Why can't derivative market run 24 hours a day?

Forex trading is 24 * 7.

yes it is, but unfortunately its illegal to trade currency pairs that doesn’t have INR in India. Only currency that is available in NSE is tradable. That too till 5 PM only. So, there is nothing that runs 24*7 (for us to trade).

Forex trading is 24x5. The market is closed on the weekends. The crypto market is the true 24x7 market.

US derivative markets are not open 24 hours a day, though such a proposal before the SEC is pending

As a broker having markets open for 24 x 7 is good for the business in terms of revenue for sure. :slight_smile: But I personally think it is detrimental to a traders mental health in the long run. If it isn’t good for the trader, it isn’t good for the brokerage firm in the long run as well. Trading is stressful and not having markets open all the time gives traders important break from the markets.

10 Likes

Agree, and I hope 24x7 trading is never allowed. Thanks for supporting this.

Yes, 24 hrs is too much. I agree.
Later we changed the discussion to increase in trading hrs like 5 PM or 9 PM (derivatives only).
Whats your view on that ?

Seriously buddy!!! Awesome answer.

You gave words to my thoughts. I guess that’s one of the reasons you are where you are and we are where we are :slight_smile:

Are you kidding??

You didn’t say it is a hobby, but trading part time is nothing less than a hobby. If you’ve ever traded full time, you would know.

Once again, you prove that you are a newbie in trading. Do you really think a trader can sleep peacefully with the market on? Sleep is important for mental health, which is very difficult with 24 hours market. So 24 hours market is detrimental to the traders health. You have various 24 hours market, For example crypto, please show your creativity there and let the serious equity traders sleep peacefully.

There is nothing wrong in taking the good / meaningful things from other countries. Problem is what many are proposing (24 hours market) is neither good nor meaningful in the long run. Hence it is insane and thus the idea should be REJECTED and placed right beside the idea of keeping your office open 24 hours with you working there all the time.

1 Like

actually you are proving yourself as a newbie, by telling the below

A newbie will only be addicted to always worry about the stock market. A disciplined trader will never do that. He/she know what/how/when to do. Everyone has a life outside this.
This is just a silly excuse.
(i’m not offending anyone, just sharing my views, be cool! :slight_smile: and share your views,I’m not against anything).

A disciplined trader knows what to and when to do it because he / she knows the market and its timings. With 24 hours everything goes haywire. Whether you like it or not, you have to watch the market regularly. You can keep price alarms to do the job of watching, but if it rings when you are in deep sleep, you have to wake up.

The newbies have no idea what kind of a devil market is, so they talk as if it is there with the sole purpose of giving them profits. Thus they feel that by limiting the timings they are cheated out of their profits. I suggest take a sabbatical from your work and trade full time for few months. If you still say the same, then we can discuss.

Till then let sanity prevail.

1 Like

Where are we getting at - taking potshots at each other when someone just asked an opinion, this is one forum where people just give their opinion and move on, this is what makes this forum interesting.

Compare what the boss Mr.Nithin said to the same point raised by the user, professional reply.

Putting others down kind of makes them feel a little better about themselves. Most of them don’t even know or understand what is being talked about.

1 Like

@neha1101 Why did you mention this ? Whats wrong in telling that it’s a silly excuse ?
Kindly read the whole conversation once again.

I guess I’ll agree with you. It was the fear of NSE doing something insane like making the derivatives market 24X7 that got into me.

The big man, Nithin Kamath, has answered the query in an absolutely beautiful manner (I mentioned the same there too). Probably this is one of the reasons he is where he is and we are where we are.

There is a lesson to be learnt here.

One common thing that I’ve noticed in this forum is that,
initially there will be proper answers/replies followed by arguments and I guess that is required for any discussions :rofl: (im not pointing anyone btw)