October 2021). The Indian influencer marketing industry was estimated to have reached a value of Rs 900 crore in 2021, according to GroupM INCA’s India Influencer Marketing Report. The market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 25% till 2025 to reach a size of Rs 2,200 crore. One of the major reasons for attraction to this new form of marketing has been the high ROI companies enjoy, earning approximately 5.5x on their marketing expenditure.

Additionally, most of our younger “investors” don’t know a lot about shares, financial markets, or economics. To make up for that, these young investors look around for sources of information. Hence, they keep an eye on social media platforms and the relevant influencers. With more people starting to follow these finance influencers, their reach is increasing, which helps attract even more new followers. In this way, it also helps the younger investors to start with their investments.

Social media significantly influenced finance. Whether or not echo chambers or influencers are fueling changes in financial markets, it seems that social media can affect market activity.
The rise of the influencer culture has several impacts in a business, such as :

• Allows Businesses to Become Omni-Present
  • Increases Personalization
  • Generates More Loyalty
  • Increases Industry Collaboration
  • Adds Credibility
  • Increases Referrals
  • Helps to build a Personal Brand
  • Helps to gauge Audience Feedback

At the same time, it is also to be noted that despite the relative freshness of activities in the influencer marketing area, several emerging challenges can be observed, along with threats related to this form of online promotion. Undoubtedly the most important of them is the influencer fraud phenomenon, related to the fact that some of the accounts or profiles following influencers do not belong to real people, but are only false accounts (fake followers), being the result of bots activities. As a result of the occurrence of fraudulent ‘influencers’, a significant part of the funds spent on activities in influencer marketing is wasted.

This burgeoning economy of social media and influencers is continuing to evolve and become increasingly important, worldwide. The right question to ask is when and how they should be integrated into overall marketing plans. Influencers in this online world are an important part of business conversations. Understanding cultural nuances and the social networking matrix of what works and doesn’t work both on- and off-line in different countries is key.

Could it be that the fast-moving landscape of social media influence is shifting from conventional celebrities to every day, passionate, tenacious individuals from around the globe who have made a name for themselves in social media? Only time will tell.

References:
https://digest.myhq.in/know-about-influencers-in-india/
https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/12/17/7138/htm

Please feel free to share your perspective towards the discussion or about your favorite financial influencer.

8 Likes

the faster you get out of it, the better it is.
I don’t really find influencers valuable,

but i sometime watch him

3 Likes

Very Valid Points @Priyanka_Adhikary

When it comes to Finance and esp. markets, I feel most of these influencers (as we would call it our trading circles) as corona batch wale log.

With all due respect, They haven’t seen the market cycles or bear markets to know markets in depth. Seasoned players are like - bacche abhi abhi aaye hai, mazey karne doh :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Please do note that i’m making a generalized observation and there are ofcourse some great ones as well.

All this said and done, they are doing great job in bringing more ppl to market and Godspeed to them. We need more folks in the market :slight_smile:

1 Like

Influencers are there from a very long time it could be your own mom, dad, chacha or some uncle. This has been there for quite a while. Only take an example of the baby boomers and Gen y. If neighbour is marrying their son or daughter, they will force their son or daughter to marry. If neighbour son got accident in two wheeler they won’t allow their son drive two wheeler. Herd mentality and greater fool theory have been there long time only difference is it’s amplified by instagram.
As far as stock market majority don’t know there is always some entity that keeps manipulating prices all the time. Truth is everyday it’s institutional traders vs retail traders. It’s way worse with forex most of USD/INR pairs are moved by the banking mafia or the interbank.

Overall for influencers are great for motivation purposes but works completely opposite way with our psychology. We enter the market with crazy expectations and tend to overreach.

2 Likes

Which ever field we take there are people out to cheat and make money out of some one’s ignorance, greed or fear - online or offline. I think if one gives fair amount of time the genuine guys can be figured out.

When it comes to market, there will always be Twitter traders, YouTube traders and then Real Traders. Real traders have proof of work !!!

3 Likes

Most of the YouTube channels I follow started their channel in 2020. I also got influenced to buy their courses. Not saying they are cheating us, but most of them just record basic stuff already there for free on the internet. Add in a strategy. Nothing unique. Trend following or triangle patterns or cpr etc. Virtually every strategy worked well after corona crash. Tweaking already present free indicators on tradingview and saying they developed them. Charging 20k-30k. Easiest buck they ever made. It’s mind boggling how my newbie mind got influenced by their marketing and profit screenshots. That’s some influencing.

There are some genuine people as well, but majority are trying to sell courses to make a secondary source of income. Helps them with their psychology during trading.

3 Likes

Kudos Man @samurai for being honest about your experience.

2 Likes

In the world of stocks and finance, anyone getting influenced by an influencer probably means that he/she would not deep dive into the concepts and skills most of the time and rely on someone else (atleast majority of the young).

Taking influencers as a source to learn finance and investments can be one of the biggest risks a person may take. Tutorials/courses may seem boring but I’ll prefer those over influencers teaching finance. No hate to anyone, the knowledge sharing does happen, but the application of it seems to be not long going.

In an overall sense, they make the markets seem accessible to the young investors which increases participation. Helps people understand the market at an early age and somewhere increases financial literacy.

Amazing post @Priyanka_Adhikary

1 Like

This is something I absolutely agree with.

The recent increase in the number of finance gurus, and also the number of YouTubers choosing to create finance content, is the outcome of the pandemic. If you recall, most of the things were offline, with little to sell or discuss. They began creating content about trading and investment. You can now find a yoga instructor providing a swipe up on a financial product or a travel vlogger who makes videos on trading, IPOs, and so on.

In one instance, it’s a pretty good rise to see more people talking about finance, but there are fewer ethical people that truly care about their followings. The thing I dislike the most is when your favorite finance guru starts pushing something that isn’t good for everyone, like how many of these folks claimed that trading cryptocurrency is easy and good. Also, few brokers are spending a lot of money on marketing, getting YouTubers on board, and throwing a lot of money to drive clients to their platform.

I guess one reason why people like finance content is because Money is a universal language. Everyone wants to make money or is interested in making money through different means.

Also, I think, when investing or trading, everyone wants a financial buddy to discuss the day’s events, the crash, or to seek knowledge. Take, for example, this platform, I’m here for all of these.

I used to enjoy the videos, but now they’re mostly packed with money hungry gurus putting out content solely for promotion. Those that use and sell them are true influencers.

Apt!
Most of the famous creators claim to make easy money in crypto and other assets with a minimum of X amount with having little or no knowledge about it themselves in the first place. I have always believed, if it was so easy to make money, people would be making it instead of selling and marketing the ways to make some.

One thing that I have personally observed is, there is no fancy marketing for long-term assets, personal finance, and managing money per se. It’s only about earning in minutes, which can turn out to be a bummer.

1 Like

Influencer is always around us in either this or that form. An influencer can change your life completely. If you come in touch with a holy man you may be changed into a devotee. If you are influenced by a villain type person you may be in a different avtar. Some influencer can transform you, many other may cheat you and remaining will not harm you but they will be benefitted by companies due to their fans followings.

1 Like

I believe that one can follow the influencers to the extent where they simplify concepts and have something to add value, on a knowledge level. Anything ahead of this such as getting influenced by them and follow what they do is a leg in fire.

Social media did create many young folks a participant in the financial world and start investing which is a good thing. But as we see, these videos, contents, etc are all about the buzz words such as IPO, bull market, crypto, etc with no real motive except to promote an XYZ brand/asset and earn.

I agree.

1 Like

Check this out :point_down:

1 Like

If Alan Greenspan could deny anything was wrong with the housing market, then I think any persons opinion is valid.