No more LTCG benefit for debt/gold/international funds/Fund of funds

Macro Events Simplified for traders.

Last week’s macro event and its effect on market… have a look
https://youtu.be/RRjtr3TuQKY

This is very devastating move for me personally also such important clause not announced in budget and added in amendments and passed without any discussions,feels treacherous.

Now we have just 1 week window to park the funds and don’t touch it till eternity to get the indexation benefit.

You mean 3 years?

1 Like

No , indefinitely. If I sell ,I don’t get indexation benefit (inflation reduction in return).

This is working capital of my business .

example of indexation benefit. “Indexation is an advantage in which if your fund generates 8% return over 3 years and inflation in the same period was 6%, you pay a 20% tax on the difference 8-6 = 2%. So a total tax of 2*20% = 0.4% making your post tax at 8-0.4 = 7.6%,” he tweeted.

Read more at:

1 Like

Units purchased before April 1st can be sold with indexation benefit. There is no indefinite, there is no difference between long term and short term from April 1st.

the yield of new bonds, debt funds, sgb etc has to go up post apr01 to compensate for the LTCG benefit that is getting withdrawn.

else it wont entice new investors to move to debt.

personally i beleive hybrid mutual funds may score over pure debt.

but the markets are near highs and valuations arent cheap. so it could also stop people from taking fresh investments too.

1 Like

before 31st if the demand for bonds increases bcos ppl want to benefit by locking indexation, then next week bond prices may spike. Acquisition cost will be higher than expected.

Yeah , i meant the same . maybe i will sell after 40-50 years to get indexation benefit and sell at 20% LTGC

By then, indexation benefit for all debt funds even if they were purchased in 20th century could be removed :grin:

Given judicial precedents, in the context of computation of capital gains arising on transfer of depreciable assets covered under section 50 of the Income Tax Act, wherein the benefit of LTCG rate and roll over exemption benefits on such instruments was allowed by the Courts, the new provision may lead to litigation ."

Read more at:

2 Likes

Rules can always be changed, hope they help us :+1:

Ya they can be changed( Our FM has history of changing rule retrospectively then looses in supreme court or international courts) , any ways our govt treat us( upper middle class White money earning tax paying 2-4% folks in our country) like Adopted children ,they give FII so many benefits( 0 tax because of DTAA), GIFT city for FIIs 0 tax blah blah, for us Stringent LRS,TCS ,License . Rest of the country enjoys free food , farmers gets tax exemptions etc. Not much increase in tax base.

No wonder people move to Dubai and NRIs outflux is All time high :pensive:

3 Likes

Poor people getting free food ( efficiently and hopefully with plan to reduce need in long term ) is alright with me and i am ok to pay more tax for it. ofc, everyone should including rich farmers etc and that never happens.

In the long run, really any decent country should be able to support some baseline basic quality of life for all - food/health/education etc. Absolutely hate looking at poor children in Mumbai. Instead of that people look for narrow self interests ( Maratha Reservation !, super rich paying v low effective tax vs net worth change etc etc ) and some of us end up getting squeezed. Until we get out i guess …

I too not against Free food , my point is only people who follow all the rules , doesn’t have leeway to evade taxes are getting bombarded with more taxes rather than govt working to increase more tax base. Govt should increase more indirect tax so that every one is paying( I am ok with increase in GST other indirect taxes etc). 80-90% of business are informal deals in cash transaction. Hyper rich forms companies outside India to save tax. Only people left are Salaries or Cashless businesses people in highest tax bracket who doesn’t have any tax efficient scheme left :pensive:

2 Likes

Yeah man agree with it more or less and everyone knows this but nothing will happen. People look at only their immediate self interests as usual, taxation as well as in other things. In spite of being almost a decade in power with majority, politicians are still doing the same thing.

govt should cut down the expenditure. most of the funds for election campaign and horse :horse: trading scheme to buy out MLAs MPs via public money

1 Like

You know all of these things a week ago too, these are not to new to you.

And you can very well make more than what will be lost in the form of tax, you know that. Cheer up :+1:

Any idea how NPS Tier 2 normal account withdrawals will be taxed now? @Quicko your opinion please.

Must read

This is what the rationale was given by finance ministry when asked about this move

https://twitter.com/NagpalManoj/status/1639850945574993921?t=I59_EsTswIUsu-1_bIBb3Q&s=19

View by Nilesh shah

https://twitter.com/NileshShah68/status/1639501803229442049?t=IRlxkfsx_dly968YymHtdw&s=19