SEBI bans naked short selling

RIP cash market volumes!!

What was on ventilator from last few years thnks to options mania is now officially dusted…

Can anyone let me know how price discovery happens if they ban short selling n how small traders are supposed to capture any shorting opportunity in non FnO stocks

2 Likes

Not clear on what exactly has changed. Would be bad for me if they disallow short selling intraday for retail.
Long only leads to lower returns and more risk.

Short selling in Futures only is not very viable as so many of them get banned so frequently + we have some good scrips outside FnO too. Stocks are not getting added to futures these days, look at DMART …

Biggest problem for Indian traders is that we are not allowed to trade foreign markets and so only have so many liquid instruments available + heavily taxed + concentrated regulation risk.

1 Like

Nithin sir now retailer traders will not be able to short selling in equity intraday and short selling in future and option for stocks

1 Like

Bans?? Am I reading something contradictory

:fearful:

3 Likes

What is the news here? I understand that all this was detailed in the October’23 SEBI Master Circular.

Deepak Shenoy seems to have given a good explanation here:
https://twitter.com/deepakshenoy/status/1743262308460339358

2 Likes

looks like its only for institutional investors. This might bring more volume to index trading, hopefully midcap monthly will gain more volume.

I thought it was for only SLB at a glance on the SEBI circular. Wait, it is from a news channel making hype and talking sh*t all day. Seems like reporting is to be done on short sell trading from SLB.

is short straddle allowed or not?

No changes for retailers. Refer to the thread below for detailed clarification:

1 Like