How to make advance tax payment?

The due date to pay your 2nd advance tax instalment is just round the corner and you must pay it to avoid interest penalties.

See, most of us think — “ why pay our taxes now when we can do it at the time of filing the ITR, all in one go.” You can do that, but it gives rise to two problems.

One, the lumpsum amount may be large making it difficult for you to arrange the funds and, two interest at the rate of 1% per month will accumulate on the unpaid amount. So at the year-end, you end up paying more taxes than you were actually liable for. Hence, better to pay off your taxes as and when you earn your income.

For this quarter, you need to pay at least 45% of your total tax liability by 15th September 2024.

How to make the advance tax payment?

1. Log in to the e-filing portal.
  2. Navigate to e-file > e-pay tax.
  3. Click on ‘New payment’.
  4. Select the ‘Income tax’ category.
  5. Enter the relevant assessment year (for FY 2024-25, AY 2025-26 needs to be selected) and select the type of payment as ‘advance tax (100)’
  6. Click on continue, enter the tax amount and make the payment.

Once the payment is successful, you’ll be able to download the challan. Moreover, this tax payment will be also reflected in your AIS within a week or two.

We’ve covered more details in this Video: Calculate and pay advance tax

If you have any questions related to advance taxes, you can ask them in this thread.

2 Likes

@Quicko

if i sell some of my MF units after march 15th,say on 17 or18th of march. Will there be any advance tax for it?

Hey @trader_dude

Advance Tax on capital gains is to be paid when the gains are realised and not on estimated basis. Thus, if you sell any MF post 15th march but before 31st march and earn capital gains, you need to pay advance tax on or before 31st march. In that case, there will be no interest penalty. Else, interest at 1% per month will be levied starting from March till the date you pay the tax.

Thank you.

1 Like

What if I am in loss the whole FY & made taxable profit in MARCH.
Would I still be charged interest?

I pay ADVANCE TAX now.
But end the year in loss.
Refund timeline & process

Hi @Quicko ,

What will be the tax rate for advance tax calculation on LTCG realised on unlisted shares by NRI ?
The transaction was done in May 2024.
Please let me know.

Thanks,
Praveen

yeah, govt expects you to magically know what will you make in entire year and pay tax in advance on that. Even for ‘speculative’ trading income.

So realistically, i always have to pay interest.
All i can do is pay tax on what i have made so far minus some fraction of estimated potential drawdawn. Else you might pay too much tax and no interest paid by govt within FY and even after that they pay half the rate they take.

In so many ways, they just keep adding multiple small % over slab rates.

RIP Govt Logic

So advance tax arises only on F&O and Speculative Business Income only and not on STCG and LTCG. Is this understanding correct ?

Hi @dtyxg,

Other than capital gains, on all other incomes you are liable to estimate your total income for the entire year and pay the taxes accordingly.

In case you pay more taxes than you are liable for, you can claim a refund at the time of filing the ITR. Once your ITR gets processed, you receive the refund.

Hi @praveeny1986,

As the transaction occurred before 23rd July 2024, the applicable tax rate on LTCG from unlisted shares will be 20%.

Hi @Stonecold,

Advance tax is payable on all types of incomes. However while on other incomes you have to ‘estimate’ the total earnings for the entire FY and pay the tax, for capital gains you can pay tax in the quarter based on when you realise the gains.