I placed a stop loss order which got executed, but I don't see my stop loss price on any charts be it on NEST, NSE, Amibroker or any other chart?

This is one of the most ridiculous things I keep hearing. I had recently answered this on our reddit AMA thread. Copy pasting it here.

Do you guys think stop loss hunting is real thing? How would you guy prevent it from happening considering the huge amount of traffic on zerodha?

*Nithin: *

Firstly to know where what orders are placed, you can just subscribe to tick by tick (TBT) data feed from the exchange. Check this.

Stoploss hunting means, someone would have to move the market enough to get to the stoploss and then get the market to reverse somehow. Over 80% of all trading today happens in Nifty/Banknifty, I don’t think anyone can just move around Nifty/Banknifty even if someone figured the stoploss. On Individual stocks too, most trading is concentrated in a bunch of stocks with very high liquidity where it would be really tough. If on illiquid stocks someone can control movement of stocks up and down, he must be like an operator. Where, what orders are placed is available on TBT feeds. There are many such conspiracy theories, mostly by people who don’t want to accept trading losses.

A retail trader who can trade small position has huge leverage of being able to get in and out of a trade anytime. While those trade big positions (usually the people to whom these conspiracy theories are directed to) can’t, imagine you are in a trade and can’t get out because there isn’t enough liquidity.

@Rajiv_Chongtham This is certainly a novice way of mindset, who blame for any misfortunes in their trades.

Ask yourself, do you think the broker or Zerodha might be/should be interested in taking your 200-1000 qtys?

Unless, you are a market maker who moves and gives liquidity to the market, your stop loss is out of question. The point you place your stoploss doesnt really matter to the market.

I Agree it might not dispaly the tick by tick data…But when market deapth was showing High and Low but why chart unable to show it ?
At least on daily candle ?

That comes directly from exchange, where as candles are formed from ticks captured by broker servers.

EOD we will sync daily candles with bhavcopy ie OHLC provided by exchange.

haha. end of the day we cannont tick by tick data. Contact exchange is what you’ll hear.

@nithin , but there are still some issues. All brokers aren’t showing the same price as top or bottom. Even in NIFTY the last ATH shown in zerodha kite chart doesn’t match with that of another broker. I didn’t bother to check whose price was right, but at least print the correct price at ATH even if you have to rectify it manually, else people will lose confidence on your chart altogether.

On a daily chart All time high (ATH) will match because end of day we reconcile the daily OHLC using exchange Bhav copy. But on a min/hourly chart, the ATH will show only based on the price that we have captured from the ticks we have received, if we haven’t received those ticks, it wont’ show up on the chart.

As a No1 broker in India why does zerodha doesn’t invest in providing tick by tick data?

1 Like

@nithin, chart not displaying all ticks is understandable…but what could be the root cause for these sudden price spikes around SL orders which could not sustain long enough to even create sufficient price ticks to record in charts?

Not possible to provide tick by tick data via internet, leased lines are required.

Nothing special about sl but logically people tend to keep sl around support or resistance levels, so around that levels we can notice sudden jump, as many will have sl or entry at those levels and everyone is aware of those levels we sometimes notice something called stoploss hunting, means price will break that level and clean up all stoplosses and will revert without continuing trend, retailers should be aware of this, experience should teach that.

Is it legal(stoploss hunting)

That is one strategy, nothing wrong in it.

@siva, dont take me wrong but you are contradicting Nitin’s earlier reply on stoploss hunting…as below…:slight_smile:

@nithin
This is one of the most ridiculous things I keep hearing. I had recently answered this on our reddit AMA thread. Copy pasting it here.

Do you guys think stop loss hunting is real thing? How would you guy prevent it from happening considering the huge amount of traffic on zerodha?

*Nithin: *

Firstly to know where what orders are placed, you can just subscribe to tick by tick (TBT) data feed from the exchange. Check this .

Stoploss hunting means, someone would have to move the market enough to get to the stoploss and then get the market to reverse somehow. Over 80% of all trading today happens in Nifty/Banknifty, I don’t think anyone can just move around Nifty/Banknifty even if someone figured the stoploss. On Individual stocks too, most trading is concentrated in a bunch of stocks with very high liquidity where it would be really tough. If on illiquid stocks someone can control movement of stocks up and down, he must be like an operator. Where, what orders are placed is available on TBT feeds. There are many such conspiracy theories, mostly by people who don’t want to accept trading losses.

A retail trader who can trade small position has huge leverage of being able to get in and out of a trade anytime. While those trade big positions (usually the people to whom these conspiracy theories are directed to) can’t, imagine you are in a trade and can’t get out because there isn’t enough liquidity.

The sudden spikes which aren’t typically captured on charts are usually large market orders. So lower the liquidity in a scrip, higher the chances of a tick not getting captured on the chart.

This being around SL orders is your hindsight bias. It keeps happening all the time, you’d remember only when your pending order (entry or SL) got triggered.

No, there isn’t anything called stoploss hunting.

Let me speak to @siva on why he is talking about it :slight_smile:

@Nilesh_Nayak thanks for pointing out.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation…Nitin!! Yes, Even I suspected the same. Traders need to consider this scenario while designing their strategy.

The stoploss hunting @siva mentioned is different from the stoploss hunting being discussed here, @siva is talking about a high probability trading strategy that is based on the assumption of what price point a huge number of retail traders place their stoploss. You can learn about this strategy from YouTube and other sources, however it’s not at all an unethical practice, it is just another strategy like OHL ORB etc.

This is ridiculous explanation from Zerodha… If that is the case then why target order is not executed in the same way? I see all the time SL price trigger well before the actual price. I didnt see this problem with other brokers… I think definitely something fishy about Zerodha’s strategy in hunting retail traders hard earned money… Simply not happy with Zerodha and will switch to other broker