What was your aha moment

What was the moment that change your trading in the good direction?

1 Like

when I really learned to exploit VIX

3 Likes

August 2019
Decided to try MIS trading. Before that I also did intraday sometimes but the product was still CNC. I used to pay 100% amount by myself.
Result at the end of the month was a loss of few hundred rupees. But it stiuck my mind that eben if I improvise and make money this way, I’ll soon end up spending all of that at hospital and medicines because of the stress it gives if the trade starts to move opposite. CNC is stress free and I can hold for as long as needed.
So back to CNC and never dared to look beyond that again.

2 Likes

you can virtually not lose money…but how do you deal with opportunity cost?

we are here for money right?

1 Like

When I blew up my account.

2 Likes

But I’m making money this way. My average annual return are 18-20%

Regarding opportunity cost, my bad experiences prevent me from exitting a stock.
When I started in 2015, after beginner’s luck of 5-6 months, my trades started going opposite. I bought stock A, sl hit, sold, bought stock B, sl hit, sold and the cycle continues for 2-3 months. When I analysed everything after that it turned out had I waited, I would have made money in all of those scrips. My selection was right and I lost only because of those sls. So I stopped putting sl and started holding.
So whenever a trade goes opposite and I feel urge to exit I think that what’s the guarentee that the next trade will work in my favour and that stops me.
I know everyone will call it foolish but I’m a rare species.:grin:

3 Likes

Made consistent profits for a week straight, and then lost it all in 15 minutes.
This introduced me to risk management and trade psychology, never looked back since then.

3 Likes

there is no exact one aha moments, but I can give you a collections of aha’s throughout this journey.

–ability to connect with the lower TF, 2min 1 min
–tinkering the risk reward, say 1:2, but -0.5:2
–taking power size positions without changing the risk, else how will you take 3R
–commissions come around -0.16R per trade, always keep that in mind.
–there will not always be a trade everyday, but sit and watch. that’s how you ll learn to negate things.
–exel everything

4 Likes

When I found this back in 2007

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://oxfordstrat.com/coasdfASD32/uploads/2016/01/turtle-rules.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiMm6v5zpj6AhWUUGwGHSTqBUIQFnoECBIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1rhPVJlTgiwJ1cUOSaxWMi

2 Likes

You are averaging 15% monthly, if i am not wrong.

But why data for 3 months. New strategy ?

1 Like

Which gives a better picture of trading, a sheet like this or XIRR calculation?

I think I have heard about, checking it now.

quarterly calculations.

1 Like

can google but don’t know at this point of time.

i like simple calculations and need to know a few parameters by glance. like win rate, expectancy and net profit. This is real track of my data, commissions calculated at 0.16R per trade.

2 Likes

By this rate, you can just increase to 1 cr then exponential.

But we have to know what return we are getting on our trades. So there has to be a clear way of doing this.

how many times I thought about this? Lamborghini, superbikes , luxury , multi wives… Just kidding.

I am going at my own pace. Trading gives you lots of deep scars that by the time you arrive at something, you chose to be realistic, always.

But we literally never arrive, do we?

I have no stop losses at all. So far doing fine for last 6 years.

but having mental SL…?

1. Understanding that “Short Options” is a game of maximizing occurrences. Increase occurrences and the probabilities will work in your favor.

2. When I learnt that Long Options is a game of picking your moments and maximizing R:R.

3. Keeping holding period small, not averaging losing trades, and delta drifting are essential for ‘long options’ success. Theta decay is no match for a good Delta.

4. Shorting the market is tougher in general market regimes, better to have higher signal standards when doing that.

5. Option buying also has an inherent edge when done right.

6. Sticking to a good well backtested plan is important for mental strength and confidence.

7. A realization that 0.01% chance of ruin is not worth it. Hedge extra large positions. Do not take trades looking solely at “margin” - instead take trades based on what you can afford to lose.

7 Likes