New feature - Account value curve on Console

Small corrections in your calculation. You’ve missed taking the right value of pledged holdings and balance as per your funds statement.

Account Value = Closing Cash Balance as per the Funds Statement + Margins Blocked + Holdings Value + Pledged Holdings Value + Long Options Value - Short Options Premium

= -8,00,000 + 9,00,000 + 0 + 12,00,000 + 1,50,000 - 2,50,000
= 12,00,000

Here,

1. The cash balance will be -8 Lakhs. Since you had no cash in your account, the ledger will be showing a margin debit of 9L, and F&O obligation credit of 1L (net of short options premium credit of 2.5L and long options premium paid of 1.5L). This brings your cash balance to -8L. Remember that the complete margin requirement is blocked on the Funds Statement. Collateral is not part of the funds statement and the benefit of collateral is given at the time of reporting the margins to the exchange.

2. Margin blocked on the ledger is 9L that will be released once you close the open positions. So you add the value of margins blocked on your ledger

3. There’s no free equity holding value. Since everything is pledged, it’ll be added to the pledged holdings value.

4. The pledged holding value is 12L. This is what you’ll get if you unpledge the stocks and sell them.

5. Long option value is 1.5L that’ll get added to you if you square off the position.

6. Short option value is -2.5L that you’ll have to pay to buy back the options and close the open short position.

1 Like

Now, it makes complete sense to me. thanks for the detailed explanation.

there are two other small questions which i wanted to get clarified.

can i consider the circled amount to be the cash in my account if there are no F& O positions ?
in the above figure it shows haircut as 8,53,660.78. can u please explain what exactly it means ? and why is the collateral marign is being shown zero ?

one request i want to make is please report a value of Holdings + cash available in the account (without considering F&0). why i request this is, my father also keeps checking the accounts and it becomes very difficult to convince him about the mathematics as it is not shown directly.

@Nakul ??

see the account value, 3 lakh drop just because i took extra positions in market today!
@Nakul this just gives heart attack for few seconds. please do something regarding it.

@Ratna_sai_kosuru I guess you were checking the account value when we were running our end of day processes in the backend yesterday. You can check your account now. This would have got updated to the correct value by 2AM. Do check your account now. There should be no big differences.

2 Likes

The new feature would prove to be useful in effectively tracking the historical account value, thereby giving a clear indication about your performance as a trader.

@Nakul is there a way by which I can see my account value for a date earlier than a year for e.g- 1st Jan 2020?

This is very neat, Nithin. Thanks so much. Would you be able to add an option to download the account value data, and for a longer period (account lifetime if possible) sometime in future?

We are working on extending this to offer an equity value curve, that is a daily NAV of your account similar to how MF’s declare it at a fund level.

@TheGouda can we check if we can allow to download the current account value curve and for longer?

We’ll work on giving an option to download the account value curve. A large amount of data churning happens to support the account value curve. So, extending this for a longer period is a difficult task, we’ll look into the possibilities.

Hey team! Is there an update? I would also like to download the daily account value of my portfolio.

We’ve recently updated the Console dashboard with the account value curve for last 3 years and also Portfolio Timeline powered by @Tijori_Finance . We’ll explore the possibilities of downloading the curve in the upcoming updates.

2 Likes

That’s be very helpful. Tracking the daily change in portfolio could be useful in calculating the Alpha and Beta of the portfolio vis-a-vis Nifty!

That would be really interesting to see on Console I don’t think any other broker does this Yet