Your opinions on my MF Portfolio.

Hi All,
Please find below my monthly investment portfolio. Share your opinion if I need to continue with these funds. I am 29 and married. No liabilities. Planning to invest for long term wealth creation like not to sell any of these atleast for 15 years.

1. SBI Small Cap - 25k/Month
  2. SBI Flexi Cap - 25k/Month
  3. Axis Nifty 100 Index Fund - 40k/Month
  4. Gold - 3Lakh/year - Saved through RD.

I am having another 30k to invest in midcap and small cap Index MF. Please advice.

1. Equity allocation is really based on your own comfort level. 15+ year holding is good, make sure to remember that when things are tough. Also small and midcaps are outperforming these days, then may under perform in future. Its fine to invest in them for long term i guess, just don’t extrapolate too much from last few years returns.
  2. Consider putting some in high credit debt funds, this can help in diversification, it will reduce overall risk - but also returns. One can argue that if you can manage to hold for 1-2 decades or more, that this is not strictly necessary if you don’t need these funds for expenses.
  3. Instead of gold, can consider sovereign gold bonds. They give 2.5% extra interest (taxable) every year + if you hold till maturity, there is no capital gains. Verify this before investing. Also check if would need to withdraw, i am not sure how liquid they are.
  4. As retirement age / withdrawal target time nears, can try to find something that can emulate ‘Ray Dalio All Weather Portfolio’. In theory its supposed to give better risk adjusted returns, while reducing the massive Drawdown risk of equity alone.

Maybe below can be a good read too.

1. instead of putting in RD and investing in gold , you can directly buy SGBs , you will get 2.5% interest as well with tax benefit .

2. I would suggest dont do SIP as your investment is going in lakhs wait for good down turn every year , till that point keep in SGB once nifty reaches low you can buy index.

3. If I am in your place i would invest in Index fund instead of flexi coz in the long run no fund can beat Index returns.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I will take note of your suggestions.