Women being financially empowered

"A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word “accomplished”; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions.” —“Pride and Prejudice.” Growing up in a patriarchal society, we can certainly relate to this quote. For years we, as women have been trying to prove ourselves in our personal and professional lives that we are better than men. It is not only a woman’s duty to take of the household, true. Likewise, it is also not only the man’s duty to take the burden of the financial pressure.
It is bizarre to know that at present, the women’s workforce participation rate in our country is at only 20.3% – 18.2% in Urban India. In a country where young women’s education is now at par with men’s, ignoring that half of the population isn’t participating equally in the economy means we will be missing out on innovation, entrepreneurship, and productivity gains. Involving women in the economy is not a social cause — it is a source of efficiency gains and economic growth.
We all have come across meetings and events where people, nowadays, often speak about woman empowerment and feminism. Well, being empowered or feminist was never about looking down on our opposite gender or even trying to prove ourselves to them or society. It is always about doing our best in whatever sector or role we are with equal rights, opportunities, and dignity. It is perfectly normal to be ambitious or self-sufficient; it is also equally normal if one chooses to manage her household and help her family. We are empowered when we know our self-worth, the ability to determine our own choices, and the right to influence social change for ourselves and others.
“A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction.”- Virginia Woolf. It argues that a woman needs financial freedom to be able to control her own space and life- to be unhindered by interruptions and sacrifices to gain intellectual freedom and therefore be able to write.
Financial empowerment is the new feminism. Women can’t be fully empowered until they are financially empowered. To be financially independent, one must understand the concept of it, it is living without debt and having an income that can easily cover expenses or having enough income to pay one’s living expenses for the rest of one’s life without having to be employed or dependent on others. Generally, women are less likely than men to discuss finances, so they start at a big disadvantage. A financially empowered person is both informed and skilled. They understand how they spend their money, make wise financial decisions, and have access to resources to help them reach their goals. We should get involved in money matters. Only by handling money, does our confidence level increase. Women who earn for themselves are also more likely to spend that money towards better healthcare, education, and living standards for their families. Girls and women spend 90 percent of their earned income on their families. It is important for both working and non-working women to be enlightened about the importance of savings and investments. It will help us to build up our self-confidence and decision-making power. To achieve these qualities, it is of utmost importance to discuss money, make investments- not only in gold or estates but also equities and take small steps to understand various financial instruments that can help grow the money. If she can learn, she can earn.

Please do share your journey of being financially empowered.

28 Likes

Rightly said👍 most of the social issues can be resolved with financial empowerment, it brings the freedom and opportunity to express oneself and to incline you towards all opportunities that exist.
Financial Markets provide equal opportunity to everyone be it a man or women that’s why i always encourage especially women to actively participate in financial literacy apart from doing jobs and business.

1 Like

The great thing about the stock market world is that it is very easy to start. Its roughly around 10 min online now excluding the account enabling period at the stock broker end. Information and knowledge is everywhere accessible anywhere with a mobile device. Women, roll in and grab your place in the financial world.

On a side note, when I look back all my customers be it for custom coding or standard products, they are all men. This is on a global context am talking about. Its very surprising.

1 Like

A lot of what is written are problems due to women going full throttle with hypergamy and herd mentality. Hypergamy doesn’t actually work (saying for both genders).

For financial empowerment , here is a single biggest tip. Gary Vee also said this too "get off your parents payroll. Your parents payroll is the single biggest poison that can destroy you overtime ". A lot of girls earn but they are always on someone’s payroll directly or indirectly most of the time. Just by going off someone’s payroll and support pushes you to learn, save and take responsibilities for self. There are plenty of books and YouTube videos to learn financial things. Understanding things like margin, lot, index funds for that zerodha varsity itself is enough.

I was just a regular kid like everyone else and spent quite a while being broke (we have all been there). I did some amount of odd jobs including working at call center night shifts which forced me to learn new things and got a way better job in IT dev. But working here even though I see good salary i was wondering how long can I do this and this crazy expectations of next getting married ,running family and to pack it all up motivated me and I started reading. The very first book I read was “rich dad poor dad” . It had profound effect on me and realised I had a poor dad mentality. This is not about my parents this was just the mentality of where I was. Rich people do things differently and it’s not because they are rich, they have a completely different approach and outlook. The second book I read was “four hour work week” by Tim Ferris. That took a lot of fears away.

For financial information refer below:-

How the economic machine works by Ray dalio

Hidden secrets of money by mike maloney. The entire series is gold. Nice series to binge watch.

What fed reserve has done so far and understanding keyensians and central banks. Watch above two videos first

2 Likes

To start with, I am a man. A father, son and husband. Both my wife and I are engineers and have full-time jobs. A daughter, studying for a master’s degree after engineering, and a son who just started his engineering degree. My wife and I have similar income levels.

With that out of the way and the context set, my thoughts on this topic. There are two aspects. Two main ones, there are many more of course, but those are outside my sphere of influence.

Our girls are educated. Perhaps not all and as well, but we are getting there as a nation. Their capacity & capability to earn a living and be financially independent is unquestionable. Their circumstances, which dictate their ability to be so, is however questionable.

I have held leadership positions in Indian companies as HOD, with hundreds of people directly or indirectly reporting to me. There is a curious but glaring fact that is perhaps not spoken about. We had lots of young women in their 20s working in our group. About 35% of the total strength was female. And we had a few, too few, a mere handful of senior women, those who were 45 plus. In between, say from 28 - 32 onwards, there was an almost complete Vaccum, baring a few exceptions.

Why? Where did all the young women go? Why did they drop out of the active professional careers that they started with such promise?

Marriage and motherhood.

Our girls bear the bulk of the family burden. And their role and contributions are not even properly acknowledged. And this leaves them financially dependent on their spouses in spite of the fact that they themselves have the capacity & capability to earn as well as their spouses.

Add to that social mores. I live in a building full of professional “men”. And their families. I live in my wife’s company flat - I am the “spouse” at office parties! There are 3 working women in the entire building. The rest are housewives - with Master of Arts & Science degrees. Even PhDs. They all have the capacity. But perhaps not the right circumstances.

How do we go about correcting this? Start at the home of course. Financial education is a must from early childhood. But, in my mind, it is even more important that I do not get in the way of their development by being way too fatherly and protective. Throw them into the deep end of the pool and let them learn to swim. Be ready to jump in and lend a hand if they need it, but let them feel the pleasure of being able to float on their own and race through the water by the strength of their own muscles. The earlier the better. And no differences between the daughter and the son. None at all. I have given them both a fixed target on which date old dad & mom stop paying the bills. They only provide “gifts”, when they want to, but the mobile, electricity, petrol, rent, groceries, restaurants and all other bills are their headaches from that time on. The deep end of the pool. There be sharks there. I have been working hard to prepare them both to avoid being shark prey.

That is one part of the story. The one that involves me being a father. The second is the one that involves me as the husband. There, I am afraid, I don’t have a good enough record. Yet.

My wife is an engineer and a General Manager in a Navratna, one of the largest PSUs of India. She handles revenue flow running into thousands of crores every year. She is financially independent by virtue of her income over a career spanning two and a half decades as well as the additional years of work ahead of her. But she is financially illiterate when it comes to managing her own money and depends on me to get it done.

That is my failure, not hers.

In the early years of marriage and family, I failed to carry an equal load at home, leaving her with scant time and energy to educate herself in this area. I took the time to learn, experiment and gain experience in managing money - something we should have been taught in childhood. But I failed to see and acknowledge the fact that she too needs time and energy to devote to this. I am, hopefully, wiser now and trying to make sure she has the time, energy and resources to learn. And I hope it is not too late for her. I sincerely hope not.

My efforts in this regard are the best “Life Insurance” I can offer her.

These are my contributions to the topic of women being financially independent. As a man, a father and a husband, these are my key focus areas.

With the grace of the Gods I hope to gain some success in this lifetime.

5 Likes