Everything you need to know about the NFO of Bharat Bond ETF

The NFO of Edelweiss Bharat Bond ETF open on July 14th and closes on July 17th. Bharat Bond is a debt ETF that will only hold bonds issued by public sector undertaking (PSUs). This ETF is that it is a defined maturity ETF, similar to a Fixed Maturity Plan. Before I explain more about Bharat Bond ETF (PSU debt ETF), you can check out this post if you want to learn more about how an ETF works.

How does a defined maturity ETF work?

A normal open-ended ETF doesn’t have a maturity date. For example, if you buy Liquidbees or a GIlt ETF, it will trade for as long as the ETF is listed. But the Bharat Bond ETF will have maturity dates. Edelweiss has initially launched 2 series of ETFs - 2023 ETF and 2030 ETF expiring in those respective years. This time the AMC is launching ETFs with maturities of 2025 and 2031. This is to allow you to get the benefits of indexation.

The AMC will keep launching new series. Each series will have an index and the ETF will just track that index.

What is the Bharat Bond ETF?

Bharat bond ETF is a debt exchange-traded fund (ETF) that will only hold bonds issued by PSU companies and other Government entities

What will the ETF hold?

The ETF will only hold bonds with AAA credit rating issued by the Government of India owned companies such as REC, PFC, NHAI, etc.

Will the ETF hold the same bonds till the maturity?

Not necessarily. The ETF will rebalance quarterly and if there are any changes to the index, the constituents will change. The ETF can only hold AAA-rated bonds, assuming that for example, REC is downgraded to AA, in that case, the index and the holding of the ETF will change.

How safe is the ETF?

Two of the biggest risks in bonds are default risk and interest rate risk. Default risk is nothing but the risk of a company not paying back its debt. Since the ETF will only hold bonds issued by PSUs, there is no default risk. PSU bonds carry an “implicit sovereign guarantee.” Meaning, the Govt doesn’t explicitly say that it guarantees the debt but it is understood that if something goes wrong the Govt will step in.

Interest risk remains. But if aren’t aware of what interest rate means

Pimco

This image should help you understand. We had also done a series of webinars on the basics of fixed income, you can check them out:

As interest rates rise and fall, the yields of the underlying bonds will rise and fall and by extension the price of the ETF. However, if you are holding the ETF until maturity, the risk will be negated.

How will the interest payments be paid?

The coupons in the ETF will be reinvested. And once the ETF matures, the entire proceeds will be paid out to you.

What will be the expense ratio of the ETF?

0.0005% for ETF and 0.05% for the fund of fund.

Can I sell the ETF before maturity?

Yes, you can, just like any other ETF on either NSE or BSE. But a general word of caution, there might some liquidity risk in ETFs given that ETFs aren’t really all that popular in India. By liquidity risk I mean, the difference between bids and offers. You can avoid this by placing limit orders.

What returns can I expect?

The Bharat Bond website shows the indicative yields of the ETFs. For the new ETFs being issued the yields are

2025: 5.46%

2031: 6.54%

What will be the taxation on this ETF?

If sold within 3 years, it will be considered as short term and STCG as per your income slab will be applicable. If sold after 3 years it will be considered as long term and LTCG of 20% with indexation is applicable.

When is the issue opening and how can I buy Bharat Bond ETF?

The NFO opens on July 14th and closes on July 17th. You can invest in Bharat Bond ETF here.

Constituents of the ETF.

Bharat Bond ETF 2025

Issuer Credit Rating No. of ISINs Outsatnding Weight
POWER FINANCE CORP.LTD AAA 17 27409.2 15%
REC LIMITED AAA 10 19254 15%
POWER GRID CORP.OF INDIA LTD. AAA 16 10055.36 15%
NATIONAL HOUSING BANK AAA 2 3670 10%
INDIAN OIL CORP.LTD. AAA 1 2995 9%
NATIONAL BANK FOR AGRICULTURE & RURAL DEVELOPMENT AAA 1 2800 8%
HINDUSTAN PETROLEUM CORP.LTD. AAA 2 2500 7%
EXPORT-IMPORT BANK OF INDIA AAA 5 1765 5%
EXPORT-IMPORT BANK OF INDIA AAA 4 1707 5%
NTPC LTD AAA 14 1267 4%
NHPC LTD. AAA 10 2092.8 6%
NUCLEAR POWER CORP.OF INDIA LTD. AAA 1 400 1%
83 75915.36 100%

Bharat Bond ETF 2031

Issuer Credit Rating No. of ISINs Outsatnding Weight
POWER FINANCE CORP.LTD AAA 6 13783 15%
REC LIMITED AAA 2 5309 15%
POWER GRID CORP.OF INDIA LTD. AAA 5 1893 15%
NATIONAL HIGHWAYS AUTHORITY OF INDIA AAA 1 1824 15%
NUCLEAR POWER CORP.OF INDIA LTD. AAA 3 1600 15%
INDIAN RAILWAY FINANCE CORP.LTD. AAA 1 1410 13%
HOUSING & URBAN DEVELOPMENT CORP. Ltd AAA 1 1040 10%
NHPC LTD. AAA 2 272.91 2%
21 27131.91 100%

The ETF maturing in the year 2025 will track the Nifty BHARAT Bond 2031 Index. You can check out the index constituents here for 2025 and 2031

Here’s a conversation with Dhawal Dalal, CIO of Fixed Income, Edelweiss Mutual Fund. In this conversation, we talk about the Bharat Bond ETF, Indian debt markets, the role of debt in a portfolio and a whole lot more.

Also, Check out this presentation to learn more about the ETF

If you have any questions about the ETF, you can post them here on the AMA thread being answered by @EdelweissMF

5 Likes

The 2 lakh limit is for both maturities taken together or I can invest 2 lakh in each maturity?

You can invest 2 lakhs in each maturity.

Thanks, but it is not clear from the offer document as the 2 lakh limit is mentioned together for both maturities. Can you please share the basis of your view.

Read SID for each scheme April 31 and April 25, on page 29 it is mentioned RII’s can invest maximum amount of 200,000.

Though NFO might be together but both are different schemes.

Isn’t the interest/coupon as same as the fixed deposit?

HDFC bank 3 year 1 day FD interest rate = 5.50%

What is the point of buying this bond (except you can sell it anytime)?

1 Like

Post office NSC has a rate of 6.8% for 5 years, compounded annually. This can be used as collateral for loans as well. What’s the advantage this etf has over fixed income government savings? Pls highlight.

Interest income from FDs is taxable. But with Bharat Bond, if held for more than 3 years, the tax is 20% with indexation.

But if my annual income is below 5 Lakhs, I don’t have to pay any tax on the FD returns, right?

Taxed as per your slab but TDS will be applicable which you can again claim back. But yeah, it’s a pain.

You’re locked in for 5 and 10 years depending on what you choose.

But no TDS if we submit Form 15H (for Senior citizens) or Form 15G (for Regular customers) for the FD. I’ve submitted them and there was no TDS.

That’s understood but he was speaking generally. Most people (except senior citizens) don’t submit 15G/15H and adjust it with the tax liability at year end

Yes interest income from FDs is taxable. If you hold this bond for more than 3 Years then the Ltcg Tax will be applicable (20%) on profit but you will get indexation benefits.

1 Like

Since liquid bees is considered as a cash component so what about bharat bond??

Bharat Bond isn’t considered as Cash Equivalent.

Thanks a lot shubh…Recently you guys have updated a list of all cash/non cash instruments for which i am really grateful…Sir i had a question about the list…In that you have included SBI MAGNUM GILT FUND REGULAR GROWTH as cash component but why didnt you guys included SBI MAGNUM GILT FUND DIRECT GROWTH as cash component?? Since your platform COIN boosts free investments in direct mutual funds, which is very helpful to us retail people so why isnt there a direct plan option in cash component list? Sir please address my query as i want to buy the mutual fund through coin and then pledge it

This is due to an issue with the accepted funds from the clearing corporation. We are talking to them to have this fixed. @Nakul, @Neelesh we need to fix this.

So meanwhile i shouldnt buy and pledge?

You can pledge the ones that are accepted currently.