Why is the Derivative not moving proportionate to underlying

I’m tracking Nifty 50 and its derivate Nifty 21800 CE 15-Feb-24 on 14-Feb-24.
I’m noticing that the derivative is not moving in direct proportion to Underlying. I read that there are more factors than just the movement in underlying.

In the attached screenshot

• the price of derivative is around 18.5 when the underlying is at around 21575 at 9:45
  • and the price of derivate is again around 18.5 when the underlying price is around 21597 at 10:30

So my main confusion is, why is the price of derivative the same when the price of underlying has increased.

FYI:

• I’m looking at this charts on 14-Feb-24 which is 1 day before the expiry of derivative

Options have multiple components to it other than delta
You can read more in zerodha varsity

1 Like

Sab Moh Maya Hai Zen GIF - Sab Moh Maya Hai Zen Zen Mode ...

The price of Nifty 21800 CE not moving in direct proportion to the Nifty 50 index can be attributed mainly to time decay and Implied Volatility (IV):

• Time Decay: As the option approaches its expiry (15-Feb-24), its value can decrease even if the Nifty 50 goes up, due to the reduced time for the option to end in the money.
  • Implied Volatility (IV): Changes in market expectations of volatility can affect the option’s price. A decrease in IV can offset gains from an increase in the underlying index.
3 Likes

Sad reality of option trading. Beda gark hoga option trading me