Product updates over the last year at Zerodha

Display and download of day-wise P&L can be done. We’ll take this up.

1 Like

I would request you to please let us know when the new system is taken live. Of course we will automatically get to know when glitches become more frequent but I don’t wanna be the one the receiving end of those.

Hey Team zerodha
Is there any way we can know the live weighted averaged closing of the index?
The reason why I’m asking is because now we have daily expiry and the last friday sensex expiry the market settled at 65,397.62.

The issue faced was even at the last second, the 65400ce was at 11 odd rupees and 65400pe was some 2 rupees. All this because people didnt know the right average.
Usually I trade the last 30 minutes by just seeing any itm option to approximately follow the weighted avg, but even itm strangles on sensex had premiums upto 7 rupees

I left the sold puts thinking it will end at 0 because the calls had sooo much premium, but it went entirely south. The calls expired at 0 and puts expired at 2.38 rupees :sweat_smile: Had to take some unwanted loss there

3 Likes

Actually we are still not sure what happened. Lots of discussion in groups and twitter about what was going on.

Was the weighted average calculated properly or any error. Bse can’t mess that up since this is basic stuff.
Option prices also closed weirdly.
65300 ce and 65400 ce closed at 110 and 11 assuming a 65410 weighted close.
While 65500 pe closed at 97 assuming 65403 weighted close.

And the actual weighted average close was neither of these.

I haven’t seen this stuff on NSE ever. And i would love to have implied future charts on kite. Yes I know sensibull has it but it’s a hassle. Being able to add spot chart and implied futures chart to the same kite watchlist would be great.

This would cover all nse expiries i guess.

Of course, implied futures wasn’t working yesterday on BSE. Implied futures was at 65411 in the last minute.

So in order of priority, I would like to have implied futures charts and if possible weighted average prices in last 30 minutes and to make sure that weighted average price is being calculated according to spot movement and not using option prices(atm+ce-pe).

@nithin @ShubhS9

Did any of you guys notice all this that happened yesterday? (20-10-2023 Friday) and can you please add implied futures.

1 Like

@tradingops_z can you check on this? I remember this being on our list of things to do.

1 Like

@Nithin, along with a live index calculator, please also enable a live margin calculator as well.

This will greatly help overnight traders. Right now, it’s a bit of a guessing game…

1 Like

Yes, this is on our to-do list. We will be able to work on it this quarter.

1 Like

The margin calculator that you see is live. But it is hard to predict what the margins will be post-market closing if that is what you are referring to.

Before May 1, there used to be multiple margin changes, with the last one being at 2 pm. Now, margins are based on BOD, and only update from day to day.

More chances of market making a large move on a day to day basis, than a 90 minute period (2 pm to 3:30 pm), hence more difficult to predict the EOD margin for a overnight/positional trader.

So like you said in this comment, which am again quoting, if there’s a provision for live margin change/update as per the latest SPAN (either on Kite itself or some place else like your margin calculator), we’ll be better equipped to take overnight positions & utilise funds in an optimum manner. Right now, we’re having to leave more funds than earlier. It doesn’t have to be live all the time, even if we get to know the margin for one particular time before market close, say 3 or 3:15 pm, would also be very helpful.

Mechanics of SPAN is way too complex for an ordinary retailer, and can’t be done without the proper software…

@nithin
Any possibility that zerodha will make its api’s free, point in case being each trade has brokerage which will act as rate limitter for not over using the APIs even if they are free…

Or atleast provide free market rates readonly API which can be provided at say 1 min frequency…?

The paid API rates are too high for retail traders to efficiently compete against Instutional Bots and algo and its becoming more and more uneven field.

I see 2 options going forward enable algo trading like features on Kite itself or give control back to traders via free APIs… i prefer the later as this involves no investments from your side and as well let traders customize their algo’s with high degree of flexibility…

2 Likes

I have been casually hinting about APIs whenever the topic comes up for a few years but Nithinji has his reasons :smiley:

Recently, ICICI breeze has up’d competition by providing free api and data but also 0 Brokerage (Free orders) if orders are placed using api.

Btw, i’ve always supported brokerage, low or 0 doesn’t incentivize the business but extremely high API charges are no longer a “deterrent” as it was like 5 years ago.

We are waiting on regulatory clarity around the usage of APIs. Until then, the idea of charging a fee for the API is also to make sure it acts like a qualifier in terms of only the serious folks using it. With the availability of APIs at large now and it being used by many algo platforms today to offer automated trading without any regulatory licenses to people who have no idea about the risks of APIs, I think there is a large risk of regulations that might make APIs restrictive.

Note sure how to respond to that, “Will SEBI adopt or reject the idea of API/Algo based trading ?” No one has answer, the request that i have made is till this decision is out would love to have free access to these API’s…

Now i am not sure why you think we need a qualifier for only serious traders to use them, it has same litigation, loss probabilities if not less as web interface(kite) does nothing different… or i may have not understood the term “Serious Trader” are those quantity traders or experienced traders? either way i dont think distinction makes any sense for API access

API’s enable a new edge for new retail traders where quick decision can be taken to move in and out of position (especially when the Kite UI is really not favourable for making adjustments) and i think putting a hefty price on this will only drive away new retail traders, while you may still keep the big traders but in long run this wont scale for the business…

The more the number of people driving a car without knowing how to, the higher the chances of an accident happening and higher the chances of regulatory action when it happens. APIs are meant to be used by programmers who know what they are doing and not by retail traders who are clueless.

The risk here with free APIs is that many more can start taking the risk of being on random algo platforms and, eventually a large blowout, bringing this entire API business to an end. I don’t think most brokers offering this for free are thinking of long-term risks. As you mentioned, business-wise, we will probably make a lot more money through brokerage fees than API charges if we make it free. But then it wouldn’t be the smart thing to do given all the risks I mentioned earlier.

2 Likes

Dude every child who has completed 10th know’s a stuff about programming, and most of the new retail traders are engineers or have some technical experience. Software has become a commodity now in my opinion and most of them know challenges and pitfalls of the same when they move to API route…

Again i understand we have a difference of opinion on this subject and dont want to change this into debate, so reiterating my request in different words “re-think on making free api available to customers (if not trading at least readonly ticker apis) with your product managers, technical team & audience poll/voice”

Thanks in advance for considering

Hello Sir,

1. Is it possible to hide some particular stock X from my holdings? or is it not possible due to regulations. I am asking this because in case I want to hold that stock for more than 10 years. But I do not want to move by daily volatility.
  2. If above condition not possible, then can we bifurcate holdings in kite (I am not talking about tagging in console). So, it will be possible to differentiate swing vs long portfolio.
    Thanking you in advance.

hmm…? You are clearly mistaken and not by a small margin, but by a mile. If you were to survey 100 people who are using free APIs, over 90% would be using it with an algo trading platform out there giving out readymade algos without being registered as an RIA/RA. And over 90% of them having no programming knowledge.

But I get your point of asking for this to be free and as I mentioned we will take a call when we think is the right time when the regulatory risk is lower.

2 Likes

Just answered a similar question here

We are working on seeing if there is a way to allow a customer secondary demat account where long-term holdings can be moved. So this not only helps with FIFO issues for taxation but also a way to ringfence an investor from selling long-term holdings in a hurry.

4 Likes

hehe :rofl:

to be fair, he tagged another person :stuck_out_tongue:

The margin calculator is updated with the latest SPAN files from today.

So you can simulate your position on this to figure out what will be the latest margin requirement as per the latest SPAN file. On Kite the margins blocked will remain as per the beginning of the day file as the new regulations block margin as per that.