Does zerodha sell information of its customers?

Follow these steps - fightstocktips.zerodha.com/

1 Like

Just ‘Switch Off Your Mobile’

No other solutions (Like NSE Complaint, SEBI Complaint blah blah blah) will work except the above.

Just for Fun.

So after 10-15 of these pesky calls from different numbers everyday, I forced the caller to tell me how he got my number. He accepted that he got it from “his” website - moneycontrol.com. Even though these calls started roughly after I started my Zerodha account, I also created my moneycontrol account a few days before that. So I don’t think Zerodha is to blame here (my opinion, I don’t have any evidence for or against). But moneycontrol is definitely the culprit.

I have raised a ticket with moneycontrol but no response yet. Also, reporting the numbers to the DND complain form on your mobile provider’s page might get them disconnected but they just try with a new number.

My experience : i am on money control since last over 10 years and has a verified email id and mobile number and in this long period only once got a phone call from a very leading brokerage house perhaps biggest in India seeking an appointment which i politely declined.never ever received any phone calls later and rarely get sms to deal in shares may be once or twice in a year.

Maybe they are doing this for people who have newly signed up. In any case, the guy accepted it was moneycontrol.

Yes, they do that.

I had been trading with Kotak for 2 years and never received any spam calls.
Recently, I switched to Zerodha and spam calls started pouring in. The same thing happened with my brother later and my colleagues.

I read through Zerodha’s Privacy Policy and there they have statements like,

We collect Personal Information from you only when you voluntarily submit for purposes including but not limited to a) sales and account opening queries b) account opening c) partnership / association enquiries, and others.

Well obviously they’re calling selling data as ‘partnership’.

I was getting the calls even when I didn’t have account with zerodha … recently I asked the guy ‘who gave you my number?’ … he said that whoever registers for a demat account, his number gets stored in a database with exchange … ‘we have access to the information from exchange’ …

so I think it’s the exchanges who are providing the numbers to these guys

No, we don’t. We’ve even raised this issue with the regulators. You can follow these steps to report these calls

Okay. Can you share the link of any page that describes the ‘partnership / association enquiries’? I’m curious to see.

Why just Zerodha? There are many others in the system

Why zerodha is selling customer information. It’s really bad, I am 1000% sure that someone from zerodha has sold my information. I am an active user, I was using different number, once I changed to my new number, another day tip providers started calling me, how why

@nithin @nikhil27 . Now don’t start with may be. Please answer it genuinely

Hmmm… we don’t sell any customer information. The leak is happening someplace else. There are KRAs, Depositories, and exchanges, all have your contact details. Not saying anyone doing this intentionally, but it is not us.

I’m not sure why some people do not understand things from a broader perspective while some do.

Nithin has been assiduously building a sustainable organization in a field he is dedicated to and expert at. In the process - as an outcome - he’s become a rich man. I’m sure he loves money but that wouldn’t have been the first motive when he started to resolve a problem that has wide reach and repercussions.

Believe me, the marginal utility of money drops very fast after reaching a threshold value. So, after being a multi billionaire, with 100% stake in the company more or less, he/ his team would start selling phone numbers?

How much is a phone number worth, if at all? 10 paisa? How many customers Zerodha has? So, the money he/ the company gets by selling a phone number is minuscule in comparison to his wealth. But the more important point is, is the money worth the reputation loss he would incur? Absolutely makes no business case. Even if we assume he is a hard core capitalist with no regard to ethics and integrity, this doesn’t makes sense.

But, for some companies who are in this field for short term money, fly by night operators, make hay while sin shines type - Yes, they will sell every sale-able data of a customer.

Disclosure: Well, the rant may sound like sycophantic or coming from a company employee etc. But am just a small time zerodha customer who opened an account just to have a relationship with the company. I certainly did not notice my number being sold when I opened the account (anecdotal evidence).

You have same number registered with bank too?

I am just speculating here…
But banks have the details of money moved in and out of your bank account into Demat and the process to scan bank statements to find this can be automated (the entry in stmt usually mentions brokers name).

So in addition to other point of leaks, a bank employee selling customer’s data is also a possibility.

yes I do have registered my number with bank for years now. I don’t get any calls, though, only after I registered with zerodha I started getting Tipp provider calls.

Looks like you’re being paid by zeodha to defend. Don’t be bias, none of your words prove that they are not doing it , and until now there is no evidence.

1. Maybe open another account with another broker and place couple of trades, check for couple of months if you get a call from tip providers or not.

2. Zerodha net profit was 3000 crores last year, likely it will be more this year. Money in selling client list to multiple vendors would be maybe max 10 to 20 lakhs. Seems not a good deal for them to sell client list.

Bhai, Cmon. Don’t you know that when you update your number with the broker, broker inturn updates the number with NSE,BSE. NSE BSE keep spamming you with multiple SMSes every other day. I’m assuming they will use a vendor to send out SMS. So any of them could be a possible leak source

This doesn’t necessarily imply that Zerodha is responsible. Various parties could be involved, including someone within your own family disclosing information for some cash backs.
Essentially, it could be anyone, including Zerodha employees or others. We can’t pinpoint it with certainty.
I’ve had a Zerodha account for seven years, and until last year, I never received such calls. However, after opening an AngelOne account last year to test their platform, I now receive at least four calls daily. This would mean either all brokers engage in this behavior or the leakage of information originates elsewhere.

Nope… none of my words were to defend Zerodha, I just mentioned another possible point of leak. Nothing else…