NSE chief bats for Longer trading hours

Talk in Indian context. HARSHAD MEHTA.
When the country was facing riots after Indira Gandhi’s death, he was loading Petroleum stocks, saying that you need petrol even to burn vehicles.

I don’t think so. I think cure is similar to what they do in alcohol or drug addiction rehab.

Well frankly there should be a trading rehab. It doesn’t matter if market is 24/7 or with current timings. Just chasing every candle for every trading day in a year especially in lower TF 5 mins or less is enough to make anyone insane irrespective of returns because they are always sitting infront of trading screen.

Self control and discipline should come from within not external factors. Just because market is open 52 weeks in a year doesn’t mean we trade all those weeks minute by minute!

2 Likes

Why this topic is raised again and again? Absolute no use. Will Mr.Nithin of Zerodha speak up on the face of this greedy NSE CEO this time comprehensively?

Increased Trading Hours and its Post-Impact on Market

2 Likes

Stock Market trading time extension: What SEBI chief Madhabi Puri Buch said

This trading hour extension is being discussed since year 2017 by top authorities but they could not roll out due to opposition from brokers. But the above article says “this time due to demand from several brokers”. Is this true? Can @nithin please clarify this. Can Zerodha let their customers know about their view on this? Whether they are opposing or supporting this discussion?

I am losing my sleep by sheer mention of extension of trading hours. Sitting for more than 6 hours watching price movement is difficult as you age. I use stop loss for my trades. But cannot move away from laptop for long if the live trading is going on.

That NSE guy could be batting for longer trading hours but our wickets will fall ultimately.

Extended trading hours for stock exchanges is an idea whose time has come

The above is another paid article on Moneycontrol whose headline implies the idea will be implemented this time.

Can @nithin share more details if the discussion is already going on?

Thanks…

Subjective on personal level, there will be ayes and nays.

I for one want it, but I don’t know if it can affect me bad beyond my understanding :face_in_clouds:

1 Like

Even in this article, Singhvi is only asking for extension of the index futures market until 8pm.

Extension of stock market hours doesn’t make sense because the volume is clustered in the opening and closing hours only.

1 Like

Only people who will benefit from extended trading hours are business channels like CNBC, Zee business. After 3.30 they have no content to show so they telecast non sense all day after that. If market is open, they will get some content

4 Likes

Hmm… I don’t think extending trading hours is good for the mental health of traders. But I also get the point of active traders who might feel like traders outside India probably have the edge over them as they get to take action on trades when news items are released outside our market hours.

So yeah, I am confused. Btw this decision will be taken by exchange and SEBI, I don’t think they will involve us in deciding this. :slight_smile: Also, I don’t think anything other than index futures will trade longer hours (like in other markets), that is if it did.

7 Likes

It’s hilarious seeing people reactions here. If you can’t handle longer hours, then don’t trade. It’s a choice, you can always walk away from desk. As for me, if longer hours means higher premiums on expiry day then i am all for it and if not then let it be, there is always a choice.

1 Like

Its not that simple. Metrics change. The natural reaction for many would be to keep monitoring positions, that we otherwise switch off at 3:30 and carry overnight.

Trading is all about fighting your natural reactions anyway. This is no different. Commodities have longer hours anyway. Why should equity be any different.

Was thinking the same thing…only index futures right (like ES, NQ). In that case it’s a non-issue. Even liquidity remains same I think…all the volume in ES comes during regular hours

Commodities are internationally linked for pricing eg. Crude,Gold etc are same in every country, Equity markets are different it has nothing to do with international pricing. So even if Equity market operate same less hours there is no impact except for more orders which will just cater brokers and NSE . As a retail trader , I don’t see any benefit of operating longer hours ! Even currency is taken mid market price around 12:30 for majority of international settlement.

Commodities are internationally linked for pricing eg. Crude,Gold etc are same in every country, Equity markets are different it has nothing to do with international pricing. So even if Equity market operate same less hours there is no impact except for more orders which will just cater brokers and NSE . As a retail trader , I don’t see any benefit of operating longer hours ! Even currency is taken mid market price around 12:30 for majority of international settlement, and traded till 5 pm( so most of the day is kind of price discovery)

You don’t think how european and american markets behave affect the indian markets. We don’t live in an isolated pond. Everything is connected. You can choose to ignore the connection but it is there.

1 Like

Also longer hours can lead to higher volatility and big moves and we traders thrive on that.

I disagree. You don’t think movements in international markets will affect Indian equity market?

Here anyway they’re not talking about extending equity market hours. They’re only thinking of extending the trading hours of the index futures market.

I think you didn’t get my point , I am talking about importance of running commodity round the clock as same instument is traded in others market which create disavantage to indian traders . If any indian stock directly or indirectly traded increase that too , no issues. If its only future than i don’t have any issues, I have issue in extending hours of whole market as there is no advantange. I think NSE chief also mention because SGX fut are traded in Singpore that creates didadvantge in India so if only index future are extended than i don’t have ant issue, options and other Market should not be increased!

1 Like

I am totally with this.

Extension of equity market hours does not make sense, but extension of the index futures market makes sense. This is how it happens in most world markets. The US stock market trades for 6:30 hours but the US index futures market trades for nearly 23 hours a day.

1 Like

i am with you on this. Niftyfutures only extension has more pros for traders than cons.

1 Like