NSE chief bats for Longer trading hours

Need shorter pls!

2 Likes

Think on the bright side. If markets were 24/7 , atleast the market gaps will occur less. If some global news event happened during saturday atleast we can exit our positions. weekend volatility will be negligible. I mean imagine taking a position on friday , some news event happened on sunday night in US and monday market price opened way beyond stoploss. Things like this can be avoided.

5 Likes

I dont have life outside, so I came to market :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

Just check US and other markets, gaps will still be there! There are multiple reason of gaps ,market makers, institutions clear there books ,news is not only the reason!

4 Likes

There is life both outside of water and in the water, so life can be found in the market too :grin:

:frog: enjoys both such lives.

This topic’s been discussed many times before…

As for this

Take today’s FinNifty expiry for example. 6 hours was stressful enough, why would one want to trade longer or 24/7 (unless one’s looking for their fix)

4 Likes

Keeping aside the stress and the psychology. I guess it helps for people who want to practice more in live market, maybe liquidity will spread through out the session. So I guess there will be people who would vote yes for this, if it happens.

I don’t know if the exchanges are equipped with systems which can support longer hours.

1 Like

@nithin sir what is the view of entire brokers industry on this as extended hours was implemented in 2018 but the plan was shelved later on

1 Like

I really hope this doesn’t happen.

2 Likes

Why?

1 Like

only thing I don’t understand is what is need for closing the market in first place. Sure currency markets and commodities markets even including crypto markets are 24/7. But the volume only comes during day time. Why cant NSE be like that?

1 Like

Yes. Commodity market is open from 9 AM to 12 AM. Still gaps occur at 9 AM next day.

2 Likes

It will add a new element to trading that I will not be able to backtest. Plus I may not be able to entirely switch off after 3:30, that’s not convenient.

PS: I am an aggressive derivatives trader (and a moderately conservative investor.)

3 Likes

The bright side of Gaps is that we can make a killing when it goes in our direction. Even it goes against an option buyer like me, I stand to loose only the premium I payed… :laughing:

Yes provided it doesn’t get obsessive and intrusive on one’s and fellow beings existence. Detachment ironically tends to bring more money than intense obsessive attachment to stock market tickers.

1 Like

So your situation is personal, and not applicable to all, and there may exist some who can benefit from the extended hours.

:+1:

1 Like

Doesn’t experience bring calmness and emotional control, be it in trading too like any other profession?

Or the greed is so powerful that people are unable to let go a trade :roll_eyes:

Machines cooling off period physically and for all other software related checks :grin:

1 Like

now that is the most underrated thing you have said!

2 Likes

Not necessary. Calmness and emotional control is a big function of your trade position size and belief in a well tested and rounded trading system. If a trade or a series of trades goes against you for a certain pre determined position size but it doesn’t rattle you and you can keep executing your system that is when you have control.

1 Like