Adani Enterprises Lower Circuit 35%

do you know how i got them to stop?

i said i need the loan, send someone. next day a guy showed up at my office. i didnt let him leave until my phone number was taken off from their call list

4 years and counting - no more calls from them !

If they call me when I am free I just speak to them nicely about their well being because they are just doing their job. But if am busy I just disconnect. :joy:

I have activated DND on my phone and immediately report these numbers whenever I get these type of calls. In the past 6 months, this has reduced these type of calls to 80-90%. DND seems to be effective to some extent.

This. All: If you haven’t done so already, please install the TRAI DND app (Android app link) on your phones, and diligently report each spam call. They follow up with action (and update us about it), like limiting outgoing calls for that spam caller for a month, and such.

(Some good should come out of this thread!)

1 Like

Keeping the app is not necessary. We can report through telco also. I repirt through my jio app. They immediately assign complaint no and start sending regular follow ups/updates through sms and email about action taken.

2 Likes

Futures also are in a cooling-off period. Options continue to trade. But I guess something will be done about this, as it seems unfair that only options traders can continue to trade. So options might also have a cooling-off period in the future.

This is the risk of broking business.

Dependency on day trading and F&O community for revenue

We continue to charge no brokerage fees from investors, which means that we depend on intraday equity and F&O traders for revenue. This comes with a few risks.
Powering leveraged trades as a broker comes with a risk; it is almost like running an insurance business. You charge a small fee and allow a customer to trade with leverage, but every once in a while, there will be a black swan event when a group of customers can lose more than their capital, which can become a liability if the customer doesn’t bring in funds. For example, in April 2020, when crude oil prices settled at -$37, a negative value, which no risk management system worldwide had planned. We lost ~₹30 crores that day, and many international brokers lost tens of millions of dollars. Quite a bit of brokerage we had generated from Crude oil since the start of our business was lost that day. There have been many such events on individual scrips, the most recent being GBPINR moving ~4% in a day when margin requirement was ~2%. There is no way around this risk, and we could wake up any day with a large event that moves the entire market or individual scrips by more than 20% lower or higher, leading to liability on the broker if the client defaults. We have been allocating 10% of our profits to a war chest from the start of our business as a contingency to cover for whenever there is a black swan.

Any regulatory change, be it a product suitability framework for F&O trading, higher margins, an increase in STT, or even a drop in market volatility, can cause a significant dip in active trading volumes and our revenue. I keep telling our team that we are always just one circular away from a 30% dip in revenue. But thanks to our frugal operations and profitability from the start of our business, we have over 15 years of runway today. So even if we were forced to pivot our business model, we would have sufficient time to figure it out.

3 Likes

One last question. How do you handle this:

Though it is explained there, still this question remains:
On expiry day only 50% of the total value of the future is blocked. Suppose I have 10 lots of a stock future whose one future worth is 5 lakhs. I do have (5*10)/2 = 25 lakhs in my trading account which is blocked. It was a Future Long trade which is now ITM. Now it’s time to receive the stock and I do not have the money. From where the rest 25 lakhs will come?

The broker will be forced to put up the rest of the money in case of long contracts that leads to delivery. The broker will end up charging a delayed payment charge on this money. Typically between 0.03% to 0.1% per day. At Zerodha, it is 0.05% per day.

1 Like

But the trader may open an account elsewhere; he may not pay the rest. So this risk is with the broker. Got it, this is the risk (and many others as well) in the brokerage business that one should know.

Nithin, you wrote this at 5:26 AM. You are 6 years younger than me; I feel I can give you some advice, please do not mind. For God’s Sake, no amount of money in the world is higher than our health and family. I am sure you know this. Sleep for 6-7 hours daily, eat good food, exercise, pray, and give time to your family, then comes the role of ZERODHA CEO.

You have made so much that 99% of it you do not need. You can take it slow as of course Zerodha is a responsibility. I may have probably not even 0.5% of what you have but I am fully satisfied and work because we humans cannot rest 24 hours a day. I watch movies with my wife, mostly 10 am shows in the cinema hall on weekdays (after leaving my kids at school) when the entire world is running after money :slight_smile:

From this post :slight_smile:

We continue to charge no brokerage fees from investors, which means that we depend on intraday equity and F&O traders for revenue. This comes with a few risks.
Powering leveraged trades as a broker comes with a risk; it is almost like running an insurance business. You charge a small fee and allow a customer to trade with leverage, but every once in a while, there will be a black swan event when a group of customers can lose more than their capital, which can become a liability if the customer doesn’t bring in funds. For example, in April 2020, when crude oil prices settled at -$37, a negative value, which no risk management system worldwide had planned. We lost ~₹30 crores that day, and many international brokers lost tens of millions of dollars. Quite a bit of brokerage we had generated from Crude oil since the start of our business was lost that day. There have been many such events on individual scrips, the most recent being GBPINR moving ~4% in a day when margin requirement was ~2%. There is no way around this risk, and we could wake up any day with a large event that moves the entire market or individual scrips by more than 20% lower or higher, leading to liability on the broker if the client defaults. We have been allocating 10% of our profits to a war chest from the start of our business as a contingency to cover for whenever there is a black swan.

I start my day at 5 am. Between 5 am to 5.30 am, Seema (wife) & I usually have our black coffee before our intense workout that starts at 5.30 am. Today the routine changed with me being up a few minutes before her and hence got 15 mins to check on some work. By the way, I normally turn off all devices by 7 pm and in the bed by 9 pm. I am quite a health geek, and that passion has extended into helping startups that are helping Indians make healthier choices easier through https://rainmatter.com/

I make sure to spend atleast 1 hour in the nights before sleep with Kiaan (my son, seven years old). Playing music, football, & doing some maths/science/answering his questions.

Here is a post I had recently shared on social media.

And that’s my latest pic, struggling to get my body fat to ~12%, which is, I think, optimal for longevity.

Excuse me on going overboard on the answer with all the personal info. :wink: I use every opportunity to sell the idea of importance of caring about health. :grimacing:

24 Likes

@nithin Rock solid gains with a Z. Gainzzzz. :rofl: :rofl:

well you know I’m a fan

Very nice progress indeed :ok_hand: :+1: :+1:I too have six pack ( but I hesitate to post my pic here…LOL). Besides position trading, I love doing yoga and home workout ( never joined gym though).