Why is Coin based on demat?

MFUtility doesn’t show XIRR / CAGR. It displays your asset holdings by percentage (equity / debt / cash); and it doesn’t show invested cost either.

I use Valueresearch for this; but since MFUtility has these issues, have since moved to <-- Text Cannot Be Displayed —>. <-- Text Cannot Be Displayed —> displays absolute returns for investments less than a year; and XIRR for investments longer than a year.

For that you can use MyCAMS app and CAMS website.
CAMS and Karvy cover almost all the MFs, hence you can transact from any of the website or app by :

1. MFU 2.CAMS 3.Karvy
    No hassles here. Just download the apps or go to website and register yourself there as well - they will automatically fetch the holdings. folios etc.

Thanks mate!

Again on the MF…does VR give all these parameters like returns/XIRR?
I am somewhat familiar with VR. Never tried Kuvera. Is it a safe platform?

Thanks buddy. Will explore kuvera.

Consider a case when some person is doing SIP of RS. 1000 per month in two different ELSS fund for three years. Now if one has to rematerialize those units as he can’t sell ELSS schemes before 3 years, he has to pay:

Remat charges: (2x12x3x150)+100 = 10,900 ???

1 Like

Why would you want to rematerialize the units before 3 years ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

love your this comment

Just wanted to understand if with the new NAV applicability rules, is the credit of units faster when done with a demat account or with the SOA kind of account?

1 Like

Investing through AMC website would ensure same-day NAV if you buy (make payment successfully) latest by 3 pm.

Investing by Coin (in demat mode) or other 3rd party websites (non-demat mode), mostly all process orders through BSE Star MF platform which has cut-off 2:30 pm (30 minutes before actual cut-off 3 pm) for same-day NAV.

But Coin has another restriction above it, which is it has a blanket cut-off 1:30 pm. So if you place an order at 1:31 pm, your order will be processed only the next day.

So the AMC websites have an advantage here.

Now, you may wonder why different cut-offs for different platforms. I have already lodged a complaint against the brokers and NSE, BSE etc and the case is under review. Let’s hope SEBI straighten it out because when it expects us to pay before 3 pm for same day NAV realization, then it should also ensure that we are able to pay latest by 3 pm, uniform cut-off timing, regardless of the platform instead of each having their own cut-off timing.

Transmission of mutual fund units to a heir is simpler with Demat. A nominee is a heir when it comes to demat account, and not simply a caretaker.

Demat will be slower. For instance, If you hold liquid funds with AMCs, purchasing and selling is facilitated on the same day. With demat, there are also restrictions like no SWP, STP.

How does the credit of funds picture into this? So for example, if my payment is successful on zerodha, at 1:29 PM, will I get the NAV of the same day? Does zerodha credit the funds on the same day to the AMC?

Yes. On Coin If you place an order at 1:29 pm and you have enough funds to carry out the buy order, you would receive same day NAV. What internally Coin does is, it aggregates all orders placed latest by 1:30 pm and sends them to process latest by 2:30 pm through the BSE Star MF platform to get same day NAV.

The only difference is the cut-off time by which you can place an order. On coin it is 1:30 pm, on some other platforms it is 2:30 pm and on AMC website it is 3 pm. This irregularity is what I mentioned in my complaint to SEBI.

1 Like