Product updates over the last year at Zerodha

Note sure how to respond to that, “Will SEBI adopt or reject the idea of API/Algo based trading ?” No one has answer, the request that i have made is till this decision is out would love to have free access to these API’s…

Now i am not sure why you think we need a qualifier for only serious traders to use them, it has same litigation, loss probabilities if not less as web interface(kite) does nothing different… or i may have not understood the term “Serious Trader” are those quantity traders or experienced traders? either way i dont think distinction makes any sense for API access

API’s enable a new edge for new retail traders where quick decision can be taken to move in and out of position (especially when the Kite UI is really not favourable for making adjustments) and i think putting a hefty price on this will only drive away new retail traders, while you may still keep the big traders but in long run this wont scale for the business…

The more the number of people driving a car without knowing how to, the higher the chances of an accident happening and higher the chances of regulatory action when it happens. APIs are meant to be used by programmers who know what they are doing and not by retail traders who are clueless.

The risk here with free APIs is that many more can start taking the risk of being on random algo platforms and, eventually a large blowout, bringing this entire API business to an end. I don’t think most brokers offering this for free are thinking of long-term risks. As you mentioned, business-wise, we will probably make a lot more money through brokerage fees than API charges if we make it free. But then it wouldn’t be the smart thing to do given all the risks I mentioned earlier.

2 Likes

Dude every child who has completed 10th know’s a stuff about programming, and most of the new retail traders are engineers or have some technical experience. Software has become a commodity now in my opinion and most of them know challenges and pitfalls of the same when they move to API route…

Again i understand we have a difference of opinion on this subject and dont want to change this into debate, so reiterating my request in different words “re-think on making free api available to customers (if not trading at least readonly ticker apis) with your product managers, technical team & audience poll/voice”

Thanks in advance for considering

Hello Sir,

1. Is it possible to hide some particular stock X from my holdings? or is it not possible due to regulations. I am asking this because in case I want to hold that stock for more than 10 years. But I do not want to move by daily volatility.
  2. If above condition not possible, then can we bifurcate holdings in kite (I am not talking about tagging in console). So, it will be possible to differentiate swing vs long portfolio.
    Thanking you in advance.

hmm…? You are clearly mistaken and not by a small margin, but by a mile. If you were to survey 100 people who are using free APIs, over 90% would be using it with an algo trading platform out there giving out readymade algos without being registered as an RIA/RA. And over 90% of them having no programming knowledge.

But I get your point of asking for this to be free and as I mentioned we will take a call when we think is the right time when the regulatory risk is lower.

2 Likes

Just answered a similar question here

We are working on seeing if there is a way to allow a customer secondary demat account where long-term holdings can be moved. So this not only helps with FIFO issues for taxation but also a way to ringfence an investor from selling long-term holdings in a hurry.

4 Likes

hehe :rofl:

to be fair, he tagged another person :stuck_out_tongue:

The margin calculator is updated with the latest SPAN files from today.

So you can simulate your position on this to figure out what will be the latest margin requirement as per the latest SPAN file. On Kite the margins blocked will remain as per the beginning of the day file as the new regulations block margin as per that.

Come on thats an honest mistake… :wink:

1 Like

I dont want to be pushy, but whats your opinion on providing free readonly access to historical data for at least index options via API ? I see very low risk from a regulation point of view…

I guess companies without revenue targets go the farthest trying to make revenues.

@nithin would seek your regulatory foresight on the delayed payment charges on account of eod margin shortfall (and not because of less than 50% margin coming from cash equivalent, please note) - in cases where the first communication from zerodha on the shortfall in the form of margin calls is arriving the next day? And how comfortable are you charging this?
Ticket #20230907761453 for reference (yesterday’s conversation)

@Nithin, two issues with that:

a) Main thing being that weekly options aren’t there in the calculator, and since there’s a difference in margin between the weekly & monthly options, so only for the last expiry of the month, this would work.

b) Am pretty sure the Mid Cap options don’t get updated on the calculator (intraday). Have noticed that even on Kite, the Mid Cap margins aren’t updated after EOD which is not the case with others (Nifty, FinNifty, Banknifty). @Ananth or someone else can correct me on this if am wrong here.

1 Like

@TheGouda is checking on this. We will get back to you soon.

@Ananth @tradingops_z + +

@nithin When you are at it can you please ask your team to enable the stick order window for pop out charts (in TV) as well? It’s been almost a year since @MohammedFaisal said we’ll get this updated but still it’s nowhere to be seen. :pray:

2 Likes

a) We are working on adding weekly options on web margin calcy.

b) We upload only BOD SPAN for all contracts on Kite Funds page (at RMS level), Order window and on Basket due to margin shortfall penalty is charged based on BOD file and any reduction in intraday SPAN margin compare to BOD Span would result in margin penalty. So we have started uploading intraday SPAN only in web margin calcy for trader to maintain sufficient margin for next day specifically for overnight carried positions. There shouldn’t be any difference between contracts since SPAN file contain all contracts but will cross check at our end and update here if there is any discrepancies and rectify if required.

show profit or loss change(percentage) in position tab (kite mobile).

1 Like

This will be implemented in the next app update.

@Arockiya_Raja will update on an implementation date for this.

There are two spot in kite header (mobile). I have pinned Nifty 50 and bank nifty in spot 1 and spot 2.

whenever I open order window it open in full screen.

Can you make kite header fixed so when if I open order window I can still see header.

1 Like