What can be done with stocks in portfolio with un realised loss

Hello,

Please suggest me the better category to put this post.

What can be done with stocks from portfolio which running under un realised losses like between -5% to -90% especially when they are from mid cap.

Is it better to sell them and put that money into good stocks?

Or

Just forget about them, they will take their own time to recover?

Or

Anything else? Need suggestions.

Thanks

aah bro… there is no straight answer to your question about what to do with this stocks… no one knows what will happen next, maybe the stocks will bounce back, maybe they might keep falling more… as i said there is no straight answer… best that you can do is do research on fundamentals of stocks you have invested in and get rid of bad ones.

1 Like

After eroding 90% for eg mentally write off ur stock full investment but keep it in portfolio

If by miracle u get purchase price then exit

I guess there is no straight forward answer to the question. It mainly depends on the company you are talking about. If you believe in the company it is always advisable to just keep the stock in the portfolio. However if you feel that there are less chances of revival of the company you could always sell them and exit. However if you go by my suggestion, always use stop loss while trading, thus if prices go against you, you could always exist beforehand and re enter position only when you feel like again.

How are realized profits different from unrealized or so-called “paper” profits?

P&L realised from closing a trade is called as Realised P&L, this amount gets added to / debited from you account balance. P&L you see for stocks you are holding is known as Unrealised P&L, unrealised because you haven’t closed the trade yet and this keeps fluctuating according to your buy price and current market price this unrealised P&L doesn’t get added to / debited from your account balance.

Average it or keep adding to make it up for the loss if you still think it has got something left in it. Otherwise as Italians say “forget about it”.

I think better to forget about it, thanks all for your inputs.

Simple answer is option 1. i.e, “better to sell them and put that money into good stocks” like HDFC Ltd, Infosys, Reliance…

1 Like