Tradingqna book club: MONEY WISE: Timeless Lessons on Building Wealth By Deepak Shenoy

Could someone share the photo of chapters of the book.

2 Likes

Yayyy :nerd_face: My book has finally arrived. After reading the insights on this post I am more excited to start my readings :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’m no expert in the stock market industry, but just started with this book and I must say that i’ve found it easy to understand, written in casual language (this comes from me who only reads fiction! :sweat_smile:

What intrigued me the most is the chapter on Mutual Funds. I recently started investing in mutual funds, and I wish I could’ve come across index funds earlier - low fund management fees, less cumbersome than choosing a new fund each year. No wonder the “adviser” I invested through didn’t pitch index funds to me. With low expense ratios, there’s no room for commissions for them and I get to save some change too!

Also, the secret sauce for a good portfolio:

• A Nifty Index Fund

• An international index fund

The more diversified a portfolio, the better.

Also, this line in the chapter 😅. Take my money too? I seem to do really stupid things with it – it’s like @deepakshenoy read my mind.

2 Likes

Hi,

I seriously don’t know why Index funds always carry this phrase “Low cost” along with it. It’s like saying I always hire low cost employees in my company (Does your company do that? Do they hire costly / good engineers from IIT’s , costly / good managers from IIM’S? Or do they hire low cost employees from God knows what institute?)

Before following some bloke who talked about Index funds (I refuse to use the phrase “low cost”) in some media (social or print) and their associated cost, did you bother to dig a bit and do some research on whether active funds are really that bad?

Every bloke and their aunty is shouting from rooftops that the advisor (MFD) is a villain. Did you bother ask your advisor why you should or should not opt for Index funds? Just because they earn money on your investments doesn’t mean they are villains.

Did you atleast make an investment plan for yourself (assuming you have written down some goals for yourself to be achieved in stipulated time). Did you introspect yourself to find out if you want index beating returns or you want some minimum % returns on your investments? I’m the second type of investor.

My philosophy is “To hell with the index. I want minimum 13% XIRR on my investments (I can live with 12% XIRR. 11.99% is definitely not acceptable. The inflation + GDP mostly hovers around 13%, hence this XIRR is my target) in the next 7 to 10 years. This should come with as little volatility as possible (Volatility can never be 0)”. Most of the times this kind of philosophy tends to beat the index too.

Did you check rolling returns (This talks about consistency of returns) of Index funds?. Some of the best Index funds have given >12% annual returns around 85% to 90% times only. Is that enough for you? I want nothing less than 97% - 98%. Compare it to some of the active funds that have given 100% of the times >12% XIRR and 95% of the times > 15% XIRR.

Index funds is for the person who has achieved most of their goals in life and wants only inflation beating returns with peaceful life (No headache of yearly or bi yearly reviews). Do you fit that description? I don’t.

Index funds is for the person who has the tendency of second guessing every move they make. Rechecking it, who tries to squeeze in 1 % or 2% extra returns, who wants the best performing fund every year (This is impossible to achieve) and anything less than that is unacceptable. Is that you? If yes, please opt for Index funds. I’m not that person.

I do research on my active funds. I’m not looking for the BEST fund. I want the fund with very high consistency of generating minimum 13% returns over a period of 7 years (upto 10 years) and atleast >1 (higher the better) Market capture ratio (This is another metric used to evaluate active funds).

I will review my goals and my funds performance every 6 months based on rolling returns and Market Capture Ratio. I will not look at my XIRR every week / every month and compare it to previous week / month. I will only check if all my parameters are in place once in 6 months and forget them for the next 6 months. I have more important work to do. Play with my kids, flirt with my wife, excel in my chosen field of work and get my employer to increase my pay package. This is more fun and more fulfilling than following some bloke who doesn’t know, half the times, what he is talking about (They also don’t follow their own suggestions and are probably prejudiced with past experiences).

My review process -

Check rolling return, Market capture ratio, and my XIRR once on 6 months. My XIRR is given less weightage as I have not yet completed the minimum 7 years that I want to complete. Once it is completed XIRR gets higher weightage. Till then rolling returns and Market Capture Ratio. Does this active fund get me as excited as it got me when I bought it after checking the rolling returns and Market Capture Ratio (No care what the market is doing) ?. If yes, I’m at a good place. Come back after 6 months.

An MFD helps the investor in this quest as they have experience handling the emotions during market ups and downs. Ofcourse the payment for them keeps increasing slowly and steadily (along with my corpus). The amount I might end up paying them is a big amount over the life time. I think they deserve it simply because they help me loosen up my bandwidth to follow other pursuits (mentioned above) that give me much more happiness and satisfaction than saving some money. Also the pay hike I get because of my pursuits (Because of the freed bandwidth) compensates much more in monetary terms too.

I prefer MFD because they have skin in the game. In the past I don’t know what was the scenario, but today they make money only if the investor makes money. PERIOD

I don’t prefer the DIY investor for reasons mentioned above. Fee only planners are very important and have their own niche market. They just don’t suit me because I’m the growth seeking investor (MFD has a vested interest to see my corpus go up. They make more money when the corpus goes up). Fee only planners are more suited to the stability seeking investor (The index funds type).

Also I prefer the advisor who makes money only when investor make money.

Open for debate. I love a good one.

1 Like

I seriously don’t know why Index funds always carry this phrase “Low cost” along with it.

i have always read low-cost as affordable and without unnecessary overheads.
(NOT the same as cheap)

It’s like saying I always hire low cost employees in my company

Ummm… no.
Isn’t this more like saying - Does a company pay its employees a few millions just for fun,
or does the company try to pay its employees close to the minimum necessary to function and avoid unnecessary overheads.

(Does your company do that? Do they hire costly / good engineers from IIT’s , costly / good managers from IIM’S? Or do they hire low cost employees from God knows what institute?)

Let us not go there. :slight_smile:
i know my fair share of unproductive folks who graduated from supposedly reputed colleges,
and gems who were self-taught / graduated from totally unheard of institutes.

My philosophy is “To hell with the index. I want minimum 13% XIRR on my investments (I can live with 12% XIRR. 11.99% in the next 7 to 10 years. This should come with as little volatility as possible (Volatility can never be 0)”

…and if an index-fund were to meet such requirements that one has,
one should happily invest in it. Correct?

1 Like

The fund NAV have already discounted the expense ratio. So long as the RR (Rolling Returns) and MCP (Market Capture Ratio) are awesome, I will not call them unaffordable (Even if the expense ratio is sky high). Index funds, sometimes, might be unaffordable just because > 10% of the times (only in few funds it is 10%, in other funds it is much more than 10%. Some times it goes upto 40% also) the returns are < 13%. So low cost is low cost / cheap. I wouldn’t substitute it with affordable.

Again so long as my RR and MCP are in place, I don’t think I’m paying expenses just for fun. Also So long as my performance in my work is at par or beating expectations of my employer, the expense of my employer (good pay hike, awesome bonus, etc) is justified. Doesn’t your employer think so?

I agree with you. There are few rotten unproductive folks even in the best of institutes. Even then doesn’t the employer prefer the same institute students over other candidates??? Ever wonder why?

I’m still waiting to see an index fund which was born more than 10 years ago and has given atleast 95% to 97% of the times >13% annual returns over 7 year period. MCR is always < 1 with index fund (Wonder why is it so???)

I have few favourite funds. We can always debate over Index funds vs any of these. I’m not married to these funds. I’m 70% confident that these funds will not change with time but I’m 30% flexible to change my views if the RR or MCP becomes sub optimal to me. The yearly / bi yearly review is to check if I’m still in the 70% area of confidence or venturing towards 30%.

Open to debate.

My layman thought process is as follows…
(please do poke holes or highlight any aspects i may have overlooked)

Assumptions

1. In the market, higher returns always involve higher risk.
  2. Index-fund/ETF do NOT involve a cut to active fund-managers/teams.
  3. A Mutual-fund (MF) involves active fund-managers/teams to research/monitor.
  4. To pay-out a return X, a MF will need to earn more than X (to pay for the necessary active staff)

Combining 1 and 4,
compared to the risk one would assume to directly obtain a return of X.
to obtain the same return of X through a MF
one ends-up assuming a slightly larger risk.

Is investing through a MF actually higher risk though?

Additional Factors that can affect the above assumptions :

a. A MF can often possess additional information to help in better decision-making.
What an individual may not know or cannot find out, a MF with multiple full-time dedicated folks can find out in
time to take a better informed decision.
(the same decision is a higher risk for an individual, due to more unknowns.)

b. How often is the scenario described in a above true in the market,
Is it common enough that the MF has an actual advantage over an individual to make better decisions?

c. How does one evaluate/measure how much risk a MF is assuming,
to provide us certain amount of returns.

For example, If a MF is…

• taking 2x the amount of risk compared to the benchmark index
  • to scrape 1.5x returns
  • to keep 0.2x as their fees
  • and pay-out 1.3x returns compared to the benchmark

In the above example, Is the additional 0.3x returns a MF provides above the benchmark, worth the 2x risk?

Q1. How does one go about finding the actual risk/reward numbers like these for a MF? :thinking:

Q2. To make slightly more than an index fund, how can an indiviual assume slightly more risk?
Could a portfolio that matches the index-fund, but is more frequently re-balanced
be an approach to assume marginally higher risk for equally marginally greater returns
compared to the benchmark index fund?

Purely my thoughts -
What is human life if not risk mitigation. Right from the time we wake up and brush our teeth, to navigating traffic, crossing the road, climbing up stairs, playing active sports, to sleeping - we are mitigating risk. Controlling risk everywhere.

Why is it that we, most humans, lose our minds when it comes to monetary risk. I’m a professional trader (Around 80% of my monthly expenses is funded by day trading Nifty Options.). My entire job is mitigating risk. I take calculated risk everyday to get higher returns than the risk taken (I think this summarizes the JD of a trader), sometimes I get it, sometimes I don’t.

Overall since the return is higher than the risk, my account curve keeps going up. The most important thing is to control risk (even if it higher), make sure it doesn’t go beyond the tipping point (Point of no return)

I have absolutely no problem with assuming more risk (so long as the tipping point is very very far), if the returns are more than the risk taken. In other words Risk reward ratio should be more than 1 (In trading I use minimum 2.5)

I don’t know if active fund teams have more info than the layman. Probably they might, simply because this is their job. We have our own devils to fight, so we will never be able to give even our 50% to this. The active fund teams may or may not give their 100% but they definitely will give more than what we, as individuals, can give.

I really do not care about the expense ratio, because the returns shown are after deducting the expenses. If an active fund is assuming 2X risk, it has to show more than 2X returns to justify the risk taken. 2X returns after deducting the expenses (I don’t care how much it is).

I look at it in this way. What I can’t do (either due to lack of skills or lack of bandwidth or interest) should be outsourced. This is why we have jobs. Just because one entity can’t do all the things it hires people to do it for them. Just because many individuals do not have the time and bandwidth (skill can be acquired. Ofcourse you have to consider the opportunity cost) required to evaluate the market and the companies to invest, they should hire a team to do it for them. This team is very costly to hire, so these individuals come together, pool in their money, and hire a team. This is the active Mutual Fund. There are so many funds available that is gets difficult to evaluate them, here comes the advisor.

There are many ways. I use Market Capture Ratio for this. 0.3% returns is definitely not worth 1% risk. But an additional return of 1.3% compared to additional risk of 1% is definitely worth it (My personal belief) since the tipping point is still far away.

Here we are assuming that active funds always take higher risk. This may not be the right assumption. There are funds that have taken lower risk and got higher returns. There are many ways to check this. I use RR and MCR. Only issue is whether these funds will continue to generate this kind of returns. This is where the bi yearly / yearly reviews come in.

I’ve not studied small cases, hence cannot comment on it. Here again, I assume that you need to give time and energy. I can think of atleast 147 better avenues to give my time and energy (few of them are mentioned in previous message)

1 Like

I’m a professional trader
(Around 80% of my monthly expenses is funded by day trading Nifty Options.).
My entire job is mitigating risk.

Congratulations! :clap:
I believe this is a significant achievement considering the sheer number of sad stories we hear about folks losing everything due to the unmitigated risky positions they assume. My takeaway from this is that so far you have managed to properly estimate/measure risk. :+1:

If an active fund is assuming 2X risk, it has to show more than 2X returns to justify the risk taken.

Ideally, yes.
But, as an investor into a mutual fund, how does one verify that the fund manager isn’t taking significantly higher risk with our money to achieve the slightly higher returns exceeding the benchmark?

There are funds that have taken lower risk and got higher returns.
There are many ways to check this. I use RR and MCR.

This conversation has motivated me to dig deeper and read more about techniques to estimate/measure risk.
But, so far, i still do not understand how RR/MCR can be used to measure risk vs. reward… :thinking:
(maybe i’m misunderstanding something)

You don’t owe me any explanation, but if you do find the time, i would love to see some examples/links of when a certain fund got higher returns for lower risk; and how RR/MCR/other-factors can be used to estimate/measure the risk vs. reward. Any personal anecdotes are welcome too…

Thanks a lot. It took around 10 years of trading experience to understand that trading should be very simple. I have my share of horror stories and account wipe outs too.

MCR - The formula is Up ratio / down ratio.This is calculated every single day Average of every single day in last n years (You define n) is MCR.

Up Ratio - Fund returns / Benchmark returns. This is calculated only on days when benchmark is up (Green). Average of all days in the last n years is Up Ratio. I consider this as reward.

Down Ratio - Fund returns / Benchmark returns. This is calculated only on days when benchmark is down (Red). Average of all days in the last n years is Down Ratio. I consider this as risk.

If MCR is equal to 1. It means the fund has captured exactly the same % of up move and down move. Better google it for better understanding.

Rolling return tells me consistency of the returns. Something like XYZ fund has given >12% returns for any period of 7 years, 99% of the times calculated on a daily basis. That is if I invest some fixed amount in XYZ fund, every day, since it was born in different folio’s (but same fund) and redeem it exactly after 7 years (Gain or Loss). I would have > 12% CAGR in 99% of the folio’s.

Google it for better understanding. It is difficult for me to explain the whole process here. I usually explain it over phone and google meet screen sharing to my clients. If interested, please tell me.

2 Likes

I haven’t read it but is any different than Psychology of Money by Morgan Housel

Psychology of money is way way better than this book. The author Deepak has just published his book and Zerodha is doing his book promotion because the author’s company Capitalmind is a big client of Zerodha. They use Zerodha for its PMS trades. So just a quid pro quo I guess.

1 Like

One of the important point stressed upon is how people complicate mutual fund investing process. Feel quite related to it.

Investing in mutual fund doesn’t have to be complex. Yes, we should do our due diligence and then only invest but here too people tend to run after funds that have given big returns in long run and keep churning their MF portfolio, dumping the losers and again running behind the winners only for them to underperform once again. So we just go on treating this like stocks picking best performers, dumping losers, and repeating it on and on.

Remember: past performance is not guarantee of future returns. Also, MFs are meant for long term investment, we should give time for these to perform, not start managing them activity like stocks and keep switching. And before we realise what we are doing its too late. Not only suffering losses but also the fees we pay to AMC for premature exits. Been there, done that and feel quite stupid a about it :sweat_smile:

As Deepk points out “Look deeper and you find that most mutual funds struggle to beat the Nifty. And no matter when you look, the Nifty index always seems to be consistently among the top performers.”

One of the most annoying things about MF investing is all the different plans. In terms of Regular v Direct, Direct is clear winner and it’s easy to distinguish between the two. But for first timer, all the siblings (Growth, Dividend Payout, Divided Distribution, Dividend Reinvestment etc.) make it look like picking and investing in MF is some rocket science.

IMO, MFs are effective way to invest but made quite complex by all the needles siblings of same fund. Only if all these are eliminated.

2 Likes

Psychology of money is way better than many other books, that doesn’t mean you don’t read other books. Deepak is very honest and candid in sharing his wisdom with respect to Indian Stock Market. There is a lot to learn from people like Deepak Shenoy through his book, his tweets and his blogs. He is very witty with great sense of humour, avoids euphemism and calls a spade. a spade.

1 Like

For this reason which I realised many years ago my investment in mutual fund is motivated solely by section 80C for tax saving.

1 Like

I beg to differ. There has been a long interaction in the previous messages on the pros and cons of active funds. Please check it.

I can debate on this forever

Just finished reading the 3rd Chapter and in my opinion, this is like the heart of the book :slight_smile:

Walking the talk : A practical Approach to Investing

Here’s the summary :

• When it comes to investing and personal finance journey …Nothing can be generalised

• Absolute Importance on Emergency Funds : pehle Emergency Funds, baaki sab baadme

• Life Insurance : 40 years of expenses and accounting for Inflation. How much will my dependants need to live the rest of their lives If I die today ?

• Long term Goals - Kid’s Education , Marriage need to planned and considered

• Overall Strategy : If no idea what to do, 50% in risk bucket (equity) and 50% in low risk bucket (Fixed Income)

• Formula for Own Retirement : Annual Expenses Currently * Years remaining to retirement * 3

• Tactical Approach towards Investing decision making : If we have Time - Inclination - Ability/Skill , Go for Active Route by Regularly Assessing performance . If not, going for Passive Route would be well recommended.

• Detail explanation on Gold as Investment. - Investing in other productive assets which help in economic growth is recommended

• Which age to start ? - A detailed discussion on the age factor

• Various Resources for buying Mutual Funds , Stock fundamentals , Personal Finance

1 Like

medicore, tbh there was nothing new in it.

it’s just stories packed with basic market wisdom

you got it wrong mate

I wish for people are like you in this forum! others simply bootlick