New margin framework - sample calculations

Hey @siva and @MohammedFaisal could you please update the required margin for an example butterfly strategy too? Thanks.

You can test it on the margin calculator page. The margins are according to the new framework that goes live on Monday.

You can check this on the margin calculator.

While SOMC is nil and exposure is lower, for straddles and strangles, the SPAN margins have gone up due to the PSR range has broadened from 3 sigma to 6 sigma. Hence, you wont get the same benefit, you get with an iron condor or a butterfly.

Yes, got it. Thank you very much!! Just one more doubt, So, can we trade as per these margins on Zerodha from Monday even though we donā€™t have Basket Orders? WE would need execute buy options first and then sell options right?

Yes, this will be applicable from Monday.

Thatā€™s right.

1 Like

@MohammedFaisal @siva i am using sensibull so if i put all order at one tick from sensibull so is it going to work for hedge margin benefits?

Margin calculator - weeklys not yet added.
Baskets - In max how many days will you release this new feature.

Once we add baskets then no need to add weekly on calculator as margins can be soon for portfolio on spread orders itself, this can take few more weeks.

Doubt on New margin, Since now with hedged position margin is less, My doubt, is will margin be less only for a difference of 2 or 3 strike price or will it be any strike price difference?
Say I sell 9200 and buy 8000 (both calls) I understand that the margin will be close to 25k
What if I sell 9200 and buy 8200(both Calls), is it the same?

Margin will more or less be the same. You can play around with margin calculator and try different variations yourself.

1 Like

I sell a call option 9600 of 25 June and buy call option 9700 of 11 june . Again on 11 june rollover the position and buy 25 june 9700 option.

This strategy is eligible for reduced margin ?

Please clarify.

1 Like

You are eligible for benefit as far as your short position is hedged,

what about mis margin in option hedging? or it will be given only for naked positions? @nithin @siva

whatever margin you will require for NRML order type you will need only 40% of that while using MIS order type.

If you are right on range of the week naked sell is still a good shot

Just buy 1-2 rs option to use margin benefit.
Simple!

2 Likes

When will be bracket orders be re activated?

Will there be margin benefit for calendar spreads where weekly contracts are sold and hedged by buying monthly contracts.

Already answered hereā€¦ New margin framework is here - to benefit hedged positions