Revision in expiry day of Nifty Bank F&O contracts from Thursday to Friday

Update June 27, 2023: As per the joint press release by BSE and NSE. NSE has decided to withdraw it’s decision to change expiry date of Nifty Bank F&O contracts to Friday.

NSE has announced a revision in the expiry day of Futures and Options contracts on Nifty Bank (BANKNIFTY) from Thursday to Friday. The changes will come into effect from July 7, 2023. The expiry day for Nifty F&O contracts will continue to be on Thursday.

Expiry Day Current Expiry Revised Expiry Day
Weekly Contracts Thursday of every week All existing weekly contracts will expire on Friday of every week. If Friday is a trading holiday, contracts will expire on the previous trading day.
Monthly Contracts Last Thursday of the expiry month All monthly expiry contracts will expire on the last Friday of each month. If Friday is a trading holiday, contracts will expire on the previous trading day.

How does this work?

At the end of the day on July 6, 2023, the expiry date of all existing contracts will be revised to Friday as mentioned above.

For example;

If the expiry/maturity date of the existing contract maturing on July 13, 2023 (Thursday) will be postponed to July 14, 2023 (Friday).

If the expiry/maturity date of the existing contract maturing on the last Thursday of the month i.e August 31, 2023 (Thursday) will be preponed to August 25, 2023 (Friday) of the respective current expiry month

All the contracts introduced for trading on or after July 6, 2023, will be created as per the new expiry day.

Does this affect my open positions?

No, this does not have any effect on the open positions you hold. The change is only in the expiry day of the contract. All other contract specifications remain the same.

You can check the announcement from the exchange here:

12 Likes

But why?

NSE should also change NIFTY expiry to Friday.

seriously, why ?

People here are happy their prayers are answered when banknifty and nifty50 expiries were split. So that we can reuse the same margin for trades.

what is the logic to combine them together again?

1 Like

just to stick it to bse more!

1 Like

Should have moved it to Monday so that we could have expiry everyday. :grimacing:

Bankex will probably do that :smiley:

Monday you can have ala carte, rest 4 days buffet !

on a serious note: 1 off day can help in Discretionary trading over Expiry trading strategies.

now call for NIFTY IT derivatives on Monday :smiley:

1 Like

Also can afford to take one day overnight risk. Now this daily expiries may make me a full time trader. Might have to surrender my membership. :grimacing::grimacing:

And then keep markets open on Saturdays. :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:
FMCG index may be? :thinking:

Bring it on! We are all addicts here :smiling_imp:

I think recruiting some staffs or interns to watch the charts is not a bad idea !

unsung index, due to low beta.

NiftyIT on the other hand will be a minting machine - take a look today. It has all the build up to be India’s NASDAQ

Nooo. I want Saturday Sunday off. If it’s open then I will trade. I want my personal life. :sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

if i have to trade on sun/sat also, you can expect my expiry coming soon :sweat_smile:

because too many people have come in the market, ruining it for everyone. when too many people come anywhere things change regulation comes in and ruins it for everyone. There is much more to this logic but people will get triggered if i write it here.

Ah, you hard working discretionary traders :grin:

65% of my capital is in automated strategies but i still manage to make more using 35% of the capital. So yeah, no reason to give it up :sweat_smile:

Then do more automated with any extra trading hours or expiries man.