50L+ losses in F&O. How to recover?

That’s victim blaming. People don’t lose money in FNO because they lack self discipline but because of inherent nature of options which is like Slot Machine. You can’t blame someone for losing a rigged game.

3 Likes

Trading is all about 90% self discipline right ? And also Keeping aside loans, Coming back later into the markets think so after he cleared debts i.e. may be a year and half . He could start with 1L Capital and maintain his calmness while entry and mainly exits.

I Started when I was 18, I’m almost 25 now i.e. 6-7 years in the markets and I dont have any regrets of losing my entire college fees in a week or so with no source of income and dropping out of college telling no one in the family, I am the guy who has not even passed 12th yet making roughly 1cr+ a month. I finally told my parents about what happened in the past after making a hell out of money in the markets.

Its not about the situation, Its about the Mindset.

2 Likes

@dc246 Hopefully you got this loud and clear.

Awesome!

i am generally skeptical about such unsubstantiated claims.

However, in this case,
maybe you can see it in your heart to pay-off OP’s outstanding debts right away
(after all it is “just a couple of weeks” worth of profits for you, right?)
With the explicit understanding that OP will follow your system,
are you confident that he will quickly recuperate the losses,
and will be able to repay you back in a month or two?

I am assuming the proper response to the above hare-brained scheme of mine is -
“Sorry, not interested. I didn’t get to where i am by lending gamblers more money.”
But, hey no harm in asking i guess. :blush:

PS: Presumably there is a kicker in the 1cr+/month setup that makes it impossible for OP to start following the system and generate similar returns. Something along the lines of it needs 10Cr capital/margin.

Maybe a better gift to OP would be sharing the details of the appropriate risk-management in place when dealing with such sums.

Everything including…

• the market-research involved
  • any chart-analysis to be performed
  • orders to be setup
  • and having one’s wealth in diversified assets in the first place
    to be able to afford taking such risks in the market.

(Hopefully, having a peek at all that enlightens OP on how far away they are from achieving profit from trading, and not tempt fate again in the near future.)

1 Like

No way he can recover 50L in a month or two even if he follow any system which has calculated risks.

1 Like

Common Stop calling gamblers, we are traders, we know how it works, we started of like that.

1 Like

If you have that much money , consider investing and or swing trading. Option trading is 100% risky. You need to know why 99% looses money in fno trading.

Options can never give a stable income. In Older times , option sellers enjoyed the power of their capital and predefined max ranges of market can spike. But thats not the same in the present times. Market valuation and liquidity is changed. Dynamics changed. Even they feel the heat. If options sellers are on the edge , then buyers are not even in the picture.

1. Lots of post so you may skim over it. But read cvs post again.
    50L+ losses in F&O. How to recover? - #20 by cvs

2. Only 2% of people make more than FD in market as per Zerodha boss. That is the reality. Why do you believe you can be in this 1-2% of people ? Discipline is required in trading, but it wont make you money on its own.

3. So most lose, but a ( hopefully) small section of people lose extraordinarily. They bet the house and more and lose. When i started trading i came across a guy who lost everything and had to start working as a waiter. You seem to belong to this category with strong gambling mentality and absolutely no regard for money and risk. DONT TRADE WITH SIZABLE CAPITAL ANYTIME SOON. EVEN BETTER - STOP TRADING. You are not going to make money back, you will fall into a deeper well instead.

4. You don’t have money anymore, you are in debt. Trading with debt is incredibly foolish. Stop doing that, EMI pressure will keep increasing if you trade today.

5. You are young enough with many years of salary left. Focus on your career, increase your salary and pay off you debts. Then focus on savings. Trading is not for you, not anytime soon anyway.

6. Remember this - Trying to recover losses generally ends badly for people. you turned a 6L loss into 50L+ loss. This will only increase if you trade. Dont look for holy grail strategy to recover your losses, there are none. No one will give you ready made system and anyway you dont have any capital to trade. Dont trade with loan. Save your life, don’t trade, you have good salary and lots of years ahead of you to recover and make more.

2 Likes

Less than 1%

And I don’t agree with the idea that Trading is like running a Business. In which business on planet Earth you can be in top 1% by doing absolutely nothing? But in trading you can be in top 1% by just opening a FD and chilling.

1 Like

The regime changes every 3 months. It takes 3-4 years to see some of the cycles of markets and their behaviour to be able to trade it comfortably

You need to identify a style which works for you. If you decide to copy it mostly doesnt work that good compared to the one who is already trading it

1. Pay off your loans. To be in the trading arena, I strongly believe you shouldn’t have any loans / EMIs
  2. Stick to one limited capital which you can lose and trade with that for 1-2 years and see if you are able to maintain the capital atleast if not making returns (not blow up)
  3. Don’t trade if you can’t take an mtm sl for a day
1 Like

eh? By that account, you can be top 1-10% in most businesses, by not doing the business, and opening an FD.
Business is hard. Trading is hard.

btw if you dont trade (or dont do business), and instead open an FD, you will be an FD investor, and not into that business (or trading). :wink:

4 Likes

@apple so is it right to assume you don’t trade?

Top 1% traders don’t earn anywhere close to top 1% businessmen. But an FD guy can have returns similar to top 1% traders. 99% traders lose money , I don’t know any job which is worse than this.

This whole effort to equate Trading with Business is laughable.

3 Likes

@dc246

I am also in the same situation.

1. Lost 16 lakh saving In FNO.
  2. Took 24 lakh loan and lost it in the FNO.

I do not know what to do now.

But i think following have killed my money.

1. Averaging
  2. Taking big losses
  3. Random Trade.
  4. Wrong position sizing

I have made the money for 33 days and losses for the 32 days. Following are the thing which i think i do right on profit making day.

1. Follow the price action.
  2. Avoid over size.
  3. pinpoint entry.
2 Likes

You personally cannot, and that’s okay :slight_smile:
But someone far more credible than you has said this, someone you both quoted and also disagreed with :sweat_smile:

*"Active Trading is like running a business"* -Nithin Kamath

You are laughable, thats the general reaction you get here… :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Go for system-based trading, option trading is simple, so don’t make it too complicated, It is all calculations and a probability game, for further help, you can WhatsApp me - at 8454966463 ( no call ), no tips & no call , only guidance

trueeee

50L+ losses in F&O

@dc246 In my view, I will give you a small opinion. If you want to recover 50 L, then don’t take the trade again. What I am saying is that clearly, if you want to recover that lost 50 L, you may again lose double from your assets. This is a very hard reality, brother. You can gamble in Las Vegas; that’s easier than making money in the market.

simply saying, Close your terminal and be calm and patient. start to learn what the market is and what the psychology of homo sapiens is. It might take time, but once you complete this Himalayan task, you will become a good market participant . Don’t think in terms of trading; rather, think about long term investing. You will get a winning probability of 90% or higher if you are investing in equity. There is no shortcut to making money in the market. So let’s start to open the book. Good luck !

I would advise you to completely exit from stock market and don’t ever come back to it. Because you already lost a big amount ,maybe it’s not big enough for you right now. If you are saying you make 1.75 L a month then it’s not a big deal, it will take only 2 to 3 years to get back to your previous situation. You can invest from outside like SIP or mutual fund. Are market ke bina bhi jindagi chalti he itna stress lene ji jarurat nahi he…

1 Like

“any suggestion on how I can recover from here emotionally”

“When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging” -Will Rogers
Stop trading and delete the broker app, you should not trade when emotions are running amok.

Rule 1 in trading, trade with capital you can afford to lose.
Set rules for money, read the money management chapter in Trading for a Living by Alexander Elder.

Every trader should have a written plan initially and follow the plan religiously.

Simple Plan

1. I will consider buying shares if they satisfy the below criteria. Everyone’s criteria are different.

I use PE, PB and dividend yield to mean reversion.

Let’s say I will buy when PE is below 20

1. I will buy no more than 1% per stock.

2. I will sell when PE is 30.

People may laugh at the above plan but I made money on it, not kidding :slight_smile:

"how can I better fix my trading setup/ strategy "

What was your setup, please post your trading plan here.
Trade in individual stocks first and move to options, why jump to options directly?

Most traders forget personal finance, it will be nice to make a living trading but consider having personal finances in order.

It is great you make 1.75 lakhs and with money comes responsibility too. ( Spiderman proverbs :slight_smile: )
Have emergency savings of 3 to 6 months
Identify goals short medium and long term and have a plan in place

Diversify your income via bonds, rentals, dividends, option income, capital gains and mutual funds both passive and active.

Do not swing for fences with every pitch, getting rich is nice but enjoying what we have is even more important. Enjoy the process of investing /trading, why make money be stressed and emotionally drained?

Everyone here can give you advice but only family/friends will have your back. Talk to family/friends who understand.

Nifty 50 is up 20% since Feb 2023 and the bond yield is 7% most traders make less than fixed deposits its a fact. We should accept it and plan accordingly.

Do not be in a hurry, just imagine beating inflation for decades to come and the serious money we can make.

“I think I can eventually learn and be profitable in Option Trading”

Why just options? Explore a few more strategies.

I had mildly put it but 50L is serious money try depositing money in a liquid fund and move gains to a trading account next time until you make a 10% return for a few years.

Do not spiral into more debt ever.

On the brighter side, you have a job with 1.75L, family/friends and sure can get a higher salary with experience.
Good things take time, a long time try reducing your expenses and peck at debt rupee by rupee.
Having a plan for clearing debt without a plan is just wishful thinking.

Take care of your health mate, you will dig out of debt just focus on reducing it. You have the experiences of losing use to your advantage so swear you will not be in this situation ever again.

This too shall pass

2 Likes