How many years experience is needed to become a pro trader?

• less than 1
  • 1 to 3 years
  • 3 to 5 yrs
  • 5 to 10 yrs
  • more than 10 yrs

0 voters

2 Likes

On my prospect,
To become a pro in trading, years dont matter…

Hard work and dedication does really matter

i have belief in me, so i voted for less than 1 year…

3 Likes

it’s a shame on pro-ness if it comes in just few years. :smiley:

3 Likes

depends upon ones luck

3 Likes

one needs to gain experience trading in bull , bear and consolidation markets …
they will be well prepared to trade on any phase of the mkt frm then on

7 Likes

well, i disagree. Luck has its own probability.

1 Like

I will assume consistency in performance as a measure of a Pro trader. This primarily depends on

-How long a trader needs to cross the initial phase or survives. Initial phase is when traders go thro fear, losses, blow ups, going in circle to find holy grail strategy, or indicator. This is the phase where most traders give up and drop out. Character and commitment are very important to survive this phase.

I have heard some traders turning profitable after 10 years some have done it in couple of years. Peter Brandt says it takes about 3 to 5 years.

-Once the trader crosses this phase and survives. He would have already settled down with his plan, process and rules of the game. Trader will then have to start practicing on overcoming fear, avoiding self sabotage and staying disciplined with plan and process.

I trade for about two years now and I consider myself being at the second stage.

11 Likes

Well @leodecaps Then u think if someone simply being in trade for 10 or more years without learning and earning anything and having losses even after 10 years of experience is a sign of proness

Yes I almost agree with u @RahulN and @iprashant

Thanks for sharing ur thoughts with me @TraderVenk and @VelmuruganSengottai
Ur thoughts will be surely helpful for me in upgrading myself…

1 Like

I think 5 years is most accurate.

1 Like

@TradeOps

Can u kindly explain why u think so ?

Because only a professional will stay in market for that long.All others will quit by then.

3 Likes

nice explanation @TradeOps

Great one

1 Like

IMHO - never should be an option in the vote

2 Likes

really great, a very different opinion from deep of ur heart, i think so,

In trading, no one can even predict a .

really happy to receive ur opinion, hats off to u :ok_hand:

1 Like

it is not to dishearten anyone, I only think, lots of people want to become traders and lose out on other life making opportunities which get ignored in the “trade for a living” belief…short term and long term investment is however very different which can yield results too

1 Like

@muneesh
i think, if people avoid intraday trading then, it will be well and good for them,

My opinion - Intraday trading produce more beggars than billionaires…

agreed

1 Like

Experience of going through one losing and one winning trade should be enough to call oneself a pro…

1 Like