Why do buk deals have same quantity BUY and SELL?

I’ve come across similar questions by other traders but I havn’t found any convincing answer. If you go to: https://www.nseindia.com/report-detail/display-bulk-and-block-deals

As you can see, in the above big trading firms like “GRAVITON RESEARCH” and other market participants always have the same number of buy and sell quantity at the same price.

If you look at the return, its pennies even for a retail trader. Therefore, I’m not buying the argument that they made both BUY and SELL transactions to make profit or other market making activities.

Can any person with real reason (not speculative answer) or insider tell why NSE or firms like GRAVITON RESEARCH show such reporting rather than a single directional buy/sell?

Thanks!

1 Like

Where do you see the same price? For all the bulk transactions the prices are different. Also for one buy/sell bulk transaction there has to be one or multiple transactions of the same quantity.

If a certain bulk transaction is taking place at a certain price how can you label it as a directional buy/sell? Because for any buy/sell there has to be a counter sell/buy order of the same quantum. So if one large order is taking out the ask it’s buy or selling at the nearest bid it’s sell.

However if these same transactions are done over large no of trades and multiple no of trades they would not be labeled as bulk order.

Now from personal experience, here’s one of my bulk orders (its a penny stock)

Here only my orders are shown as bulk order because they were large chunks of order of 1L quantity each and the orders I took out are not shown as bulk orders because they would be from different quantities from different persons. Also the bulk order shown in the snapshot is not the actual order it is less than the actual quantity I traded on that day.

How can NSE or other firms do that if there are multiple bulk orders at multiple prices? Actual delivery quantity may be different than the bulk quantities traded at multiple price points. Also many trades don’t end on the bulk quantity page so you cannot say what the actual delivery quantity is as smaller trades at other price points are not captured.

What about the graviton research, buying at 13.49 and selling at 13.52. Just 78k profit, without charges and STT.

I’m not sure I get your point.

As far as I understand, it doesnt matter if the order was chunked. As long a total quantity more 0.5% of market cap is traded, it needs to reported to exchange at EOD. For reference. click here

That’s fine. But I’m asking about regarding the reporting of quant firms like “Graviton” which doesnt make sense to me, as I pointed out in the original question!

What about it?

and Just 78K? Does it seem small to you?

The way I trade or the way I used to trade the charges constituted around 35-40% of total profit. Even .01 paisa profit matter on large trades.

From what I got in the article …

1. The trade executed must result in delivery and shall not be squared off or reversed.

If you are asking from profit point of view then in most stocks (mostly out of nifty 50 or lesser known stocks) the bulk trades would just be a show to drive the volumes up. It would be a ruse to raise participation or help some one with large quantities get in or get out. There could be a lot of things at play and not just a few paisa loss or profit.

STT on trades is 0.1% on both sides. The economics don’t add up after deducting STT.

Yeah, I’m sorry. Upon digging further, it seems that the news article I referenced is incorrect. If you see go to source of truth, that is when SEBI mandated the disclosure rules for bulk deals, they mention nothing about delivery, just the total quantity. For reference:

SEBI Circular - Bulk deal reporting mandate
NSE Circular - Bulk deal reporting implemented
BSE Circular - Bulk deal reporting implemented

Interestingly, no disclosure updates have been made to bulk deal reporting since then. This can be verified by the fact that there have been no new circulars realeased since then uptil now that amend the bulk deal definition or reporting in anyway.

In all the above, there is no mention of delivery. ANY trade greater than 0.5% of Market Cap of the company shall be reported. Hence, this proves the new article is incorrect.

Now coming to your second statement, the “lot of things at play” is what I’m wondering why big firms are doing this @tallerballer in his replies has highlighted this as well.