Separate Section like Longterm and short term For same stocks

@nithin
dear nithin sir, this is the one issue may be many people are facing. as we all know that we cannot open two accounts with one broker(zerodha). personally i love zerodha and its platform so I dont want to go with others.

The problem here is for example - i bought SBIN for Longterm holding, meanwhile i also wanted to do swing trading in SBIN . Now problem is if I buy SBIN for swing purpose it will get averaged with my Longterm holdings.

It would be very helpful if zerodha provides separate sections in holdings , were we can keep any stock for Longterm or short term without disturbing/averaging it.

5 Likes

We are discussing in the office if it is possible to open two demat accounts and manage this.

5 Likes

Hello sir. Belated birthday wishes :gift:
This is going to be a necessity since fractional trading also coming. There should be a division to keep/ show the intraday , swing , long term trades.
Or else our holding page will look 'more ’ messy. Easy way is to show the tags in holdings page, just below the invested amount. At least that can show what type of trade is that. Bonus use for tags too. You can then take time and implement new updates.

Could be possible to have more than one demat account with the same broker for the same person :smile:
this would solve numerous small but yet little annoying problems :smiley:

thank you so much sir… this will solve huge problem…

This would be great for separation of investment goals, however if 2 Demat accounts is not possible, even if zerodha could provide a “theme” or “profile” type of separation within the same account, it would work. So for e.g. I could create 2 themes - 1 for swing, 1 for investments - and Kite can show me the holdings separately under each theme, even though at the backend they’re both on the same demat account, just categorized differently for display purposes, alternatively repurpose the tags for something like this?

This feature would be fantastic!

Showing on Kite is tricky, but you can use tags on Console for this already.

1 Like

Nithin sir , please add tags to holdings page also.

thanks for sharing this, I didn’t know the reporting capabilities behind the tags feature, will check it out!

Sir, any updates on this??

Yeah, we have added this to our list of things to do.

@TheGouda @Ruchi_Porwal can update here once we have a timeline.

2 Likes

With Console Tag feature FIFO is still applicable. right ?
Does SEBI or Exchange allow brokers to open two demat for same PAN card ?

I have the same question what will happen if I purchase a share at Rs. 100 for the long term and later purchase the same shares at 110 but this time for swing and then sell these shares at 140 (the ones I bought for swing) what will be STCG? 140-100(FIFO) or 140-110?

Yes, two demats are allowed, and Yes FIFO is used for Console tags. So the only way to separate is to have an alternative demat account where the long-term stock holdings can be moved to.

2 Likes

Looking forward to this @nithin

@TheGouda @Ruchi_Porwal ,

Hi, when can we expect this 2 demat accounts thing ??? how long it may take??

thank you.

We’re already working on a couple of new features on Console. Dual demat is on our list of things to do; it will take some time.

1 Like

Sir what of we can sort in same demat account
Like short term, long term and maybe trader’s segments

So we can FIFO it with that respective segment itself than whole demat level.

I know it’s very complex…but is this an possibility to go. We really love your platform. I myself opened 12 account’s in my friends and family to use zerodha.

This is not allowed by Income Tax rules. So this is not something Zerodha can do. As per tax rules, FIFO applies at the demat account level. So the credits and debits to any one demat account, will have to be accounted using FIFO for tax computation.

2 Likes