Product updates over the last year at Zerodha

That is a valid point. If we lose the mobile phone which has the TOTP, SMS and Email - the passwords, otps can be misused.

Earlier we had a desi jugaad by keeping the stocks, MF etc in pledged mode. Wherein unpledge will take more than 24hrs (by that time we could contact customer care and block the SIM).

For pure investors - if the instant unpledge option can be disabled - it may become a work around.

I am requesting this feature from ages to Nithin sir. His hands are sadly tied up with SEBI regulations. SEBI should get more advanced as the time demands.

My niece is studying CA and her admit card and exam papers came in her mobile , from CA board. They used kernel level security for those documents. You can only download and view the documents from the phone you registered with CA website . While registering, they secretly installs a file in the Android kernel to validate the phone for future logins.
Afaik , only reputed govt entities can get to kernel level of Android. It’s a fool proof setup. If kernel security breaches, phone will run in restart loop. Then we have to re- flash the orginal OS.

I told this 100 times to our boss to impliment a trusted device option for login. Two devices only. No app , web credentials matter then.
If you want to to login to kite from any other means ,you need to have any of your trusted devices in hand. No hassle of OTP sms delivery issue ( I faced that )

I kind of like the sound of it, besides that I know govt has what level of access to your phone. Even if not kernel level, something like what pixels & chromebooks do shall be introduced to even general security concerns.

@nithin Congratulations on completing 13 years. It seems like time has flown past since your posts in traderji.com

Is it possible to have a stick window for GTT. You already have one for order window, so it might be quiet simple to implement.

Also whenever there is off-market transfer (Zerodha to Zeodha) the prices should be fetched from previous account holder purchase price or left to user to sort through the discrepancy

Excuse me for making that confusion. I was talking about the console ( reports page ).
Trades are numbered sub 1,2,3 … pages. We don’t get the total number of trades done in the given time period.

On tablets and phones , when we are adding stop loss or placing target , we don’t see the live price or live pnl . It’s entirely another tab.

I have added the image with enough space to keep a live pnl place holder. If you could do that , that would be awesome :+1:

1 Like

Few suggestions @nithin :-

1- Kite own option chain insted of providing 3rd party option chain with greeks, oi , volume etc and make it available for MCX too .

2-Combined wallet (Securities + commodities)
if possible, maintaining seperate margin is difficult or alternatively built a seamless Funds transfer machenism b/w securities & commodities.

3-QR based login on kite , console & coin.

4-Trader from charts (BUY/SELL) is available on CHART-IQ charts but not on TRADING-VIEW charts , if possible please Make it available on TV charts too.

5- Online DDPI activation.

2 Likes

Hi @nithin
Few of my suggestions on zerodha, please pass it on to your team if you find it useful
1. Show live time on kite web, preferably on the navbar between logo and dashboard button

2. On the Dashboard, below market overview, please add an option to see the most commonly followed global indices

3. Enable an auto square off option when the account mtm hits a certain level say -20k or so on. This will help people having strict MTM SL per day

4. Show Family Equity curve as well along with the account equity curve ( You replied to me earlier that your team is working on something like a MF NAV curve for individual account, would love to see this extended to linked family accounts)

5. Last one, option to add additional holdings to track outside of zerodha which will solve my issue of having to track all the holdings in google finance portfolio, I know its a bit too much to ask :smile:

1 Like

Hello Nitin,

Just few recommendation on Kite web and Mobile App,

1. The UI where you make people search for FnO stike prices etc sucks there has to be a better way to do this. Atleast give a page with option chain so its useable to users, I am currently using sensibull its free for now so its great but what happens when they start to charge (since its afterall they are running business for them as well)

2. Please introduce a time delay parameter in GTT for bracket orders since markets operates on 2 dimensions Time and Price the first dimension is missing.

3. Open a new plan which is fixed monthly brokerage unlimited trades, 20Rs per trade is really high resistance to get into market

4. Enable GTT (Bracket Order) for multiple legs together a.k.a Basket GTT trigger trade based on PnL of the basket and not just one instrument.

The issue with showing time is that it may not be in sync with exchange time. And this could lead to complaints. Why can’t two clocks be in exact sync is something you can google on the topic.

Showing live prices of indices involves a data feed cost. It is more expensive if it is behind a login. Google, Investing.com etc., can show it at a lower cost as it is accessible publicly. We are unsure about showing delayed feeds, as it can be misleading on a trading app.

On our list of things and we are working towards launching this.

@TheGouda ?

Yep, working towards this as well.

3 Likes

Sensibull will remain free forever. :slight_smile: We are working on a native option chain integration as well (powered by sensibull) which will make this easier.

Hmmm… I didn’t get this? GTT to fire an order at a certain time?

I have answered here before that a fixed monthly plan isn’t something that makes any business sense. @Meher_Smaran can you link that post here.

Hmmm… we will discuss this. I think it will end up becoming like an algo. @tradingops_z + +

1 Like

GTT with time dimension means if price action triggers GTT it will wait for X minutes post which if the trigger condition is still satisfied then it pushes for order, why such a behaviour is needed? Cause charts move in a anaconda (S, W, V shape) pattern which immediately triggers SL, delaying SL will invalidates such spikes.

For basket SL’s and the above behaviour are not algo, they may help to reduce infra burden on your side and better profit probabilities on traders side… I would call a system algo when it scans, computes price and volume and then enters and exits trade completely autonomous

Anyhow all i did was point some short commings previously, I should also like to some love :heart: what you guys have built is awesome and a tending product, keep up the good work team.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @pyarlath

Check this post by @nithin to know the rationale with regards to how fixed brokerage isn’t really a viable option from a business point of view

And this might also lead to complacency for traders as well in both the short and long run.

I know this might sound a bit weird coming from a broking company saying that traders shouldn’t maybe overtrade, But, we would rather want our clients to stay with us for decades creating wealth rather than overtrade and lose money and generate revenue for a very short term.

Overtrading is one of the main reasons for most traders losing money most of the time.

There’s ample amount of solid research on this and many traders will also vouch for it.

Our key goal as a business is to help people do better with their money and eventually create wealth over the long run.

Thank you for your sincere feedback and kind words :heart::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, autosaving of drawings in charts is the only reason I have to use Tradingview separately right now. Drawings must be saved on chart by default without a time limit.

1 Like

Not weird(or altruistic) considering the context you made your comment in. It sounds like the business likes the money its making and doesnt want to subsidize anything. Fair enough.

1 Like

I am currently paying Rupees 30 thousand of brokerage per month to Zerodha. Do you think your altruistic motives [not sure what that means] will make me stick to Zerodha once I get a low-brokerage option outside with parity in features? Leave alone decades.

Just think about it.

I know it’s a government regulation but charging brokerage and taxes on exit order in day trading makes no sense. You enter a trade, obviously one has to exit the trade, why the double tax? Bunch of greeds who make this regulation.

Hi @VijayNair @paekut

While it comes naturally to us as it is fully aligned with our core philosophy, The growth in the industry and business in the recent years has placed an additional responsibility on the businesses especially the Industry leaders to set expectations right, focus on long term stability over short term exuberance and do things which are right for customers, industry and eventually the business in the long run.

Hence, Our focus has always been to improve and provide the best possible experience for traders and Investors while nudging them to focus a bit more on the long term by focusing on learning, discipline, diversification and risk and money management.

This is my personal view and not as a team member of Zerodha.

You should definitely try other products if you think the pricing there is low and see how it works out.

But what I’ve observed over the years across multiple fields is:

There are no free lunches in this world. Everything comes with a cost and while the costs of running the business has significantly grown along with all the associated risks ranging from regulatory, markets related like any black swan events etc in the last decade, the prices have remained same or have either reduced, so, yeah, we are more likely near bottom range of pricing rather than the higher range and this is not just about Zerodha but I’m talking about the industry as a whole.

While I’m super optimistic as a permanent bull, If there is any big bear market, all the industry growth which is already plateauing can goes for a toss and things can be dramatically different. So, better to be nimble and be prepared for the worst while riding the bull run while it lasts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No ‘Free Lunch’, but theres the ‘Free market’. I’d bet there would be more price/otm concious traders considering other options once exchanges start providing ‘risk mitigation service’ for ‘broker glitches’.

2 Likes

Rightfully so :slight_smile: