Product updates over the last year at Zerodha

Here is the list of all the tech updates. Many are behind the scenes to improve the platform’s speed, efficiency and reliability.

Kite

1. Instant Sell and Unpledge: We now enable clients to instantly sell securities that are pledged for collateral margin. This spares our customers the extra day usually needed to unpledge securities, particularly valuable during market volatility. We are closing working to allow instant pledge of free securities in your account for collateral margin too.

2. Order Tagging on Kite: Previously available only on Console for post-trade implementation, you can now tag your orders directly in the order window to ensure nothing slips through the cracks.

3. Auction Orders: We are the only retail broker in India that allows placing orders in the auction market. In auction markets, the exchange invites sellers to offer their shares that are short-delivered. Stocks often trade at higher prices in these settings.

4. Government Securities on Kite: We’ve transitioned the placement of bids on government securities from Coin to Kite, allowing our users to execute both primary and secondary market trades on a single platform.

5. Virtual Contract Note: This feature provides an estimated breakdown of brokerage, STT, stamp duty, exchange transaction charges, SEBI turnover charges, and GST for the day. Unlike traditional contract notes, this version also offers order-wise charge details.

6. Trading in BSE Index Derivatives: We have introduced trading in Sensex F&O contracts.

7. ChartIQ Charting Upgrade: Our charting library has been updated to the latest version of ChartIQ, a change that had been pending for over three years. In the next quarter, we will also update our TradingView library to the latest version.

While those updates focus on the front-end experience, our tech team has been diligently working on backend improvements to ensure a faster, more reliable platform:

1. In-house OMS/RMS: Our in-house R&D OMS/RMS project that has been running for 3+ years is now in internal beta. This makes us one of the few brokers with an in-house OMS/RMS, and perhaps the one to have built one afresh in the last decade.

2. As always, we have continued to make significant and massive infrastructural upgrades and improvements for scale and stability to all our systems. Many of these are specifically with a view on scaling smoothly into the next decade.

3. Pre-application for IPOs: Users can now pre-apply for IPOs before the bid opening date.

Console- our backoffice & reporting tool

1. Family account - In Console, you can now add your family members having Zerodha demat account to your Console’s family account and view the consolidated holdings and respective analytics.

2. Verified P&L - We introduced Verified P&L allowing users to publicly share their Console P&L report by sharing a link, ensuring its authenticity. It addresses two concerns: genuine traders can enhance their credibility in the market, while consumers can depend on factual data, resulting in improved confidence in the stock market.

3. Backend database migration of our tradebooks and ledgers- Our developers found that the existing DB isn’t scalable enough. Hence, we’ve been migrating every process to a new DB, which helps us scale further and reduces the time to complete daily processes for improved efficiency.

4. Payin & Payout of securities - Across the industry, the DP process primarily depends on vendors, which comes with limitations and is slow to change. To keep up with the phase at which regulations are being amended and to launch new features quickly, we’ve started doing DP process in-house.

5. Standardisation of file formats - Both BSE and NSE updated the daily end of day files like Bhavcopy, scrip master, trade file, position files etc which are required to do the daily trade and P&L process to deduct the proper obligation and charges and for accurate reporting i.e P&L. We’ve accommodated our systems to the standardised files.

Rainmatter fintech partners

1. Sensibull is now free for all Zerodha users- In our effort to make good option tools for our traders, we have decided to offer Sensibull for free for all Zerodha users.

2. Streak market summary- Streak has build a technical dashboard that displays Top gainers, losers, market heatmap, etc for all popular indices.

3. Renewed Streak scanners- The scanners page lets you scan thousands of stocks across equities, futures, and options based on different technical indicators.The scanners page is free for all Zerodha users.

Coin

1. National Pension System (NPS scheme)- We launched the beta version of the National Pension System (NPS) on Coin. This initiative empowers our clients to invest in NPS through the Coin platform, diversifying their investment options.

2. Nudges on Coin- We introduced nudges feature on the Coin app, which was previously exclusive to the web version. This feature warns users of different lock-ins, exit loads and exposure to similar funds, duration risk, etc.

Regulatory changes that required various, trading and back-office changes

1. Live segmentwise allocation of funds to clearing corporations (CC)- CCs moved away from an end of day allocation of client funds to live or intraday for each segment (Equity, F&O and currencies). What this means is that any fund payin made by a client or credit from sale of securities need to be updated to the CCs via API instantly before allowing the client to trade. This required major backoffice changes to be done to ensure there is no delay on the client’s end.
  2. Comprehensive adaptations to Coin Mutual Fund Platform Post-SEBI’s Non-Pooling Directive: SEBI came out with a directive that restrictive use of trading account funds for mutual fund investments. In response to SEBI’s new regulations prohibiting the pooling of funds, we’ve made extensive changes across our Coin platform to comply and enhance user experience.
  • Direct Fund Deposits: Funds are now channeled directly into the clearing corporation’s bank account, rather than being pooled.
  • Backend Overhaul: A full-scale revamp of our backend systems was undertaken to enable API-based order placement.
  • Corporate Account Payment Options: To facilitate our corporate clients, we introduced NEFT and RTGS as payment options for large tick-sized orders.
  • NFO Order Placement: We transitioned the backend system for New Fund Offer (NFO) allowing our clients to place NFO orders once again.
  • Mandates for SIPs: A new mandates mechanism was introduced to automate and streamline Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs).
  • Expanded NEFT Payments: We’ve extended the option to make NEFT payments on the Coin platform to all users, further diversifying available payment methods.
  1. Payments Reconciliation on Coin- We implemented a robust payments reconciliation system in our backend infrastructure. This system facilitates the tracking and resolution of payment failures, resulting in a significant reduction in payment-related issues, including UPI, mandate, net banking, and NEFT transactions
33 Likes

Can this be enabled for cash equivalent securities too? Right now there is no point of pledging liquidbees for margin. Make a huge difference when market is volatile.

4 Likes

What does this mean? Is the haircut increased suddenly, or it takes too long to pledge or something else?

1 Like

I cannot instantly unpledge it and sell to meet market to market losses if any.
Let’s say I trade with 1cr. I keep around 20lakhs in cash just to meet mark to market losses. If there is instant unpledge option, I can buy liquidbees with this amount and then pledge it. I am losing out on this opportunity. Interest on 20 lakhs at 6 percent is 1.2L per year. And my trading capital is slightly higher. So you can only imagine my opportunity loss.

2 Likes

Hi Nithin

For the possible extended fno trading sessions on NSE, do we have any automated trade management offerings from Zerodha or its affiliates for free or a fee? If not is there something on your cards as it is not possible for a trader to sit that long.

I am happy about Z getting stronger day by day. You guys listen to your customers. I am going to add convenience and productivity options as I find in this thread. I am sure it will get addressed very soon.

1. Keep a single page for live PnL and order modification, across all platform ( web and app )
  2. On PnL page show total no of trades for the selected period at top
  3. Make the scrip name with date and time as default in Kite Alerts. Date and time will help to handle duplicates.
1 Like

@tradingops_z what is the status?

1 Like

GTT already allows for this right?

We are working on introducing newer order types as well. But do you have something specific in mind?

@tradingops_z can you all check on these requests.

The web version is really good, its minimal and neat.

There are traders like me who started punching orders on desktop terminals from late 2000s. I still prefer an .exe application over web based client.

If not for a full standalone application, can you not think of a web-based but desktop application (PWA)? Desktop applications are much faster than web based counterparts.

Agreed that web-based is highly portable & multi browser, OS and device friendly. But nothing beats the old school .exe

I’ve a basic feedback on this from a UX perspective. There should a frequency capping on the nudges at an ISIN level. In my case I do a weekly SIP in a smallcap fund and everytime have to go through the nudge before placing an order - which I feel is a very annoying experience.
In fact it makes sense for kite nudges as well. If a user has seen a nudge on a penny stock xyz, say for three times in a week, and still is trading in that stock - just suppress the nudge. I believe the purpose of the nudge is to educate users and not to act as a hurdle in the user journey.

Trailing SLs are the ones I so desprerately want. By the way, I really wish now that you have people in free time, you would ask them to design Kite 4.0 and maintain TV library to the latest, instead of retiring them of their job activities.

loved the technicals and free scanners at scanners.streak.tech a lot

Looping in @tradingops_z

We are working on launching new nudges and a global feature to configure nudges. Btw some of the nudges on penny stocks are now mandatory on every trade by the regulator.

A trailing SL is considered as an algo, and there are issues offering it to retail customers. But we are speaking to the exchanges on this.

TV latest should happen soon.

By the way, we are more busy than we have ever been. :slight_smile: No one has free time or is retired.

4 Likes

Thanks Nithin for these updates and congrats for 13 years in the industry!

This is feature request and hopefully this is the right place to raise one.
It would benefit immensely if we could have a feature to segregate different types of trades in our holdings. We would like the ability to have different sections for different trades like “Long term”, “Swing Trades”, “Short Trades” etc. This will help is many ways including budgeting and tracking. Yes I can use a different account for different types of trades but that would mean dividing capital which I don’t want.

Thanks and congrats again!

Something like this:

2 Likes

This is not true in today’s world. The Web-based apps are as fast as Desktop apps.

3 Likes

Have you checked out the tagging feature?

2 Likes

@nithin Any plan to revamp holdings page with features like:-
a) In Web version - Invested amt & Day change (in amt ) in a particular security is not shown
b) in Mobile App - Current Value of the securities is not shown on the front. (Have to click on each to check current value)
c) Add more filters to sort like Current Value, Day Change (Amt), Portfolio Weight, Security Type
d) Classify securities into categories like i) Equity ii) Index Fund iii)SGB iv) T-Bills etc.

1 Like

Yes, but it isn’t the same. Please refer the screenshot I provided in my post. The tag feature currently doesn’t show up in Holdings page, where I am most of the time keeping a watch on my PnL.

1 Like