Tags on Kite web (beta): Trading journal & tracking goals

We launched tags on Console last year. Using tags on Console you can tag holdings to a goal like retirement, child’s education, etc. You can then view the portfolio by tags or goals. You can also tag trades to create custom P&Ls based on all trades tagged. Such custom P&L can then act as a trading journal. So, for example, if you tag all trades taken based on a certain technical analysis strategy (say RSI), you can filter the P&L by that tag to see the net P&L.

This post which we shared last year talks about tags on Console.

One issue with Console tags is that you can tag holdings or trades only at the end of the day, that is, after taking a trade, which is easy to miss. We now have tags on Kite web, so you can tag a trade to a goal or reason for taking a trade (trading journal) while placing the order itself. At the end of the trading day, all tags get automatically imported to Console holdings and P&L. You can then use the tag filter to track your goals, what strategies or reasons for taking a trade are working, and what are not. Knowing what works and what doesn’t and doing more of what works is probably the best way to improve as a trader.

Kite tags are available on the Web and will soon be on Mobile. We will introduce tags on Coin for mutual funds as well.

This is how you can create new tags on Kite web.

adding_tag_through_kite

This is how you can tag orders while placing them on Kite web.

using_tags_in_the_order

Hoping that Kite tags help you better track goals and get better as a trader. We will make an official announcement on our blog Zconnect in a few days.

This is currently in beta, and if you spot any issues, do let us know below.

16 Likes

By the way, the next step with Kite tags is to show the historical P&L of a particular tag while an order is being tagged. The idea is to nudge users even before an order is placed if the reason for placing an order has historically worked or not.

3 Likes

Thanks for the continuous improvement of Kite.
I currently monitor the XIRR at an account level manually. A simple bird’s eye view - Money in, Money Out, Portfolio Value. Any chance something like be considered at a portfolio level ?
TIA

1 Like

We are working on the equity curve for the account and a plot of the daily NAV for the account. Similar to how MFs do it. Quite a complex project given the size of data and all the crunching that needs to be done to be able to do this across millions of customers.

2 Likes

API had them since years and finally will we be able to tag them via APIs and reflect on console too ?

I tried that if we set tag in t:<tagName>:<tagID> form via APIs, it reflects on console. Hopefully it can be made bit more simpler…

Thanks

1 Like

Yeah, we will document this in the API docs soon.

@Prayag @Arockiya_Raja can you update here once it is done.

1 Like

Sir, Do Zerodha have any plan to provide trading journal to users?

hmm… you can use tags as trading journal, that is what I have explained above?

If by trading journal, you mean note taking, we are evaluating.

2 Likes

I mean full fledged site like edgewonk, tradesviz. thank you for reply sir.

1 Like

There are a few options on the market. notaloss.com is one of them. You can import trades from zerodha.

Disclaimer - Its my company,

I’ve found some issues with the tags feature which I’m highlighting below

1. Let’s say I go long on BAJAJ-AUTO22DECFUT and exit the position. Then I short the same ticker and exit that position as well. So there are 4 trades, two tagged as ‘long-futures’ and remaining 2 tagged as ‘short-futures’. ‘Portfolio > Tags’ page shows incorrect P&L for such trades having multiple tags
  2. Let’s say I have an open long position in BAJAJ-AUTO22DECFUT qty 250. When I place a single sell order with 500 qty, in effect I’m exiting the existing long position and creating a new short position. When I try to tag these two trades separately as ‘long-futures’ and ‘short-futures’ it automatically applies both tags to the trade since the order id was common
  3. ‘Portfolio > Tags’ page (Console – Zerodha) shows Gross P&L and doesn’t show charges/Net P&L. ‘Reports > P&L’ page (Kite - Zerodha's fast and elegant flagship trading platform) shows both Gross P&L and Net P&L. It would be nice if both these pages were in sync
  1. There should be same tag for the entry and exit of any strategy. In your case, the first buy & sell should be tagged as “Long futures”, and the next sell & buy orders should be “Short futures”.
  2. If you apply multiple tags for an order, it is applied to all the successful trades in that order. The Kite doesn’t calculate which is the entry or exit order as per the chosen tags. Auto-tagging exit orders is on our list of things to do.
  3. We’ll look into the possibilities.

We’re checking this, someone from our team will reach out.

Facing 2 issues with tags

1. While some of them are applied instantly, some of them are taking forever to apply. Even after 3 days I can still see them in “Pending” state(SS attached)
  2. If an instrument is attached with multiple tags, say 10 units with Tag A and 10 units with Tag B, and I filter my holdings with Tag A, the entire quantity of 20 is shown against that instrument instead of just 10. This makes it difficult to keep track of your portfolio

TagsPendingState

Hey Abhishek, DMing you for more details.

We’re aware of this limitation in the current flow. We’ll try and improve it in the upcoming updates.

Firstly, i really appreciate you for this amazing feature. My doubt is, how is it nudging before order is being placed? Discretionary trading or System trading? :thinking:

It will be good if we can keep a screenshot of chart in tags to know from where we entered the trade and exited the trade. And a small notes feature to note down fundamentals or events happened on that day. So that when we look historical trades we can identify mistakes easily. It will help technical traders very much. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also a small graph showing total wins and losses in the selected period.

I don’t think API tags are reflected on console! Can someone from zerodha confirm this? By when will we able to send the tags through API?

When we place an order with tags from Kite, the tag details are sent in the following format: t:tag:id

If a user uses the same format to tag an order via the API, it will be displayed in the console. Currently, it is not possible to create this tag using the API since tag creation happens on the console.