Why did the exchanges publish a clarification on no additional intraday leverage?

@siva asking again can we get leverage in f/o till 1st April?

Likely yes.

2 Likes

why you are so much interested in removing leverage. Because Zerodha can’t provide high leverage like ICICI direct . So zerodha is trying to remove this facility

1 Like

We don’t have any additional interest in removing these, it is suggested by sebi and every broker has to follow it, even we will take a hit with our revenues if this get implemented.

Zerodha makes money not only from Brokerage but also from client’s money lying in their accounts. This vast pool of investor/trader money will increase if new policy comes into effect. Zerodha will directly benefit from this due to interest earned because traders will now transfer more money.

No other broker has reduced their leverage except Zerodha which was very quick to do this in a rush.
Rules are same for everyone and zerodha could have waited till 1st april but they didn’t.

1 Like

This has got nothing to do with what Zerodha or @nithin want.
They surpassed ICICIDirect with same leverage they offered from start.
They are somewhat more risk averse and more kind of lackey to SEBI.
But still I dont think they lobbied for the margin increase.
We can sleep more relaxed knowing that our broker is very honest and rule following entity.

And I really hoped that there should have been a “trade union” of brokers and traders.
And would love if Mr. @nithin sit on indefinite hunger strike unless SEBI reverts all the regulations.
I am ready to do “Lakshanik Uposhana” from breakfast to dinner along with him to show solidarity.
I dont know who is CEO of ICICIDirect. If you know convey him the idea.

8 Likes

i doubt zerodha makes any money from clients unused funds …
many discount brokers reduced leverage like fyers , upstox reduced their leverage from 7x to 3x kind now …

obviously zerodha will benefit if they remove intraday fno leverage but it will affect their revenue as well , it will be the end of the road for many small leveraged brokers like wisdom , alice , astha etc

2 Likes

Astha still provding at 2500 perlot for writing options
ICICI Direct takes only the amount decided by stop loss plus approx INR 700 for writing options intraday. For example, If stoploss is 100 points in banknifty options then margin required in ICICI direct is approximately (100 X 20) + 700 = INR 2700/-

@nithin is this true.
Also in one of interviews you mentioned that broker earns good amount as float income.Is it earned from clients funds.

Idle balances lying in a trading account earns some interest income for a brokerage firm. In India, due to quarterly settlement rules, brokerage firms are required to send back any unused balance back to the client’s bank account. Earlier to this rule float income used to contribute considerable part to total income but after this quarterly settlement this won’t form major part, also this indirectly effects brokerage income as money lying in trading account can more likely result in trade. This is common across the globe, US retail brokerage houses earn most of their revenues via interest income unlike in India.

1 Like

Nitin still hs his finger crossed for the decision, is there anything SEBI is thinking to do for intraday leverage ?

1 Like

Lmao😂 hunger strike? No

Lets all create a petition online and sign it,
Let sebi know how many are against leverage,
Hunger strike is not a way! Lol

There is a power in petition let me show you:

Rockstar games (GTA 5) best-selling video game was first release in 2013 only on PS3, XBOX consoles not in PC,
There were many who had PC not console who wants them to play in PC,
So (rockstar games) company told they will not make it to PC, the game is release on consoles only,
Then many PC gamers created a petition (online) to release (GTA 5) video game for PC,
Around the world all PC gamers sign the petition online,
The petition was so famous it reached (rockstar games company), the company decided to release the video game to PC
Then the game made it to PC :slight_smile:

The power of petition!

What i have written above is an example of what a petition can do it online!

No idea what SEBI is thinking.

1 Like

Is sebi planing to reduce intraday equity leverage or remove completely ? Someone clarify

For futures the (intraday leverage) will stop,
As already the futures are leverage products

For Equity the leverage is reduced will get max 8x from before 12x

3 Likes

Someone please start a petition for retail traders (like me) who want intraday leverage in option writing. Margin requirement for selling F&O CO/BO intraday orders should not be high (its a risk defined order). Zerodha (@siva ) , its a request, if you are not vouching for leveraged trades then please dont oppose it vehemently in public. We retail traders are not foolish - we understand the risk & reward - and we rely on these intraday leveraged trades everyday.

4 Likes

Ye Modi Gormint hai!
Ek baar decision liya toh kisi ki nai sunta!
They will lose election but wont change

Now you do this

Or you do this

Kuch nai hone wala!!

go here and sign it

2 Likes

Thanks

Thanks
I have signed it