Would you buy a Tesla Car for 20-25 lakhs?

Trusting source based information is a recipe for disaster but IF this rumor has even bit of element of truth in it, This can be a game changer for Indian market which can lead to a massive disruption over the coming years.

It will not just disrupt the existing players and industry but also accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles in the country.

Depends on the car…

At best, Tesla Model 3 will cost ~45 lac ex in India, but it will likely be priced on par with Volvo XC40 Recharge, so 56 lac ex.

For 20-25 lac, it will have to be a ‘made for India in India’ car.

Buying Tesla is like buying bitcoin. No further explanation is needed.

What’s the correlation?

Currently at this price bracket, MG sells their ZS EV.

If they bring a Tesla at the price bracket, it would be a game-changer. But it will have to be something made for India which is highly unlikely on Tesla’s plan.

Bitcoin is a gamble, meaning that there are no independent variables to predict its price, unlike the stock market. Elon’s decision-making is similar and does not depend on his management or anyone else. It is a dictatorial greedy philosophy, he does what he wants, and that is not how to run a successful company in the long run. Personal opinion.

I thought this thread was about buying Tesla car and not $TSLA stock.

Well, what’s wrong with this? He’s built multiple businesses running well.

Look at failed American car businesses in India with top management. Chevy, GM, and now Ford. RIP.

Nope. Already have a TATA EV extensively tested and optimised for Indian terrain and climate.

1 Like

it will endup same as starlink, on hold forever.

Well, both seem the same in terms of investing. In fact, stocks are better than a car, which always depreciates :grinning:

Yes, Vijay Mallya also started the same way. Time will tell. Mostly, honest business operations tend to survive the long run, and I’ll leave it at that.

IMO EV’s are unreliable as hell. Anyone buying that must be insane. I cant imagine running out of battery power in long rides or waiting in long queues for charging a car. Not to mention crazy long wait times at charging station because its not like petrol/diesel.

its probably good for delivery boys where everyday the kms and area are well defined and at night can charge at office, otherwise EV’s are pain in the neck

anyone going to out to far places or places with less EV charging station should be carrying diesel generator!

2 Likes

Smooth, silent, zippy and greener alternative to ICE. Less maintenance hassle and lower overall cost to go with it.

When mobile phones first came the battery used to last for many days. When smart phones came the battery didn’t last for even a day. But we got used to it. One needs to get used to electric vehicle.

Unlike ICE vehicle we can charge the vehicle at our home. Typically done overnight when we sleep.

There are already many public fast charging stations which can be booked ahead (mobile app) and used when one intends to go for a long drive.

It does require better planning than ICE but it can be done without trouble.

Battery tech typically gets a major update every decade or so on an average compared to semiconductors which gets an update every 2 yrs or so. But with the advent of more and more battery operated vehicles and the push from market need, faster research on battery tech is happening now.

Every passing year we are seeing vehicles with significant update to range and charging time. Also more and more charging stations are coming up. It is only going to get better.

1 Like

Tesla will never succeed in India.

For that price , people will buy a merc/Audi/bmw. At least they can show off the badge.

No one will care if you drive around in a tesla , in India at least.

All looks good in paper only. It’s hassle. Why anyone would waste time going to fast charging station booking and wasting time. Even if average charging time is 10 minutes to get bare minimum 25% of car battery up, the wait times are insane. Even tesla’s fast charging station takes 30 minutes to charge car from 0 to 100% . With sheer number of users multipled by charging wait time, the queue for charging ev car is longer than queue of ration shop.

As far as overnight charging, so what are you gonna do if power is not there overnight . Are you gonna put a diesel generator or a big battery to make sure car charges in house overnight. That seems absurd. It’s lot of hassle.

The biggest issue is reliability. Under cold , hot conditions, how well battery’s gonna hold?? . Alright man leave the battery stuff too. If you run out of fuel in middle of nowhere, we can push the car to side. Lock the window, ask lift to nearest fuel station and put some diesel to get to a nearby fuel station and manage or call roadside services that will arrange for diesel. With EV car running out of battery nothing can be done than to wait for tow truck. I can’t imagine the stress , anxiety and logistics part of it. It’s nightmarish especially if you go to places like ladakh!

I am an EV user. What I have described is from my experience. Typically EV charging stations are placed where there are other activities around - malls, beach / parks, restaurants etc. So time is not really wasted. The fact that EV can be charged from the home means there hasn’t really been a rush at EV fast charging stations here at my place inspite of massive move to EVs. Also aiding is the fact that there are number of places in the city where I can get the car fast charged if need be.

Well its been a very long time since I have seen an overnight power cut. But I have seen petrol shortage due to strike and hartals more here. Besides if push comes to shove diesal generator option is also there.

Battery is actively maintained at a 15-35C range by the car system for optimal performance. Some car providers already provide mobile charging stations for EVs. The EV ecosystem in the country and the world is growing buddy.

It does need a getting used to !!!

1 Like

Wonder which stock gets you from location A to location B :smiley: