Who are the largest brokerage firms in India?

Will the customer be considered active if they have simply purchased mutual funds through the broker?

1 Like

good question. Please advise @Prayag

No, should do one equity trade( etf/fno anything on exchange) in last one year to be called an active client.

1 Like

Dhan is not stable yet, has many bugs too.

1 Like

https://www.business-standard.com/companies/news/jio-financial-blackrock-jv-to-launch-wealth-management-broking-business-124041500966_1.html

It seems a new future competitor coming soonā€¦

2 Likes

The current strategy of Zerodha maintaining a large platform with limited resources is unsustainable in the long run. To truly achieve growth, Zerodha need to prioritize innovation, intuitive UI and provide adequate support. Weā€™re seeing evidence of this with Zerodha losing ground to Groww.

Hereā€™s why Groww is resonating with Indian investors:**

• Focus on Mutual Funds: Indians favor mutual funds over individual stock picking.
  • Customer Journey: Groww prioritizes mutual funds first, helping customers build confidence before introducing them to trading. This is a stark contrast to traditional brokers who prioritize trading.

By adapting a similar approach and investing in more resources to drive innovation and support, Zerodha can capture a larger share of the Indian investment market.

2 Likes

@BalajiCanabady Seems you are happy with Groww. Why donā€™t you stick with them?

Is AngelOne growing faster than Zerodha? Perhaps Zerodha should consider advertising as well. They will be doing the world a favor, by saving people from joining an unethical & inferior broker.

2 Likes

Kindly elaborate more as on what grounds AngelOne is an unethical broker.

2 Likes

I will list a few issues that I have encountered in the past few weeks:

• They called me and encouraged me to trade options. When I expressed my disinterest, they offered to teach me options trading.
  • The app requested permissions for SMS and contacts for reasons that seemed suspicious.
  • My friend started receiving spam calls about trading the day he registered with AngelOne. It could be a coincidence, but I have my doubts.
  • There were frequent technical glitches, and they failed to acknowledge any problems.
  • Encouraging their users regularly to use MTF (Margin Trading Facility). In other words, take loan to trade. Dangerous.

These are the reasons that came to my mind; there might be a few more points I have forgotten.

From my perspective, I would consider Angeloneā€™s practices to be unethical. This viewpoint may stem from the high standards Iā€™ve come to expect from brokerage firms, particularly after my experience with Zerodha.

5 Likes

Yes they are very unethical. I have read the spam calls immediately after registering for Angel One somewhere else too.

This is also there. They literally ask you to share all SMSes + access your credit report

1 Like

Same here. Even I have never given permissions. I deny everytime they ask. Still I have started receiving spam calls and SMS. I dont know who leaked the database.

Zerodha zindabad.Even MTF policies are bit confusing. Not easy to handle.

1 Like

Thank you for letting us know these things. I was thinking of opening an account with Angel One but now I donā€™t think I would. In ethics, Zerodha for sure is far ahead of the competition.

1 Like

Just to add a little more here. They generate MTF request every day and then send us mails and msgs to accept it.
I have same pan registered in both zerodha and angelone and I have to be so careful when I accept pledge request which I requested from zerodha. If I click on select all, I would even get MTF facility.

Could you explain this? Did they generate this without you asking for it?

Every single day they do it. Every day.

2 Likes

Maybe try filing a complaint on sebi scores. If you have the time

2 Likes

Initially,

Could you provide the definition of ā€œunethicalā€?

In your opinion, which broker do you consider the most ethical in India?

Groww/ Zerodha/ Angleone/ Dhani or anyone else?

Personal Opinion : Angleone :slight_smile: Too much Spam and indirect force to move towards MTF

While I appreciate Groww app for its simplicity, it is disheartening to see our favourite broker Zerodha fall behind competitors due to obvious reasons.

Back in the days when the Coin app was introduced, many feature requests were turned down simply because their coin team is too small to handle them. Even now, one could see they are struggling to implement features like STP despite the promises made long long ago. There is no point bragging about a small team size if itā€™s unable to scale up and maintain agility and innovation. Rather than leading the way, Zerodha appears to be playing catch-up.

There is huge potential (and even responsibility of Zerodha) to bring many investors to Indian stock market. The best way is via passive investing. It is great to see that they finally realised it and introduced Zerodha Fund house in late 2023. (Their first LargeMidcap 250 Index fundā€™s success is a testament to that and clearly shows the demand).

Building on this momentum, perhaps they could create a simple app like ā€œZerodha Liteā€ for new investors with minimal/no account opening & AMC charges that offers basic features and intuitive UI. Imagine if Zerodha Lite would act as a one-stop shop, consolidating information from Kite, Coin, Console, etc., providing a clear view of a userā€™s portfolio instead of switching multiple applications.

Zerodha could learn from ā€œgrowwingā€ competitors strengths and offer even better features and user experiences.

@nithin @Bhuvan @ShubhS9 @Neelesh @nithin_kumrr

3 Likes