XIRR or CAGR return on COIN

We look forward seeing this feature in all investment platforms of @zerodha, @upstox etc

try mprofit, they have xirr based reports. you can sort based on xirr.

Very clean and nice reports.

They are the only one who have managed to get it right.

They also give regular updates.

I don’t think we can expect that kind of reporting from other platforms, no matter how much you request them.

+1 on these

Hi Zerodha Team,

I just wanted to check if you guys have anything in pipeline to include either CAGR/XIRR/Annualized return on the overall mutual fund portfolio with respect to coin?

Believe folks in the thread have similar query as mine - I would also prefer to see how my portfolio of mutual funds is doing overall at an aggregate level. Further, I understand the fact that XIRR is available at individual fund level, but when we diversify it is always better to see our aggregated return for the portfolio to see it we are able to beat the inflation etc…

@Bhuvan; @nithin - Would be really helpful if you guys can confirm if there has been any progress made on the issue. Also, would understand if you could confirm if the feature is not feasible.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate a response on the same.

XIRR/CAGR makes sense only at a portfolio level. Calculating this is tricky and hard because customers tend to transfer in and out both funds and securities. What we are working on currently is to be able to create a daily NAV of sorts for your account (like an MF). Once we have daily NAV, then calculating any return becomes simple. But daily NAV calculation for every customer and for every day isn’t easy at our scale, and hence taking time.

Not understanding why such a basic feature is not available to view on the Coin app or any Console report.
It doesn’t even need to be on the Coin app. A column can be added to the portfolio report on Console.

Even if the XIRR is being calculated at runtime during the MF drilldown on Coin, that can be done during the report generation for MF?

Currently XIRR is shown scheme-wise on both the Coin App and the web for investments with a duration of more than 1 year. We will plan on displaying the portfolio-wise XIRR/CAGR on Console soon. This has taken some time due to the complexities involved with edge cases. For now, you can check this article to learn how to calculate XIRR/CAGR.

1 Like

Can you do it separately for mfs and equity if not at the portfolio level ? Also since xirr is designed to calculate returns on a portfolio with irregular cash flows why is it not fit for purpose for this use case ? If it can be done in excel surely it can be done on the platform ?
It feels like zerodha doesn’t want users to know how their portfolio is truly performing !

There are technical challenges around doing this for equity and at a portfolio level consisting the amount of data that has to be processed and calculated. The nature of XIRR calculation is also intensive given that it’s a iterative calculation, meaning it involves a series of guesses. Having said that the first thing we’ll do is show a equity curve on Console that will allow you to benchmark your portfolio against a benchmark. We’ll then figure out a way to show XIRR as well.

1 Like

Portfolio level XIRR is basic requirement that needs to be fulfilled by any investment platform. XIRR is the right metric to assess the portfolio health / returns.

XIRR computation, may be complex and time intensive - but it doesn’t make any sense to look at Absolute Profit for a mixed portfolio of long and short term investments.

I am still not able to understand why there hasn’t been any progress / resolution regarding a basic requirement for more than 3+ years.