Ask us anything about the Bharat Bond ETF

Edelweiss is set to launch series II of Bharat Bond ETF - a debt ETF that will only hold bonds issued by public sector undertaking (PSUs). Now the really interesting thing about this ETF is that it is a defined maturity ETF, similar to a Fixed Maturity Plan.

What is Target Maturity Bond ETF?

A Target Maturity Bond ETF is an exchange traded fund which has a defined fixed maturity that invests in bonds with similar maturity. This enables it to combine features of bond and mutual funds both. In these ETF’s the underlying securities are held until they maturity of the Scheme.

What is BHARAT Bond ETF?

BHARAT Bond ETF is an Initiative by Government of India to cater to the borrowing requirements of Pubic Sector by pooling investments from retail, HNI and institutional investors. Edelweiss Asset Management has been given the mandate to manage this BHARAT Bond ETF program.

What will the ETF hold?

BHARAT Bond ETF will invest only in the bonds issued by Public Sector Companies. Even within these companies, it will invest only in those bonds, which has a credit rating of AAA.

What are the Advantages of BHARAT Bond ETF vs other debt MF and Bonds?

BHARAT Bond ETF provides following benefits

• easy and low-cost access to Public Sector Bonds
  • better liquidity than Bonds
  • better transparency than Bonds and MFs
  • predictability of return
  • Higher tax efficiency to Bonds as coupons from the Bonds are taxed at marginal rates. Bond ETFs are taxed with the benefit of indexation which significantly reduces the tax on return for investor.

How will the interest payments be paid?

The coupons in the ETF will be reinvested. And once the ETF matures, the entire proceeds will be paid out to you.

What will be the expense ratio of the ETF?

The Fund will be managed at a very low cost – 0.0005%#

What are investment gateway options available for Investors?

Investors holding demat account can invest BHARAT Bond ETF. Investor who do not have a demat account have an alternative option to invest via BHARAT Bond Fund of Funds which will invest in the underlying ETF and will have similar maturity as that of the underlying ETF.

What will be the applicable Tax?

As BHARAT Fund ETF will be investing in Fixed Income securities, Debt Taxation will be applicable to investors. Short Term capital Gain (STCG) is taxed at marginal rate and Long Term Capital Gain (LTCG) after 3 years is taxed 20% post Indexation Benefit.

When is the issue opening and how can I buy Bharat Bond ETF?

The NFO opens on 14th July, 2020 and closes on 17th July,2020 . We’ll post the link to the order collection page shortly.

Constituents of the ETF.

Nifty BHARAT Bond Index – April 2025 constituents

Issuer Credit Rating No. of ISINs Outstanding Bond Issuance amount (in crs.) Weight
POWER FINANCE CORP.LTD. AAA 17 27409.20 15%
REC LIMITED AAA 10 19254.00 15%
POWER GRID CORP.OF INDIA LTD. AAA 16 10055.36 15%
NATIONAL HOUSING BANK AAA 2 3670.00 11%
INDIAN OIL CORP.LTD. AAA 1 2995.00 9%
NATIONAL BANK FOR AGRICULTURE & RURAL DEVELOPMENT AAA 1 2800.00 9%
HINDUSTAN PETROLEUM CORP.LTD. AAA 2 2500.00 8%
EXPORT-IMPORT BANK OF INDIA AAA 5 1765.00 5%
INDIAN RAILWAY FINANCE CORP.LTD. AAA 4 1707.00 5%
NTPC LTD. AAA 14 1267.00 4%
NHPC LTD. AAA 10 2092.80 3%
NUCLEAR POWER CORP.OF INDIA LTD. AAA 1 400.00 1%
Grand Total 83 75,915 100.00%

Index YTM : 5.71%*

The indicative yield provided is of the Index and not that of the Scheme. The Scheme (s) are neither Capital Protected nor guaranteed Return Product and may or may not generate return in line with Index. Indicative Yield of the Index is as on 30th June 2020

Nifty BHARAT Bond Index – April 2031 constituents

NIFTY Bharat Bond Index - April 2031 constituents

Issuer Credit Rating No. of ISINs Outstanding Bond Issuance amount (in Crs.) Weight
POWER FINANCE CORP.LTD. AAA 6 13783.00 15%
REC LIMITED AAA 2 5309.00 15%
POWER GRID CORP.OF INDIA LTD. AAA 5 1893.00 15%
NATIONAL HIGHWAYS AUTHORITY OF INDIA AAA 1 1824.00 15%
NUCLEAR POWER CORP.OF INDIA LTD. AAA 3 1600.00 15%
INDIAN RAILWAY FINANCE CORP.LTD. AAA 1 1410.00 13%
NHPC LTD. AAA 2 272.91 10%
HOUSING & URBAN DEVELOPMENT CORP. Ltd AAA 1 1040.00 2%
Grand Total 21 27,131.91 100.00%

Index YTM : 6.82%*

The indicative yield provided is of the Index and not that of the Scheme. The Scheme (s) are neither Capital Protected nor guaranteed Return Product and may or may not generate return in line with Index. Indicative Yield of the Index is as on 30th June 2020

The fund will be managed at very low cost - upto 10,000 crore - 0.0005% p.a. ; Next 10,001 crore to 20,000 - 0.0004% : Over 20,001 crores - 0.0001% p.a.)

2 Likes

@EdelweissMF, How can one subscribe for the issue ? What exactly are the methods through which one can apply ?

We’ll open up an order collection page for this. We’ll share the link shortly.

2 Likes

Any updates in order collection ?

1 Like

@EdelweissMF as far as my memory serves you launched Series-I last year December. And in July this year you are launching the second one.

What is the frequency of launching these series, please? Are you going to launch the next one in December this year also?

Thank you

Is the link ready ? Will you be sending us a mail with the link ?

Can I pledge BharatBond II for margin? I know we can pledge BhartBond I but has NSE approved BharatBond II?

1 Like

The issue is yet to open for subscription, units are yet to be allotted to subscribers. Once all this is done and exchange approves pledging for Bharat Bond II, you should be able to.

Is this correct? Or should it be ‘Higher tax efficiency’ to bonds?

Typo, thanks :slight_smile:

Hi… is the Bharat Bond 1 series considered as cash equivalent for margin trading. Can we expect the same for BB2 as well…

Bharat Bond isn’t considered as cash component. BB2 too should be available once listed and approved by exchange.

when is the listing?

I have applied for EDELWEISS BHARAT BOND ETF - APRIL 2025-MF and after allotment there is a refund of Rs.999.55 which has not been credited to my account yet , please confirm when it will get credited o my account ?

1 Like

@EdelweissMF average price is not showing and no of alloted qty is also not showing on kite holdings but showing on console.
Refund also not received yet , allotment mail received on 23rd July

When are we likely to be allowed to Pledge it
Would it take long when identical product is already running n pledge allowed

Feeling trapped for now as blocked my capital which i cant use for trading

May be it was Better to go with BB1 Or FOF instent of BB2

Same situation for me
Have not seen refund
Price i added manually in kite
Qty was showing though

Refunds have been processed.

We will once the ETF is part of the exchange approved collateral list. Probably next month.

1 Like