What is the average duration for which you hold an intraday position?

Guys, another question that requires your inputs and discussions.

Have you noticed for how long you hold your intraday positions and is there any pattern as to when you enter and exit your positions?

@iSTFF @portfolioplus911 @saiography @harshendrasingh @SureshG @Spaceship @vijender88 @akshatc24 @SurajM @Rajiv1 @Swapnil_Chaure @Sandeep7 @Dhruv_JC @btr @vvn2023 @gopchem @billions @TraderVenk @Vigneshwaran_Vick @Lets_Invest @vicky_kothari @VelmuruganSengottai @pravesh @zy9599 @mexpress @Neeluru_Anji @sid @raheel265 @Tah_Original @umabathy @Lakshmikanth_Jadhav @Siddharth_Dharod @ktm @samarth_bajaj @mac76 @roopansh @Vishnu_Venugopal @Pawan_Singh @Venkateshwaran_Murug @TraderVenk @goldb @hm.evots @Debanjan_ghosh @PrashDn @Naarayanan @Sarvadaman_banerjee @mparmar @hydtrader @goku @raaki and other traders…

1 Like

@Tintin My least intraday holding time was 10secs and highest is around 6.5hrs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most of my intraday trades were between 5 to 15 minutes.

1 Like

Well it all depends upon case to case. Few times in past, I have come out in profits within a matter of seconds. Yes during very high volatility. But I don’t trade that way. You may also lose away big in a matter of seconds.

On an average, my time period of holding positions remains short , lasting from 15- 30 minutes usually & at times upto 2- 3 hours at max.

Markets are tricky, and patience is rewarding.

I enter on breakouts but many times there are false breakouts too. I usually enter on strong patterns formation but don’t trust technicals. By patterns formation I don’t mean any of those patterns which are in technical analysis like Harami pattern, :smile: bullish engulfing, bearish engulfing, blah blah.

I weight the charts on the basis of overall strength.

In the past, Many times I have missed the bus , only to realize after couple of minutes that I missed big profits. And at times, I would jump onto the bus so in a hurry only to realize what a blunder I did! :smile:

But as I said, it has been a thing of past. Presently, these blunders have been reduced to minimum.

In my opinion, experience is all which counts the most when it comes to trading.

5 Likes

on and average 30 minutes
try to find out momentum…
and enter into the tarde

3 Likes

10 - 3, no such pattern

1 Like

It Depends on Market Trend and Trade to Trade.

1. My average Time is Not more than 1 Hour for Single Trade, Then I move to next trade.

2. If Trend is Strong (Uptrend/Downtrend) I hold that position for 4-5 Hours.

3. For Gap-Up or Gap-Down Opening I have done Trades for Just 1-2 Minutes many Times.

3 Likes

Atleast 30 minutes and max can go to 4/5 hrs.

2 Likes

All mine intraday position are from 9:30 to 3:00 at most.(if stoploss or target not hit)

but i spend 1 hr at pc screen.

3 Likes

mostly a full day till target reaches.

1 Like

@Tintin I hold positions anywhere between 2 days to a week. But I have noticed one thing, if the trade has not moved in my
direction in first couple of days, it is always better exiting the trade than holding on to it and hoping.

2 Likes

As soon as it hits the target or stoploss or it’s the end of the day

1 Like

Depends on the target. If you are taking more risk then it might take a bit long time.

@raheel265

BRO YOU SHOULD DO OPPOSITE,
WHEN IN RISK YOU SHOULD CUT THE ORDER EARLIER,
OUR CAPITAL IS IN OUR HAND

Exactly @vijender88! But, when your position is in loss still you have 2 more hours. Then which is the best choice? To stay or to square off?

@raheel265

brother seriously, i even while back-testing, i have got to know 9/10 times my SL hits loss increases,

moreover i don’t play on risks, i play only when i am confident minimum 8/10 ratio

1 Like

Usually i do intraday in bank nifty.

Initiatie at 9.25/9.30 and cover it by 10am.
If i do directionless trade, i hold it till 3.15 as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, most often this happens. :frowning:

Depends on the situation. Lately I’ve developed a bad habit of booking profits early. I’ve been working on it. Usually my intraday position holding period range from 1 min to 4 hours.