Now see margin requirements on the Kite order window

I feel that the margin required should take only the current order i.e. the fresh order that the trader is taking to avoid confusion, it gets complicated when existing positions are taken into account for calculating margin required for a fresh position. Also beside the margin required, the available funds at that point should be shown, so the trader knows if the trade can be taken or not

How? it will help traders right.

This will be considered as feedback.

1 Like

Pardon me sir. I am not trolling you or anything. But it feels as if “arts” student has somehow eneterd a “science” class and is confused seeing all the symbols and formlae. So he interrupts a class and say, " Sir, I think you have not properly drawn a symbol of “Integration”. And then urge maths teacer to practice drawing and arts to properly teach the subject.

The whole" point of all this changes is this only. Margins to be blocked as per the existing portfolio. Earlier such "margin benefits " were not that significant enough to take notice. But after new regime these are substantial to affect RoI, trading style, adjustments etc etc.
Hence all this efforts by zerodha and so much of excitement amongst traders.

@siva

On “Modify order”, i wont get to see margin by default, unless i press the refresh biutton.Screenshot_2020-06-11_13-23-13

I have a position on a far OTM PE, 26000 is the correct margin, but the api response keep changing if i keep pressing refresh button. i get 106742 sometimes. Not reproducible. may be one of the servers have old code.

This is known thing, one need to refresh if one changes price or quantity.

Not able to reproduce this, can you create ticket here with your positions screenshot at that time? and message me number.

Yes but that’ll be as long as you’re holding the MIS position.

@siva
Congratulations and heartiest thank you for this new feature. But I am unable to use it properly.
For example I have 10 lakh in my account and I want to calculate how many ICs I can get for 10 lakhs margin. As you know currently we need to put in the spreads leg by leg. So I need to put in buy leg first. Now as you can tell this new feature is useless (as of now) in such case. How many lots should I put in the order window for a given IC spread that I want to enter? No way to know that.

So I quietly go to old margins calculator page and calculate the lots I can enter for margin I have. (This margin calculator has its own difficulties to operate)
Now after I know the no of lots I can enter, I need not even look at the margins field in order window.

I think this feature will be helpful only when we get basket order window where in we can put in all the 4 orders and when click refresh we get the margins required.

So this bring forth the new question - When are we going to get “basket orders”

@siva I also urge you guys to update and overhaul the obsolate margin calculator page as well. The main complaint I have is that this page has no facility to adjust strikes and quantity once you have entered the legs. One need to reset everything if want to adjust something.
Now one do not put in the spread directly without thinking or research. Anybody will try to create various spreads using permutations and combinations of various strikes and expiries and quantities.
Suppose I have enetered the spread 200 strike wide and now want to see margins for spread 300 strikes wide. I need to reset everything and eneter again. This is very hectic.

It will e very helpful if we have a drop down menu for strike, quantities, CE/PE. Sell/Buy, expiry etc. So one can just adjust the figures and click refresh to see new margin calculations.
@nithin

Sorry for bad paintbrush Job

1 Like

The pain point here is showing margins correctly, now believing that is solved adding spreads and baskets is no big deal, margins took long time as it is not easy thing to do. Said that we are working on baskets, should be out in few weeks.

3 Likes

We may not put any resources on margin calculator, no point after having margins on kite itself. As said we are working on baskets/spreads, once they are live one can do any type of permutation and combinations on kite itself.

2 Likes

no, you don’t! you can just remove that leg and enter new one that you want to check.

you’ve to click on this small “x” to remove that leg. Don’t reset everything.

Hey @siva some issues with margin calculations?

Okey, I was about to take a SS of the page and post here but issues has been resolved automatically.

Issue was that suddenly my margin available was reported to be in negative 2 lakhs and I started receiving Margin Call SMS from zerodha.

Can you throw some light?

You tried to close any positions? placed limit exit or sl orders?

Yes one SL order was there. But that was for existing short position.
I think I received SMS as soon as I put in that exit SL order.
But Why?

I do same thing and most of the time not bother to look at the same.
Also it does not take into account the premium which would be received. But still it’s only beta version.

1 Like

That’s how new margin framework works, if you try to exit/put a sl margin benefit will go and you will receive a margin shortfall message provided one don’t have enough margin, because if that is executed your portfolio is not hedged completely.