How does the latest SEBI circular about margin requirements affect me?

@TeamZerodha @nithin

Can you please clarify whether GST is payable on “margin shortfall penalty”?

Yeah it is.

I am new to trading - Will this affect Equity Intraday Traders

Same situation here bro.
Having a tuff time coming up with the margin amount even though my trades are profitable

sold Bajfinance far OTM on 20st April expiry 4 lots. I was having 4.5L in account on 28th expiry. 30th April is the expiry. 29th April I received margin call mail from zerodha for 455% usage, I immediately closed all the calls in profit on 29th April. Now they have charged penalty of 1060rs for margin shortfall on 28th April. But my ledger doesn’t show any margin shortfall nor does my account or neither I received any intimation from zerodha for margin call on 28th April. So I carry forwarded the position on 29th April. But now I Have penalty. Is the mistake from my side or zerodha side? As it’s their duty to intimate the margin shortfall on 28th April right? Bcz of them I had to pay penalty. So I asked them to revert the penalty but they are refusing to do it.

Can you provide ticket number?

1 Like

[Ticket #20200511476811]- Zerodha Helpdesk

Any updates?

As ur customer care executives are just pasting watevr it is available in website and whoever speaks over phone just say that backend team is working and we can’t do anything…

This was noted in ur Website which was also not informed to me thru mail. How are v supposed to check all ur pages everyday for information?

1 Like

100% margin is required only on 29 and 30th April. When market was closing on 28th April there was positive balance in market and even my ledger shows positive balance. But margin statement on next day shows margin shortfall of 89000rs. Why was I not intimated abt margin shortfall during market hours? Why the account didn’t show any change about this margin shortfall… nobody is answering properly…

@siva @nithin

Normally kite will show required margins during market hours so one need to check on kite itself, broker can’t inform to every client for shortfall during the markets, client should take care of their positions.
If it is not shown on kite before 3.30 then I am guessing margin might have increased after 3.30.
Margin is based on span, exchange publishes span 5 different times during the day and 3 times during market hours and last span file during markets would be around 2.30 and we upload this also. Sometimes if there is too much volatility after 2.30 there is a chance next span file might have increase in margin and exchange blocks according to that. There is no way for us to show that before 3.30, this might have caused increase in margin is what I am assuming but not sure,I will ask team to check what has happened and reply to ticket.

If there is no way for u to check this increase in margin then how am I supposed to check?

Whatever the mistake is, the final price is paid by me or took from my account!

Till 3.30 there was no margin shortfall in my account.

isn’t this a margin call?

if so , positions should have been closed by RMS team or am i missing something here?.

There is no response from the team after that Siva sir.

I believe you got reply via ticket, I confirmed with the team also.

They also replied the same thing that margin might reduce or increase post market hours. Okay. But my question is not resolved yet! If there is a increase in margin post market hours I could have been informed so that I could have added the required margin right? Why I was not informed?

If there is no way for your team to check it and inform me, should I keep seeing my account for the potential margin shortage even after the market closing?

This is a mistake from RMS team or watevr the team name is. Why should I pay for their mistake?

The job is to protect the clients from potential problems like rhis. Isn’t so?

1 Like

How do I find this shortfall of margin from my side after the market?

I don’t know how I can see this margin shortfall from ledger.
How can I avoid this penalty by checking it manually. Which time I have to check this?

Can u explain?

It is no one’s mistake but these kind of rare instances can happen. It is up to the user only.

Exactly From When This New Rule for Margin will be applicable? please guide…

It is mentioned multiple times on this thread, it is from june 1st 2020.

How to check this manually daily? Explain me… I ll do it from my side daily…