NSE chief bats for Longer trading hours

our markets are somewhat correlated to what happens outside particularly US markets. Nifty is influenced by what happens outside. Also remember SGX has nifty futures too. As a matter of fact what happens in evening in SGX nifty gets reflected next day in NSE! You might have heard traders say , its better to look SGX nifty the previous day before market open to know the overall trend!

Agreed. Iā€™ve been wanting extended index futures trading for years now and really hope that this time it is implemented.

1 Like

Can you or someone please explain how can Futures be traded if the cash market is not trading? Future prices are dependent on the cash price. What if at the close of Future trading the price of Future is 50% away from the closing of the cash price due to liquidity issues or any other reason? Now, what will happen to the cash price when both will open to trade at the same time?

Doubt is the same - how the index futures prices can be decided when the cash market is closed for trading.

Donā€™t change the timing.
What required is
Remove pre-market
Remove Circuit limitsā€¦let a stock go up/down 1000%

These Armchair advisers donā€™t have any other job!! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Isnā€™t the futures price a speculated price? Why does it need to have a spot price to reflect that?

India not sleeping anyway
And after exetnd to 11 eventually we will go forward to 24/7

Why not 1step ahead and go for 24/7

The same way SGX Nifty trades.
Or any of the global equity indices futures trade even when the cash market is closed.

Really :thinking: Then we are looking at a really unhealthy nation going forward.

Sleep is a health priority for me. Also the key to a healthy and happy trading life is systematic trading and automation.

I know but I wanted to know if there is any formula to calculate the price of Futures when equity markets are closed.

For example spot price of Nifty as of now, while typing on Monday, 26-Dec-22 is 17,956.45.
The price of NIFTY Index Futures of 29-DEC-2022 expiry is 17,988.25 (LTP). Saw this at the same time with a few seconds difference. See how they are closely related.

Now assume in India they allow NIFTY Index Futures to be traded 24/7 w.e.f Monday, 26-Dec-22 (today).

Now letā€™s assume itā€™s 3.30 pm on Monday, 26-Dec-22 and the above prices are almost the same for both.

The nifty spot (ETF) is now closed for trading.

However, NIFTY Index Futures is still trading. At 8 pm good news has come. Nifty index futures go to 17,988 + 5% = 18,887.40. Spot Nifty is not being traded and remains at 17,956.45.

What will happen on Tuesday, 27-Dec-22 at 9.15 am when Nifty spot will open for trading? The NSE spot price depends on a formula taken from the prices of all 50 stocks in the Nifty.

No one will buy stocks looking at the price of Nifty Futures. We are talking about 50 stocks.

An experienced person will have by now understood what I am asking.

You cannot have Nifty Index Futures trading at 18,887.40 and Nifty cash trading at 17,956.45. This is an amazing arbitrage opportunity that SEBI will not allow.

And of course, you cannot force the Index future to shoot down to match the Nifty spot price at 9.15 am the next day. No one will trade Index futures in that case. There has to be some formulae to control the Indexā€™s futures price to remain near the spot price when the spot price is not trading.

I want to know the formulae.

Most likely the spot index will open higher by around 5%.

In this tech first world any arbitrage opportunity is cashed out by algos as and when it presents itself. That will happen before the retail can hit the buttons on their trading app.

1 Like

Most likely is an assumption that doesnā€™t work in stock markets :slight_smile:

Markets are not based on science. I said most likely because there is a pre-open session before the regular trading and there can be a slight error to the projected open (based on the futures price).

But, itā€™s very unlikely that the spot index would open at 17950 when the near month futures are trading 5% higher.

Yes, that looks like what exactly happens. I am personally against futures being traded when the spot markets are closed. It becomes 100% speculative.

Futures are meant to be a hedging mechanism, but regulators allow speculative transactions as it leads to better liquidity and price discovery.

If thereā€™s an adverse news post market closing, you could short futures contracts because you expect the underlying prices to fall. If thereā€™s a positive news, youā€™d want to go long because you expect the underlying prices to rise.

At the end of the day, itā€™s a contract which gives you the right and obligation to buy a certain asset at a certain price at a certain date.

2 Likes

I am feeling this 24 hours is also too short for trading, we need more time to trade. We need to create them new hours to trade.

This speculation is what people want. :rofl:

1 Like

Pls read about the pre market open session order matching processā€¦ https://www.nseindia.com/products-services/equity-market-pre-open

2 Likes

I read many a times your post to understand what you are saying.

Assuming, when the Nifty Futures gaps up 5% for the trading day; Nifty Spot also would adjust accordingly. Also, the 50 stocks by which Nifty is made up would be gap up accordingly. Since only Nifty Futures can be traded (Nifty Spot cannot be traded) there should not be any issue here. This is the way SGX Nifty Futures is traded till now. Please correct me if i am wrong in my understanding.