Does zerodha sell information of its customers?

Exactly same case. Only after registering with Zerodha…daily 2-3 calls from different numbers of Madhya Pradesh origin.

No place for privacy in India. DND has become a mockery at the hands of Info sellers and Mobile service providers.

I opened an account for my brother with ICICI and he started getting calls and messages within a week. I further tested with Kotak for my wife and the same thing. This has become a systemic issue because I have friends who have other brokers and they are all facing the same hassle.

One reason why I am sure that this isn’t Zerodha is because, there was an SMS tip circulated with a deceptive name “ZERODA” “ZERODAR”. This is clearly a leak at the depositories or NSE. I’ve heard that depositories use external SMS service providers to send messages. Also found a letter Zerodha had submitted to SEBI https://fightstocktips.zerodha.com.

I registered a new account in zerodha a month back using a number which is never used anywhere related to stock market. Now I started receiving spam messages
@nithin if zerodha is not providing then there should be a loop hole in ur system

1 Like

All members, Zerodha is not sharing any data, I would like to share my experience on it. i am having account with other brokers too. I am also receiving Stockmarket calls from MP. One of These fake callcenter agent had accepted on call that they had taken data from CDSL holdings list, and based on CSDL data they are calling and running their business.

I recently opened Demat account with Zerodha and after opening of account started getting calls from Indore based numbers. I talked with 2 of the guys that I am interested in their services and prodded them to tell me from where they are getting this information. And both of them confirmed that they got the information from Demat account provider. Now started blocking all numbers with Indore STD code.

This only confirms my suspicion, that if not directly, Zerodha (management or employees or contractros) is still in cahoots with people who are disclosing and misusing their clients information. I will be closing my accounts with them now.

1 Like

@humans

so you will close all your brokerage accounts?

Amazing man, you are putting up a good fight.

1 Like

(1) It is wrong to say Zerodha is selling the data unless you have solid proof & Zerodha can take legal action for such allegations. The messages that you have posted can be used as evidence. In market you get cd with confidential info like mobile no & mail id for 500/-, so it is not that difficult to get the mobile no database & send sms. They send it to all no irrespective of they have trading a/c or not.
(2) This platform is hosted by Zerodha for sharing information, knowledge, tips n tricks etc… but not to make allegations against any broker. It is a free world any one can goto any broker, Zerodha is not stopping any one to go to another broker. So let us not abuse this platform & use it more wisely. Else Zerodha will shutdown this forum.

Didn’t know I said I am closing all brokerage accounts? Can you point out from which sentence you concluded this decision?

Abusing the platform? care to explain how? I just stated facts based on my observation, because earlier I had Demat accounts with ICICI, IL&FS and Angel for more than 6-7 yrs and I had never received such calls, but within one week of opening Demat account with Zerodha I started getting calls. And my previous accounts, opening new account, and my call records is the hard factual data on which I made this inference. So if Zerodha themselves are not disclosing PI information, they have the responsibility to work with their service providers (CDSL/NDSL) to prevent this, because ultimately we provided our information to them. If you say this is abuse of any kind, than really don’t know what else to say.

2 Likes

Hey, we have strict data privacy policies. We understand that this has become a nuisance and we are doing everything we can, right from informing out clients to report these calls and messages to raising the issue with the regulators. You can follow these steps described here https://fightstocktips.zerodha.com to report these calls and messages.

@humans

Lets assume for the sake of argument that zerodha does indeed sell customer info for money. Now Z is the third largest broker in india , so if they can leak the customer info for money, imagine what other brokers are leaking.

I hope that is a fair assessment to come to the conclusion that every broker sells customer info for money.

And it doesn’t stop there. If i give my number anywhere for e.g. shopping sites/shop/donations. I have the same issue. I get calls.

Every transaction you do online or offline that asks for your number , you are screwed.

Some people even know my birthday and call me to wish and sell me a credit card or take loan.

Point is there is no escaping this, unless TRAI or govt steps in and makes stringent laws and more importantly enforces them.

1 Like

I opened my account zerodha in 2011-2012 , i never got calls all these years.

I did not open any account with any brokerage in recent years and i get calls and sms nowadays.

Thanks, will send all the numbers to the mentioned email id.

Goal post changed…:slight_smile:

I simply asked from which of my sentence you concluded I am talking about closing all of my Demat account. Except answering that you said everything else.

And I don’t want to assume and conclude anything, I just stated my observation based on FACTS I have, such as my call records to prove incoming calls from Indore numbers, my account opening date with Zerodha and the talk I have with couple of the callers and the reason I didn’t share my number with anyone else during that time frame.

@humans

I have not changed any goal post.

I have also stated facts based on my observations.

Also, why is it that only a few select customers are getting calls and sms?

Why not everyone here?

Since you like to state facts & observations, should you not collect all the facts / data before making allegations?.

Scalpert… their free trading portal…

Goal post definitely changed, otherwise show the sentence from which you concluded I am closing all my demat accounts? Because that was your observation in your first reply to my message.

I would love to collect more data apart from my own, but would you or zerodha be ready to pay for this data collection exercise? If not, than I will keep mine and you keep yours and enjoy. Bye.

You said “facts based on my observation”, not on any concrete evidence…if you still believe Zerodha has done this…go ahead…all the best…

My Demat account opening date is a fact, my incoming call records, after account opening, from Indore location is a fact, my incoming calls before opening the account and never receiving such calls is a fact. I am only saying if Zerodha is not doing this, even than someone from their downstream channel is leaking this information. And because I provided the information to Zerodha only, I will say it is their responsibility to ensure their customer information won’t get leaked at any stage of business. And I don’t believe stating this is any kind of abuse towards anyone. Rest depends on individual’s thinking.

I m reciving many calls from different financial firms . For tips fabout share market . I m geting calls since i opend my account in zerodha . I want to block those calls . So please provide the proper solution for that .